Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme is an initiative of the Bihar Government that offers education loans up to INR 4 lakh at a simple interest rate** of 4% to students who have completed either Class 12 or Class 10 (for polytechnic courses). This scheme aims to provide financial support to the students of Bihar who are unable to continue their education due to lack of money.
Under the scheme, the Bihar State Education Finance Corporation will provide a guarantee* against the education loan offered to students.
Female applicants, Persons with Disabilities (PwD), and transgender candidates are eligible for the loan at a reduced interest rate of 1%. Furthermore, students will be exempted from paying interest on the loan during a moratorium period of one year after completing the course or for a duration of 6 months after securing employment, whichever comes first.
Under the scheme, the Bihar State Education Finance Corporation will be involved in providing a guarantee against the education loan offered to students. This education loan will cover both living expenses associated with education and tuition fees of the institution including hostel fees. Additionally, where hostel facilities are unavailable, the loan can also be used to cover the cost of rented accommodation. The loan is available for students enrolled in general courses like B.A./B.Sc. and professional/technical courses such as engineering/medical/management/law.
The Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme was launched in 2016. It is a part of Aarthik Hal, Yuvaon Ko Bal, one of the programs within the 7 Nishchay Program Scheme under the Bihar Vikas Mission.
|Note: A guarantee* against loans is a commitment made by the government to assume responsibility for the repayment of a loan in the event that the borrower is unable to fulfill their repayment obligations.
Simple interest rate** refers to the interest charged on a loan, which is calculated based solely on the initial principal amount and a fixed interest rate. It does not involve compounding, where borrowers accrue interest on both the principal amount and any previously accumulated interest over multiple payment periods.
Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme – Overview
|Name of the Scheme||Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme (BSCC) under the ‘Aarthik Hal, Yuvaon Ko Bal’ program|
|Launched By||The Government of Bihar|
|Aim of the Scheme||Provide financial support to students who have either passed Class 12 or Class 10 (for polytechnic courses)|
|Benefits||Education loan of up to INR 4 lakh at a simple interest rate of 4% per annum
Female applicants, PwD, and transgender candidates can receive education loan at a simple interest rate of 1% per annum
Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme – Eligibility Criteria
- Students enrolled in general courses like B.A./B.Sc. and professional/technical courses such as engineering/medical/management/law are eligible.
- Applicants should be permanent residents of Bihar and should not be self-employed.
- The applicant’s age should not exceed 25 years at the time of application. However, for prescribed postgraduate courses where the minimum qualification is graduation, the maximum age limit is extended to 30 years.
- The applicant must be admitted or selected for admission to a recognized institute of higher education (as per the regulations set by the relevant regulatory agency of Bihar or another state/central government).
- Students must have passed Class 12 or equivalent exam or Class 10 (for polytechnic courses) from a recognized institute in Bihar.
- Applicants from neighbouring states such as Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal who have either passed Class 10 (for polytechnic courses) or Class 12 are also eligible.
- If an applicant has successfully completed and obtained a degree at a particular level, they are ineligible to apply for a course at the same level, except in the case of technical or managerial courses. For instance, a student who has already completed a B.Com. degree and now wishes to pursue another bachelor’s course such as B.B.A., B.C.A., B.M.S., etc., would not be eligible to apply for this scheme.
- In case of applicants staying in hostels, the loan amount will be directly provided to the educational institution.
Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme – Important Documents
A list of the required documents to apply for the student credit card scheme is given below –
- Aadhaar cards of the applicant and co-applicant
- Two passport-size photographs of the applicant and co-applicant, such as parents/spouse/guardian
- Mark sheet and certificate of (10+2), (10th for Polytechnic syllabus), and last qualified examination
- Certificates related to scholarship and free education (if applicable)
- Institute enrollment certificate in which the course and its duration are mentioned
- Course brochure for the institution located outside Bihar
- Photocopy of the applicant’s bank passbook, in which the name of the branch, account number, and IFSC code are mentioned
- Course fee details received from the institution
- Photocopy of a residential certificate or the first page of a bank passbook/electricity bill/telephone bill/ passport/driving license/voter ID card (Note – Applicant address should be clearly mentioned in any one of these documents)
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
- Income tax return certificate of the last two years
- Income certificate of the last year/Form 16
- Tax receipt
Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme – How to Apply?
To apply for the scheme, applicants need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. Visit the official website.
2. Click on the ‘New Applicant Registration’ tab.
3. Provide all the required information, which includes name, email ID, Aadhaar number, and mobile number, and click on the ‘Send OTP’ button.
4. The one-time password (OTP) will be sent to the registered mobile number and email address.
5. After entering the OTP, a personal description and contact form will appear.
6. Fill in the form with all the required information to access the Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme application form.
7. Enter the desired information in the application form and submit it.
8. After successfully submitting the form, a unique registration number will be sent to the registered mobile number and email address. (Note – No documents will be required to be submitted online.)
9. Upon completion, a PDF version of the form will be generated, containing details regarding the necessary documents and the designated time to visit the District Registration and Counseling Centre (DRCC) counter for further processing of the application.
10 On the prescribed date of the visit, arrive at the District Registration and Counseling Centre (DRCC), carrying the application form along with the required documents in the prescribed format.
11. Once all the documents are submitted, take the receipt for the application from the designated counter.
Note – Corrections and amendments to the application form will be made on the spot by the Multi-Purpose Assistant (MPA).
*District Registration and Counseling Centre (DRCC) is a registered office of the Government of Bihar where people need to register before applying to any government scheme or service.
How to Track Application Status for Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme?
To track the application for the scheme, the applicants are required to follow the following steps:
1. Visit the official website.
2. Now, click on the ‘Application Status’ tab.
3. Fill in the required details like Registration ID/Aadhaar Card Number, Date of Birth, and Captcha Code and click on the ‘Submit’ button to see the status of the application.
Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme – Contact Details
|Telephone Number||18003456444 (toll-free)|
Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme – FAQs
What is DRCC?
The District Registration and Counseling Centre (DRCC) is the registered office of the Bihar Government where people can apply for different government schemes and services.
What is the importance of the DRCC in the Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme?
To avail of the scheme, all applicants who apply online are obligated to verify their original documents at the District Registration and Counseling Center.
What is the interest rate offered under the Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme?
The Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme offers an interest rate of 4%. However, female applicants, Persons with Disabilities (PwD), and transgender candidates are eligible to receive the education loan at a simple interest rate of 1%.
What schemes are available under the ‘Aarthik Hal, Yuvaon Ko Bal’ program?
The 'Aarthik Hal, Yuvaon Ko Bal' program encompasses three distinct schemes: the Chief Minister's Self-Help Allowance, the Bihar Student Credit Card Scheme, and the Skilled Youth Program.
Can an applicant apply for more than one scheme under the ‘Aarthik Hal, Yuvaon Ko Bal’ program?
No, applicants can apply for one scheme at a time.
What are the documents required to be uploaded at the time of filling out the online application?
No document is required to be uploaded online while filling out the online application.
Is there a deadline to apply for this student credit card scheme?
No, there is no deadline for applying for this credit card scheme. Applicants can apply at any time, depending on their qualifications and the eligibility criteria of the scheme.
How will the applicant know that the application process is complete?
On completion of the application process, the applicant will receive an email to their registered email address with a PDF file. The file will be proof of the completion of the application process.
What are the 7 Nishcay Schemes?
The Bihar government has introduced the 7 Nishchay Schemes under the Bihar Vikas Mission to enhance various essential services such as education, agriculture, housing, and other necessary facilities. The seven schemes are as follows: Aarthik Hal, Yuvaon ka bal; Aarakshit Rozgar, Mahilaon ka Adhikar; Har Ghar Bijli; Har Ghar Nal ka Jal; Ghar Tak Pakki Gali Naaliyan; Shauchalaya Nirman, Ghar Ka Samman; Awsar Badhe, Aage Padhein.