Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship, (बेगम हजरत महल छात्रवृत्ति योजना) formerly known as Maulana Azad Scholarship (मौलाना आजाद स्कालरशिप). It is a national-level scholarship started for the benefit of girl students belonging to minority communities. The Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship started with the objective of financially supporting meritorious girl students.
The scholarship provides financial assistance ranging from INR 10,000 to INR 12,000 to students selected from Classes 9 to 12. Funded by the Government of India and implemented by Maulana Azad Education Foundation, almost 6 lakh girl students have received the benefits of this scholarship till now.
Read the full article to know more about the eligibility criteria, awards, key dates, and application procedure for the Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship.
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – An Overview
|Name of Scholarship
|Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship
|Maulana Azad Education Foundation
|Girls students belonging to minority communities
|INR 10,000 to INR 12,000 annually
|Last Date to Apply
|15 November 2022
About Maulana Azad Education Foundation
A non-profit making, voluntary, non-political social service organization, the Maulana Azad Education Foundation works towards promoting education among minority communities of the society which include Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain and Parsi religions.
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship is meant for only girl students belonging to the six notified minority communities which include Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain and Parsi religions. The details of the eligibility criteria are mentioned below.
- Applicants studying in classes 9 to 12 can apply for the scholarship
- Applicants must have secured at least 50% marks or equivalent grades (aggregate) in the previous class
- The annual family income of the candidate must not be more than INR 2 Lakh from all sources
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Key Documents
Before filling out the registration form, the applicants are advised to keep all the necessary documents with them. The size of each document must not exceed 200 KB and should be in JPG, PNG or PDF format. The list of documents that the candidates need to have is highlighted below.
- Recent passport-size photograph of the applicant
- School verification form attested by the Principal of the school/institute
- Mark sheet of the last exam passed attested by the Principal
- Parents/Guardians’ income certificate issued by a competent authority declared by the State/UTs Administration.
- Self-declaration of minority community certificate by the applicant
- Self-certified copy of the first page of the bank/postal account passbook which should be in the name of the applicant (either single or joint account with her parents)
- A copy of the applicant’s Aadhaar card (in case of unavailability of an Aadhaar card, applicants can submit a birth certificate, BPL card or Rashan card)
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Awards
The previously known Maulana Azad Scholarship provides financial aid to minority girl students to help them complete their schooling without facing any financial hurdles. The scholarship is given for admission, course/tuition fee and maintenance allowance. The details of the Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship amount are highlighted below.
|Books or stationery expenses, tuition fees, lodging/boarding charges
|INR 10,000 annually, which will be released in two instalments of INR 5,000 for each student (quarterly)
|Books or stationery expenses, school fees, lodging/boarding charges
|INR 12,000 annually, which will be released in two instalments of INR 6,000 for each student (quarterly)
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Key Dates
This scholarship is generally announced every year in the month of July and its deadline falls in the month of September. For the year 2023, the scholarship application start and end dates are mentioned below.
|Application registration start date
|Yet to be announced
|Application registration closing date
|Yet to be announced
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Application Process
To make the scholarship application process easy for the applicants, the Maulana Azad Education Foundation (MAEF) allows students to apply online for the scholarship through its scholarship portal. Find the steps below to fill out the Begum Hazrat Mahal scholarship application form.
- Visit the official NSP website.
- Applicants applying for the first time need to register themselves on the National Scholarship Portal by filling out the ‘Student Registration Form’.
- A page of Guidelines for Registration on NSP will open.
- Go through the guidelines carefully.
- Click on ‘Continue’ to proceed.
- Fill in all required details.
- Click on ‘Register’.
- The applicants must log in using their registered mobile number and date of birth to fill out the scholarship form.
- Click on the login button to start the scholarship application.
- While filling out the scholarship form, applicants need to give information regarding their bank details, marks details, parents’ occupation and income details.
- Students also need to upload the required documents and then, finally, submit the application form.
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Selection Process
The applicants for Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship are selected on the basis of their annual family income. The applicants with at least 50% marks in the previous exam are selected for the disbursal of the Begum Hazrat Scholarship based on the lower-income criteria.
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Renewal Policy
Since the applications are open for all the classes, i.e., Classes 9 to 12, any application for renewal of the Begum Hazrat Scholarship will not be entertained. Students need to apply afresh for each class in order to avail the benefits of this minority scholarship.
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Application Status
The applicants can check the status of their scholarship application on the MAEF Scholarship Portal by entering their application details such as scholarship category, identification details and date of birth.
- Visit the official website of Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship.
- Tap and click on the Begum Hazrat Mahal National scholarship.
- Click on the status check option.
- Enter scholarship category, identification details, date of birth, and captcha
- Now click on the view application status option.
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Terms and Conditions
There are a few terms and conditions that should be followed by the applicants while filling out the application form. The details of some of them are highlighted below.
- Begum Hazrat Scholarship is disbursed based on the minority population in each State/UT as per Census 2011.
- Preference is given to applicants with the lowest income during scholarship distribution.
- Income certificates should be submitted in English/Hindi or a self-certified version in a regional language.
- Only one application form is allowed; duplicate forms will be rejected.
- The scholarship amount is transferred through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode to the beneficiary’s account.
- The scholarship is applicable for pursuing education within India only.
- Students cannot transfer to another educational institution, except in extraordinary circumstances and in the interest of their academic career.
- Students already availing of another government scholarship are not eligible for Begum Hazrat Scholarship.
- The scholarship is discontinued in case of an academic gap in the student’s studies.
- Providing false information to obtain the scholarship results in cancellation and recovery of the paid amount by the State/UT government.
- Once discontinued, the scholarship cannot be revived under any circumstance.
- All rules and regulations specified by the authority are subject to change.
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – Contact Details
In case of any query regarding the Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship, the applicants can contact the Scholarship in charge:
Maulana Azad Campus,
Chelmsford Road, Opposite New Delhi Railway Registration Centre,
Phone Number: 011-23583788, 011-23583789
Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship – FAQs
✔️ Q. What is Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship?
Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship is a national level scholarship for minority community girl students. Introduced by the Maulana Azad Education Foundation, Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India, this scheme supports the education of girl students studying in Class 9 to 12. This scheme was earlier known by the name of Maulana Azad Scholarship for Girls.
✔️ Q. How can a student check his/her Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship Status?
The students who have applied for Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship can check their application status online only through the official website of MAEF. The home page carries a 'Status' tab from where the applicants can track their application status. They must provide details like scholarship category, identification details and date of birth to view their application status.
✔️ Q. Is Maulana Azad Scholarship for Girls same as Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship?
Yes. Earlier, the name of Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship was Maulana Azad Scholarship for Girls.
✔️ Q. What is the last date to apply for the Maulana Azad Scholarship/Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship?
For the academic year 2022-23, the registrations were open till 15th November 2022. Generally, the application period (tentative) is between August to November every year.
✔️ Q. Who can apply for Begum Hazrat Mahal Scholarship?
The scholarship is open for minority community girl students who are studying in Class 9 to 12. They are required to have obtained at least 50% marks or equivalent grade in aggregate in the previous qualifying examination. Also, the annual income of the family should be less than INR 2 lakh per annum from all sources.