The Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship is a government scholarship program that aims to empower girls in India through education. It was created to compensate for the direct costs of higher education for single girls. This scholarship is created for girls who are the only child of their parents. The selected candidates are awarded INR 36,200 per year in financial assistance under this single girl child scholarship.
This scholarship scheme is intended to help single girl children who are pursuing postgraduate degrees full-time in Indian universities, institutes, or colleges by providing them with financial assistance.
This article provides a comprehensive overview of the Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship, including its eligibility criteria, award details, application period, application process, and other important information.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship 2023 – An Overview
Students can find the highlights of this single girl child scholarship in the table given below.
|Name of Scholarship
|Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship
|Girl students pursuing PG courses and Only child of their parents
|INR 36,200 annually for a period of 2 years
|Last Date to Apply
* The application period is tentative and subject to change at the discretion of the scholarship provider.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship 2023 – Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for this UGC scholarship, girls must be students at universities, colleges, or institutions recognized by the UGC, state or central government, or institutes of national importance. The eligibility criteria for the Indira Gandhi Single Girl Scholarship are listed below.
- This scholarship is only available to single girl children who are enrolled in the first year of a full-time, regular PG course at a designated university or postgraduate college.
- The girl candidate must be the only child of her parents. Simply put, only girl students who have no brothers, or twin or fraternal daughters, are eligible for this scholarship. If a family has both a son and a daughter, the daughter will not be eligible.
- Female students under the age of 30 at the time of admission to PG courses are eligible.
- Students enrolled in PG courses in distance education mode are not entitled to the benefits of the scheme.
- Also, students do not need to meet any income requirements to apply for this scholarship.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship 2023 – Application Period
The announcement date of the single-girl child scholarship changes each year, but the application period typically starts around July and the deadline is in late October or January. However, students must note that the date is tentative and may change at the discretion of the scholarship provider. Students should therefore keep an eye on the last date of the application process.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship 2023 – Benefits
To help girls and their families afford higher education, the UGC offers the single girl child scholarship to 3,000 girls across India each year. The scholarship provides a monthly stipend for two years. The scholarship amount is directly transferred into the awardee’s bank account. Students must also submit a “Continuation Certificate” every three months in the prescribed format. Below are the details of the scholarship award.
- The selected girl students will receive a scholarship of INR 36,200 per year for two years, which is the complete duration of their postgraduate studies.
- The UGC-designated agency disburses the award to students from the date they start their first year of PG studies. Selected awardees must submit a copy of their award letter, joining report, photograph, address, and contact number to the designated agency.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship 2023 – Documents Required
There are a few important documents that the applicants must keep with them while filling out the Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship application form. Given below is the list of all the necessary documents that the applicants need to complete the application process.
- Scanned copy of Aadhar Enrollment/Aadhar Card
- Applicant’s passport-size photograph
- Self-attested copy of previous academic mark sheets
- Fee receipt of the current course year
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship 2023 – How to Apply?
The scholarship application process is easy and simple for applicants as the whole process has been made online. The applicants can apply for this UGC scholarship through the official portal of University Grants Commission. Follow the steps highlighted below to fill out the application form for the Indira Gandhi Single Girl Scholarship.
- The candidates applying to the NSP for the first time need to register with NSP as a new user.
- Fill in all the required information and click on ‘Register’ to get registered. A student application ID and password are generated on the registered mobile number.
- The girl candidates need to log in to NSP using the newly generated ID and password. An OTP is sent on the registered mobile number using which the candidates must change their password, which is a mandatory step.
- Once the password is changed, the candidates are directed to the Applicant’s Dashboard Page, where applicants need to click on ‘Application form’ to start the application process.
- The applicants need to provide all the necessary details such as registration details, academic details, basic details, contact details and scheme details.
- All the required documents in support of identity and academic eligibility must be uploaded by the applicants.
- Now, the filled-in application form must be saved as a draft so that the applicant can check every detail once again to make sure they are correct.
- Finally, the candidate must click on the ‘Submit’ button to submit the completed scholarship application form.
Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship 2023 – Terms and Conditions
The candidates need to mind a few terms and conditions if they wish to avail the benefits of this UGC scholarship. Highlighted below are some rules and regulations attached to this girl scholarship.
- Only those candidates who are in the 1st year of a PG course are eligible for this UGC scholarship.
- The candidates are not liable to receive any additional grant in lieu of hostel charges, medical charges, etc.
- Under this single girl child scholarship, the host institutes do not charge any tuition fee from the awardees.
- After the completion of one year of the award of the scholarship amount, the candidates need to submit their Progress Report in the prescribed format to the designated bank (Canara Bank), based on which fund for the next academic is released to the beneficiaries. This report needs to be duly signed by the Head of the Department and Registrar of the University or Head of the Institution or Principal of the College.
- The candidates must keep in mind that if they discontinue their studies without prior notice to UGC, they need to refund the whole amount through e-mode (RTGS/NEFT) directly to the UGC account.
- The awardees of this scholarship are not debarred from accepting any other scholarships.
- The scholarship may be terminated if the candidates get involved in any kind of misconduct, provide incorrect information at any stage of the application or score less than 55% in the 1st year (50% in case of Physically Challenged awardees).
In case of any query regarding the Indira Gandhi Single Girl Child Scholarship, the applicants can submit their questions at the email ID mentioned below:
Email ID – email@example.com
To read this article in Hindi, please click here