SC Scholarship is given to the scheduled caste (SC) students to enable them to pursue their higher studies without any financial constraints. The Department of Social Welfare and Empowerment, Government of India along with their subsidiaries at state level offer a number of SC scholarships. These scholarships aim at providing suitable financial assistance to students who are economically disadvantaged and meritorious. An SC scholarship is divided into pre-matric, post-matric, Rajiv Gandhi national fellowship, and overseas scholarship.
This article acquaints you with every significant information related to SC scholarship such as the complete list of SC scholarships, their eligibility, application process, award details, selection criteria, documents required and more.
SC Scholarship – The Complete List
The following table provides information on all the types of scholarships available for SC students in India. You can look up for scholarship that fits your requirements and apply for them within the stipulated timeline. Also, you will get to know about the number of SC scholarship being offered by the governments.
Detailed List of SC Scholarship
|S.No||Scholarship||No of Scholarship||Timeline for application*|
|1||Pre-matric scholarship for SC||NA||April|
|2||Post-matric scholarship for SC||NA||April|
|3||Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for SC||2000||July-October
|4||National Overseas Scholarship for SC||94||December (once in an academic year)|
*subject to change
SC Scholarship- Pre-Matric Scholarship for students of Classes IX & X
This SC scholarship is offered by the Government of India and implemented by the State Government or Union territories (UT). The objective is to financially support the students of class IX and X and reduce their dropout due to lack of funds thereby enabling them to continue their higher studies. The amount of financial assistance that each scholar will receive under this scheme is given hereunder.
Pre-matric SC scholarship awards
|Scholarship per month (for 10 months)||INR 225||INR 525|
|Books and Ad-hoc grants per annum||INR 750||INR 1,000|
- Students should belong to SC category.
- Parents annual income should not exceed INR 2.5 Lakh per annum.
- The students should not get any other funds from the central government.
- The applicant should be a regular student in a Government school or school recognized by Government or Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
- The students should apply via the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) here or respective state portals.
- The following documents should be uploaded along with the main application: passport size photo, self-attested copies of certificates, diploma, degree etc., caste certificate, & income declaration.
All eligible SC students will be awarded the scholarship.
Also, read about the national scholarship portal here.
SC Scholarship- Post-matric scholarships
The post-matric scholarships are centrally sponsored scheme implemented through state governments. This SC scholarship scheme provides financial assistance to Schedule Caste students at post-matriculation or post-secondary stage to enable them to complete their studies.
The following table provides information on the scholarship award that each selected scholar will receive:
Post-matric SC scholarship awards
|Course||Day Scholar allowance (for 10 months)||Hostellers allowance (for 10 months)||Readers allowance (for blind candidates)|
(I) Degree and postgraduate level courses in medicine, engineering, technology, agriculture etc.
(II) Postgraduate diploma courses in management and medicine
(III) CA/ICWA/CS/ICFA etc.
(IV) MPhil, PhD and postdoctoral programs
|INR 1,200||INR 550||INR 240|
|Group 2– Professional course leading to a degree, diploma in Pharmacy, nursing, etc.||INR 820||INR 530||INR 240|
|Group 3– Graduate and postgraduate courses not covered in Group 1 and 2||INR 570||INR 300||INR 200|
|Group 4- Post matriculation level non-degree courses (10th passed)||INR 380||INR 230||INR 160|
Apart from maintenance allowance, the students will also get reimbursement for non-refundable fees, study tour charges, thesis typing/printing charges, book allowance, and book bank facilities.
- The SC students enrolled in post-matriculation or post-secondary courses in recognized institutes/universities/colleges can apply for this scholarship.
- The annual family income of student’s parents/guardians should not exceed INR 2.5 Lakh per annum
- Application form can be filled online via national scholarship portal (NSP) or respective state portal.
- The candidates need to make sure to upload scanned required documents such as self-attested copies of certificates, diploma, degrees etc., and caste certificate & income declaration.
All SC candidates are eligible subject to the application of means test.
SC Scholarship- Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for SC
The Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship or RGNF scheme is funded by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment for the SC students. There are 2000 scholarships granted to SC students per year. The students should be enrolled into universities recognized under University Grants Commission (UGC). The fellowships are specifically for M.Phil. and Ph.D. students.
Award details of Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship
|Duration||Name of the course||Rate of Scholarship||Subjects|
|2 yrs.||M.Phil.||INR 25,000 (JRF) for initial 2 years
INR 28,000 (SRF) for remaining tenure
|Science, humanities and social science|
|INR 25,000 (JRF) for initial 2 years
INR 28,000 (SRF) for remaining tenure
|Engineering and technology|
|INR 10,000 for initial 2 years
INR 20,500 (for remaining tenure)
|Contingency for humanities and social science|
|INR 12,000 for initial 2 years
INR 25,000 for remaining tenure
|Contingency for science, engineering, technology|
|INR 3,000 per annum per student to host institution||Departmental assistance|
|INR 2,000 per month in case physically disabled students||Readers assistance|
- A student belonging to SC category only can apply.
- They must be admitted to MPhil/Ph.D. degree in a university or academic institution.
- Students can fill an online application at RGNF official website.
- The application is filled in two parts: (1) personal details (2) academic qualifications and research experience.
- Applicants need to upload scanned copies of following documents: mark sheets and institute certificate (all in PDF or JPG format).
SC Scholarship- National Overseas Scholarship for SC
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India launched the National Overseas Scholarship initiative for supporting SC students/professionals who are financially constrained to be able to study abroad via this fellowship. Students or professionals belonging to SC category who wish to pursue a masters or Ph.D. in overseas institutes are eligible to apply.
The fields of study covered under this SC scholarship scheme are engineering and management, pure science and applied science, agricultural science and medicine, international commerce, accounting finance, humanities, social science, and fine arts. The government issues 100 scholarships out of which 30% are allotted to female applicants. There are 90 scholarships and 4 passage grants for SC category. The duration of the award for Ph.D. students is 4 years and for master’s students is 3 years.
The table describes the scholarship award granted to the selected SC candidates pursuing research in foreign universities:
Awards details of National Overseas Scholarship
|S.No||Types of allowance||US||UK|
|1||Annual maintenance allowance||USD 15,400||GBP 9,900|
|3||Contingency||USD 1,500||GBP 1,100|
|4||Incidental journey allowance||USD 20||NA|
|5||VISA fees, poll tax, etc.||Actual fees||Actual fees|
|6||Air travel, Local travel etc.||As applicable||As applicable|
The selected candidate will need to execute a bond on a non-judicial stamp paper before a notary for the actual amount to be spent by the Government of India on the candidate. The candidates shall not change the course of study or research while availing the scholarship.
- Applicants belonging to SC category can apply.
- They must be below the age of 35 years.
- The applicants must have secured more than 55% marks in their last examination.
- The annual family income should not exceed INR 6 Lakh per annum.
- The applicants need to download an application form and submit offline at the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment website (www.socialjustice.nic.in)
- Along with the application form, the applicants need to attach the following documents: date of birth certificate, mark sheet of degree, diploma or certificates, income certificate, self-attested caste certificate, a copy of tax assessment and last monthly salary slip for employed candidates. In case of passage grant, the applicants need to provide particulars on a merit scholarship and letter of award.
The students who have already taken admission in one of accredited foreign university or institution by an authorized body in that country for the academic being applied. Selection and screening committee will make suitable recommendations on the basis of the guidelines provided here.