SC Scholarship is given to the scheduled caste (SC) students to enable them to pursue their higher studies without any financial constraints. The Department of Social Welfare and Empowerment, Government of India along with its subsidiaries at the state level offer a number of SC scholarships. These scholarships aim at providing suitable financial assistance to students who are economically disadvantaged and meritorious. An SC scholarship is divided into pre-matric, post-matric, Rajiv Gandhi national fellowship, and overseas scholarship.
This article acquaints you with every significant information related to SC scholarships such as the complete list of SC scholarships, their eligibility, the application process, award details, selection criteria, documents required and more.
SC Scholarship – The Complete List
The following table provides information on all the types of scholarships available for SC students in India. You can look up scholarship that fits your requirements and apply for them within the stipulated timeline. Also, you will get to know about the number of SC scholarships being offered by the governments.
Detailed List of SC Scholarship
|Scholarship Name||Number of Scholarship||Application Timeline*|
|Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC Students||NA||December to April|
|Post-Matric Scholarship for SC Students||NA||December to April|
|Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (National Fellowship for SC Students)||2,000||May to July|
|National Overseas Scholarship for SC Students||100||February and March|
|Top Class Education Scheme for SC Students||1,500||August and February|
*The timeline mentioned above is tentative and subject to change at the discretion of the scholarship provider.
SC Scholarship – Pre-Matric Scholarship for students of Class 9 & 10
This SC scholarship is offered by the Government of India and implemented by the State Government or Union territories (UT). The objective is to financially support the students of Class 9 & 10 to reduce the dropouts due to lack of funds thereby enabling them to continue their higher studies. The amount of financial assistance that each scholar will receive under this scheme is given hereunder.
Pre-matric SC scholarship awards
|Scholarship per month (for 10 months)||INR 225||INR 525|
|Books and Ad-hoc grants per annum||INR 750||INR 1,000|
- Students should belong to Scheduled Caste (SC) category.
- Parents’ annual income should not exceed INR 2,50,000 per annum.
- The students should not get any other funds from the central government.
- The applicant should be a regular student in a Government school or school recognized by the Government or Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
- The students should apply via the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) or respective state portals.
- The following documents should be uploaded along with the main application: passport size photo, self-attested copies of certificates, diploma, degree etc., caste certificate, & income declaration.
All eligible SC students will be awarded the scholarship.
Also Read: National Scholarship Portal 2022-23 – NSP Login, Check Status, Last Date
SC Scholarship – Post-matric scholarships
The post-matric scholarships are centrally sponsored schemes implemented through state governments. This SC scholarship scheme provides financial assistance to Scheduled Caste students at the post-matriculation or post-secondary stage to enable them to complete their studies.
The following table provides information on the scholarship award that each selected scholar will receive:
Post-matric SC scholarship awards
|Course||Day Scholar allowance (for 10 months)||Hostellers allowance (for 10 months)||Readers allowance (for blind candidates)|
(I) Degree and postgraduate level courses in medicine, engineering, technology, agriculture etc.
(II) Postgraduate diploma courses in management and medicine
(III) CA/ICWA/CS/ICFA etc.
(IV) MPhil, PhD and postdoctoral programs
|INR 1,200||INR 550||INR 240|
|Group 2– Professional course leading to a degree, diploma in Pharmacy, nursing, etc.||INR 820||INR 530||INR 240|
|Group 3– Graduate and postgraduate courses not covered in Group 1 and 2||INR 570||INR 300||INR 200|
|Group 4- Post matriculation level non-degree courses (10th passed)||INR 380||INR 230||INR 160|
Apart from maintenance allowance, the students will also get reimbursement for non-refundable fees, study tour charges, thesis typing/printing charges, book allowance, and book bank facilities.
- The SC students enrolled in post-matriculation or post-secondary courses in recognized institutes/universities/colleges can apply for this scholarship.
- The annual family income of student’s parents/guardians should not exceed INR 2,50,000 per annum
- The application form can be filled online via the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) or respective state portal.
- The candidates need to make sure to upload scanned required documents such as self-attested copies of certificates, diploma, degrees etc., and caste certificate & income declaration.
All SC candidates are eligible subject to the application of means test.
SC Scholarship – Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for SC
The Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship or RGNF scheme is funded by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment for SC students. There are 2,000 scholarships granted to SC students per year. The students should be enrolled in universities recognized under the University Grants Commission (UGC). The fellowships are specifically for M.Phil. and PhD students.
Award details of Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship
|Duration||Name of the course||Rate of Scholarship||Subjects|
|2 yrs.||M.Phil.||INR 31,000 (JRF) for initial 2 years
INR 35,000 (SRF) for remaining tenure
|Science, humanities and social science|
|INR 31,000 (JRF) for initial 2 years
INR 35,000 (SRF) for remaining tenure
|Engineering and technology|
|INR 10,000 for initial 2 years
INR 20,500 (for remaining tenure)
|Contingency for humanities and social science|
|INR 12,000 for initial 2 years
INR 25,000 for remaining tenure
|Contingency for science, engineering, technology|
|As per rules of the University/Institution/College||HRA (House Rent Allowance)|
|INR 2,000 per month in case physically disabled students||Readers assistance|
- A student belonging to SC category only can apply.
- They must be admitted to MPhil/Ph.D. degree in a university or academic institution.
- Students can fill an online application at the UGC official website.
- The application is filled in two parts: (1) personal details (2) academic qualifications and research experience.
- Applicants need to upload scanned copies of following documents: mark sheets and institute certificate (all in PDF or JPG format).
SC Scholarship – National Overseas Scholarship for SC
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India launched the National Overseas Scholarship initiative for supporting SC students/professionals who are financially constrained to be able to study abroad via this fellowship. Students or professionals belonging to SC category who wish to pursue a masters or PhD in overseas institutes are eligible to apply.
The fields of study covered under this SC scholarship scheme are engineering and management, pure science and applied science, agricultural science and medicine, international commerce, accounting finance, humanities, social science, and fine arts. The government issues 100 scholarships out of which 30% are allotted to female applicants. There are 90 scholarships and 4 passage grants for SC category. The duration of the award for PhD students is 4 years and for master’s students is 3 years.
The table describes the scholarship award granted to the selected SC candidates pursuing research in foreign universities:
Awards details of National Overseas Scholarship
|S.No||Types of allowance||US||UK|
|1||Annual maintenance allowance||USD 15,400||GBP 9,900|
|3||Contingency||USD 1,500||GBP 1,100|
|4||Incidental journey allowance and equipment allowance||USD 20||NA|
|5||VISA fees, poll tax, etc.||Actual fees||Actual fees|
|6||Air travel, Local travel etc.||As applicable||As applicable|
The selected candidate will need to execute a bond on a non-judicial stamp paper before a notary for the actual amount to be spent by the Government of India on the candidate. The candidates shall not change the course of study or research while availing the scholarship.
- Applicants belonging to SC category can apply.
- They must be below the age of 35 years.
- The applicants must have secured more than 60% marks in their last qualifying examination.
- The annual family income should not exceed INR 8,00,000 per annum.
The eligible candidates can follow the below-given steps to apply for this SC scholarship online –
Step 1: Click here to start the application.
Step 2: Click on ‘Register Yourself’ button to create login details.
Step 3: Once registered successfully, log in to your account to proceed with the application.
Step 4: Fill in all required details including personal details, education details, employment details and visa details.
Step 5: Upload the documents mentioned below –
- Caste certificate
- Birth certificate
- Photograph of the applicant
- Scanned signature of the applicant
- Current address proof
- Permanent address proof
- Qualifying mark sheet/degree
- Valid document for marks
- Valid document regarding admission in Foreign University
- Income certificate of all earning members of the family
- Employer’s NOC certificate
Step 6: Submit the completed application form online.
The students who have already taken admission in one of the accredited foreign university or institution by an authorized body in that country for the academic being applied. The selection and screening committee will make suitable recommendations on the basis of the guidelines provided here.
SC Scholarship – Top Class Education Scheme for SC Students
Initiated by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, this scheme offers financial support to SC category students who have taken admission at undergraduate or postgraduate level. The key objective of the scheme is to recognize and promote quality education beyond Class 12 among SC students.
A total of 1,500 scholars are awarded under this scheme. The detail of financial assistance given under this scheme is given below.
Award Details of Top Class Education Scheme
- Full tuition fee and non-refundable charges up to INR 2 lakh per annum (for private sector institutions and up to INR 3,72,000 per annum (for private sector flying club for Commercial Pilot Training and Type Rating Courses)
- Living expenses of INR 2,220 per month
- Books and stationery charge up to INR 3,000 per annum
- One-time assistance of INR 45,000 for Computer/Laptop with UPS and Printer
- The scheme is open for SC category students who have completed Class 12.
- They must have taken admission in a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate course in a notified institution through general selection criteria prescribed by respective institutions.
- They must belong to a family where the annual income is not more than INR 6 lakh from all the sources
Step 1: Visit the official website of the National Scholarship Portal and register.
Step 2: Once registered, log in to proceed with the application.
Step 3: Fill in all required details.
Step 4: Upload the following documents –
- Caste Certificate
- Income Certificate
- Bank account details of the institution and the student
- Proof of admission
- Scorecard of entrance exam qualified (if applicable)
- Fee structure of the program
Step 5: Submit the application.
The scholarship will be sanctioned to the students of:
- All the IIMs, IITs, IIITs, AIIMS, NITs, NIFTs, NIDs, Indian Institute of Hotel Management, National Law Universities and other Central Government Institution, OR
- Institutes included in the list of National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) A++ and A+ Accredited Institutions, OR
- Top 100 national Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) Institution, Or
- Institutions of National Importance as per the list issued by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
- All Government and CPSE run institutes, approved by Director General of Civil Aviation in case of Commercial Pilot Training Course and Type Rating Course.
1 thought on “SC Scholarship – Complete List, Eligibility and Application Process”
Do we get Scholarship money for CFA course.?
Comments are closed.