23 September – 100th Birth Anniversary
23rd of September 2017 marks Dr. Ashima Chatterjee’s birth centenary. While the world of science would always be indebted to her illustrious contributions in the field of studying medicinal properties of plants native to India, the general public is largely unaware of her work.
Today, on her 100th birth anniversary, Buddy4Study remembers and pays tribute to India’s most reputed scholar and globally acclaimed chemist. Here are five things you must know about the woman who not only completed her studies but also excelled in a time when women studying science was unheard of.
- Dr. Chatterjee was a Premchand Roychand Scholar of the University of Calcutta
- She was the first woman to be awarded a Doctor of Science by an Indian University in the year 1944
- She was also the first woman to be elected to the office of Indian Science Congress as the General
- She was honoured with Padma Bhushan, India’s third highest civilian award, for her contributions to the field of science
- She published more than 400 research papers in national and international scientific journals. Much of this was included in citations and textbooks across the world
- She compiled ‘The Treatise on Indian Medicinal Plants’ published in six volumes in English
- She was honoured with Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award 1961 for her immense contribution in the field of Chemistry of Natural Products
- She was recognized as Woman of the Year in 1965 by Bengal Chamber of Commerce
- She is credited with the development of an epilepsy drug named Ayush-56
- She is also credited with development of antimalarial drugs from native medicinal plants
While it is difficult to summarize 60 years of research work that Dr. Chatterjee dedicated her life to, it would be a respectful tribute to let our fellow citizens know of the contributions made by this shining figure in the field of medicinal chemistry.
Read more about scholars like Dr. Ashima Chatterjee and also explore the various scholarships available in the field of science.
Apply for Chevening Rolls-Royce Science and Innovation Leadership Programme
Apply for J C Bose National Fellowship (Science & Engineering Research Board) 2017
Apply for Ramanujan Fellowship (Science and Engineering Research Board) 2017