In an ecosystem that highly values educational excellence, scholarships for meritorious students stand out as a significant motivator for those who demonstrate outstanding academic achievements and leadership abilities. Scholarships for meritorious students are provided by both government bodies and private organisations. It plays a vital role in nurturing the brightest minds in the country while enabling them to pursue their aspirations and make significant contributions to society. In a world where the quest for knowledge is revered, these scholarships serve as a bridge, connecting talented and dedicated students with the resources they need to excel academically and achieve their dreams. For many, the path to educational excellence is filled with challenges, financial constraints, and obstacles that can hinder their progress. Therefore, scholarships for meritorious students in schools and colleges represent a ray of hope and opportunity in their pursuit of education.
By conducting thorough research on the available scholarships, meeting the eligibility criteria, and crafting well-prepared applications, students can unlock a world of opportunities and set themselves on a path to success.
This article sheds light on the various scholarships accessible to India’s high-achieving school and college students. It also delves deeply into how these scholarships can profoundly impact the lives of the students.
List of Scholarships for Meritorious Students
Smt. Shyam Lata Garg Scholarship Program
Swami Dayanand Charitable Educational Foundation (SDEF) has announced its ninth Merit-cum-Means Scholarship 2023-24, which is open to students enrolled in any undergraduate program at public and private universities in India. The objective of SDEF is to assist extraordinarily gifted but financially struggling students who are unable to complete their college studies owing to financial barriers. The organisation offers scholarships to gain admission to prestigious institutions. It targets students who have overcome the challenges faced by their family and achieved high rankings in the national and state-level common entrance exams. The scholarship amount up to ₹50,000 is based on general rank achieved in NEET and JEE exams. It is as follows:
|General Rank||Scholarship Amount (₹)|
|Rank 1 to 100 in NEET/JEE||₹50,000|
|Rank 101 to 500 in NEET/JEE||₹40,000|
|Rank 501 to 2000 in NEET/JEE||₹30,000|
|For All Other State Level Ranks||₹20,000|
|For Non-Technical Courses||₹20,000|
- The scholarship is available for all professionals, including engineering, medical, architecture, etc. and other undergraduate courses.
- Scholarship applicants should have secured 75% or more marks in 12th grade or CGPA of at least 7.5.
- Annual Family Income of the applicant should be less than ₹6 lakh per annum.
Application Process: Application process will be conducted online this year. Eligible students can submit their applications by clicking the “APPLY NOW” button on the official website. Online application has already begun on August 1, 2023. The last date of application is October 30, 2023. Last date to apply for renewal of scholarship is November 30, 2023.
Scholarship applicants must read the eligibility criteria carefully before applying. It should be ensured by the applicants that correct details are filled in. Uploading correct information is very important.
Required documents which are mentioned in the application form should be duly attested by the college authorities. The email id, contact numbers, and address should be correctly filled in for communication.
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles
Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles 2022-23 is the initiative of the Welfare and Rehabilitation Board, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. It is targeted at the dependent widows and wards of Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles personnel. This scheme has further been extended for the dependent wards of State Police Personnel who are martyred during Terror/Naxal attacks. The selected candidates will receive up to ₹3,000 every month under this scheme.
The applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- The applicant must be a child or widow of a deceased Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and Assam Rifles (AR) personnel who passed away while on election duty, due to service-related reasons, or became disabled due to government service, or an Ex-CAPFs and AR personnel with Gallantry awards.
- The applicant must be a child or widow of serving or retired personnel from the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) and Assam Rifles (AR), specifically personnel below the officer rank.
- The applicant should be a child dependent on State Police Personnel who lost their lives in the line of duty during terror or Naxal attacks.
- He or she should have enrolled in a first year professional degree program in disciplines including Engineering, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, BBA, BCA, B. Pharma, including various B.Sc. programs (Nursing, Agriculture, etc.), as well as pursuing postgraduate studies such as an MBA or MCA, recognized by government regulatory bodies such as AICTE, MCI, and UGC.
- He or she should have secured at least 60% marks in their Minimum Entry Qualification (MEQ) such as Class 12/Diploma/Graduation or equivalent in the case for new applicants.
Criteria for Renewal of Scholarship:
- In the case of renewal of scholarship the applicant must have successfully passed each subsequent academic year of professional courses with a minimum of 50% marks.
- A grace period of one year only for cases, where there is a delay on part of the candidate for submission of application for renewal of scholarship may be entertained.
Benefits: The candidates will receive the scholarship amount that will be paid annually after selection i.e. ₹36,000 to each girl and ₹30,000 to each boy.
- ₹3,000 per month for girls.
- ₹2,500 per month for boys.
To apply for the scholarship, eligible candidates can follow these steps:
- Click on the ‘Apply Now’ link on the following link.
- Go to ‘Applicant Corner’ and click on ‘New Registration’.
- Select ‘Click here for other Scholarship Schemes hosted on NSP for AY 2022-23’.
- Read the guidelines, select the undertaking, and click ‘Continue’.
- An applicant should select the state of domicile, scholarship category (Pre Matric), scheme type (Scholarship Scheme), gender, and enter their name, date of birth, mobile number, and email ID.
- Provide bank details (Bank name, IFSC Code, Account Number).
- Select either Aadhaar or Bank Account Number as the identification detail and click ‘Register’.
- Verify mobile number with the OTP received.
- Log in using the OTP and complete the application form.
- After successfully submitting the application, an applicant will receive an application ID and password for future reference.
SOF Scholarship of Excellence in English (S.E.E.)
Science Olympiad Foundation and the British Council jointly offer SOF Scholarships for students who are pursuing their studies in Class 1 to 10. SOF Scholarship of Excellence in English (SEE) 2021-22 is an initiative that aims to recognize Class 1 to 10 students for excellence in English and their command of the language.
To meet the eligibility requirements, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- An applicant must be enrolled in Class 1 to 10.
- He or she should have secured a score of 90% or higher in their annual aggregate in English subject in their previous class.
- He or she should have secured an aggregate score of 85% or more in their previous year’s exams.
Benefits: The selected applicants will receive variable awards, the specific details of which may differ based on individual achievements and circumstances.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – SOF Scholarship of Excellence in English (S.E.E.).
L&T Build India Scholarship 2023
L&T Build India Scholarship 2023 is an initiative of L&T Construction for final-year students who are pursuing B.E./B.Tech. in core Civil Engineering & core Electrical Engineering (EEE alone). The selected candidates will receive ₹13,400 per month including other benefits.
To meet the eligibility criteria, an applicant must be pursuing their final year in B.E./B.Tech. degree program in core Civil Engineering or core Electrical Engineering (EEE alone). The applicants should be able to complete their graduation program between June and August 2023.
Benefits: The selected candidates will receive the following benefits:
- Selected applicants will receive a monthly stipend of ₹13,400.
- L&T will directly settle the tuition fees and sponsorship fees to IIT Madras, IIT Delhi, NITK Surathkal and NIT Trichy.
- Sponsored candidates will be responsible for paying the fees for hostel accommodation and mess.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – L&T Build India Scholarship 2023.
INSPIRE Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE)
INSPIRE Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) 2022-23 is an initiative of the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India in order to provide financial help to students who have passed Class 12 and wish to pursue courses in Basic and Natural Science. The selected students will receive a scholarship up to ₹80,000 per annum in the duration of the course.
To be eligible for this scholarship, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Age groups of the applicants must lie between 17 to 22 years.
- Applicants must have successfully passed the Class 12 examination from any Central/State Board in India with aggregate marks ranking within the top 1% of the Class.
- Applicants must be pursuing courses in Natural and Basic Sciences at the B.Sc., B.S., and Int.M.Sc./M.S. level.
- Applicants must have secured ranks within the top 10,000 in the JEE of IIT, AIPMT, NEET.
- Applicants should have been selected under the Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) and be pursuing Bachelor/Master level courses in Natural Sciences.
- National Talent Search Exam (NTSE) scholars, JAGADIS BOSE NATIONAL SCIENCE TALENT SEARCH (JBNSTS) scholars, International Olympiad medallists in Natural Sciences, pursuing Bachelor/Master level courses, are also eligible.
- Students pursuing courses other than those specified are not eligible.
- Students pursuing their studies through Open Universities or Distance mode are not eligible.
Benefits: The scholarship offers several benefits. They are as follows:
- Total scholarship benefits are valued at ₹80,000 per annum.
- Selected candidates will receive an annual scholarship of ₹60,000 at the rate of ₹5,000 per month.
- INSPIRE Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) scholars must engage in summer research projects under active researchers in recognized research centres across India.
- An annual summer time mentorship grant of ₹20,000 will be provided.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, applicants should refer to the following link – INSPIRE Scholarship For Higher Education (SHE) 2022-23.
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)
The “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana” (KVPY) targets exceptionally motivated students for pursuing basic science courses and research careers in science. The objective of the program is to identify students with talent and aptitude for research and help them realise their academic potential.
Scholarship under Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) 2021 is offered to students pursuing their bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the science stream.
Stream SA offers a one-time measure for the students who have passed Class 10 Standard Board Examination and are eligible to enrol in Class 11 standard (Science subjects) during the academic year 2021-22. They will be eligible to appear for the aptitude test.
- Applicants should produce a study certificate of class XI class once they are selected as a provisional KVPY fellow.
- The fellowship of the students selected under this stream will be activated only if they join for the following undergraduate courses in Basic Sciences in the academic year 2023-24:
- Int. M.Sc.
- Int. M.S.
- Applicants must have secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in Mathematics and Science subjects in the Class 12 Board Examination.
- During the interim period of one year they will be invited for the National Science (Vijyoshi) Camp and their travel expenses and local hospitality will be met by KVPY.
Stream SX is meant for students who were enrolled in Class 12 Standard (Science subjects) during the academic year 2021–22 and aspired to join undergraduate programs in Basic Sciences.
- The fellowship of the students selected under this stream will be activated only if they join for the following undergraduate courses in Basic Sciences in the academic year 2022-23:
- Int. M.Sc.
- Int. M.S.
- Applicants must have secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in Mathematics and Science subjects (Physics/Chemistry/Biology) in the Class 12 Board Examination.
Stream SB offers a one-time measure for the students who have passed Class 12 Standard Board Examination and are eligible to enrol in in the 1st year B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S. during the academic year 2021-22. They will be eligible to appear for the aptitude test.
- Applicants should produce a study certificate of 1st year B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math./Int. M.Sc./Int. M.S once they are selected as a provisional KVPY fellow.
- The fellowship of the students selected under this stream will be activated only if they join for the following undergraduate programs in Basic Sciences in the academic year 2021-22:
- Int. M.Sc.
- Int. M.S.
- Applicants must have secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) marks in aggregate in 1st year of B.Sc./B.S./B.Math./B.Stat./Int. M.Sc./Int M.S.
Benefits: Selected applicants will receive the following benefits:
- For SA/SX/SB stream: Applicants shall receive a monthly stipend of ₹5,000 and an annual contingency grant of ₹ 20,000 during their 1st, 2nd and 3rd years of B.Sc./B.S./ B.Stat./B.Math./M.S./Integrated M.S. degree.
- Applicants pursuing fellowship and are in their 4th and 5th years of M.Sc./M.S./M.Math./M.Stat. degree program shall receive a monthly stipend of ₹7,000 and an annual contingency grant of ₹28,000 per annum.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY).
JC Bose Fellowship – Science and Engineering Research Board
Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) India invites applications for JC Bose Fellowship – Science & Engineering Research Board from active scientists and science academics. This fellowship is awarded to recognize the outstanding performance of active scientists.
- This fellowship opportunity is extended to active scientists who have demonstrated exceptional performance as evidenced by their membership in science academies and/or the recipient of the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology.
- Applicants must not exceed the upper age limit of 68 years at the time of submitting their nomination.
- Candidates should hold a regular position within an Institute/Organisation and must be actively involved in research during the nomination period.
- Applicants must be Indian nationals working within an Indian institution.
- Selected recipients will receive a monthly fellowship stipend of ₹25,000, in addition to their regular income.
- An annual research grant of ₹15 lakh will be provided to support the scientific endeavours of the fellows.
- The host institute will be granted an overhead allowance of ₹1 lakh per annum.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – JC Bose Fellowship – Science and Engineering Research Board.
JSPN Scholarship 2023-24 is the initiative of Jaya Satya Pramoda Nidhi (JSPN), a social services wing of Sri Uttaradi Math. It serves to uplift and support the Madhwa community students who have a good academic track record. More than 4,500 students have benefitted from the scheme. The scholarship offers financial aid to students facing financial difficulties in their academic pursuits.
To qualify for eligibility, an applicant must fulfil the following criteria:
- Applicants must belong to the Madhwa community.
- He or she must maintain a commendable academic track record.
Benefits: The selected recipients will be granted scholarships in accordance to availability of funds, taking into consideration both the student’s merit and financial need.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – JSPN Scholarship 2023-24.
SIA Youth Scholarship in Singapore
The Ministry of Education (MoE), Singapore began with the initiative, SIA Youth Scholarship 2019 for Indian nationals who have passed class 10 in the year 2019 for 2 years for Pre-University studies in selected colleges of Singapore. The selected candidates are granted the Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’- Level (General Certificate of Education Advanced Level) or equivalent certification.
To meet the requirements for this scholarship, an applicant must fulfil the following conditions:
- Applicants must hold Indian nationality.
- He or she should be born between 2001 and 2003.
- He or she should have successfully completed their Class 10 in the year 2019.
- Applicants must exhibit an outstanding academic performance in Class 10 State/National examinations, attaining an average score of at least 85% or an overall ‘A’ grade, with English as the primary language.
Benefits: The selected recipients for this scholarship will be entitled to the following advantages:
- Annual stipend along with hostel accommodation.
- Initial settling-in allowance.
- Economy class airfare for a return journey.
- Coverage of school fees.
- Coverage of GCE A-Level examination fees (one-time only).
- Access to subsidised health benefits and accident insurance coverage.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – SIA Youth Scholarship in Singapore.
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship
Established in the year 1892 by Jamsetjee Nusserwanjee Tata, the founder of the Tata Group, the JN Tata Endowment awards loan scholarships to Indians for their higher studies overseas. It is based only on individual merit, irrespective of caste, creed, religion or any other factor.
Eligibility Criteria: To be considered eligible, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants should be an Indian citizen.
- Applicants should not exceed 45 years of age as of June 30, 2023.
- He or she should hold a graduate degree from a recognized Indian University with a minimum average of 60% marks in their undergraduate studies. Candidates with an undergraduate degree from an unrecognised Indian University are not eligible.
- Candidates who were not selected for the loan scholarship in previous years or who were selected but did not utilise it are eligible to apply. Such candidates must undergo the complete selection process again.
- Applicants who could not apply to the JN Tata Endowment scholarship at the start of their overseas studies may apply at the end of their first year or the beginning of their second year, provided they have a minimum of 12 remaining months left in their studies by the time the loan scholarship is awarded which is usually by the month of July in a calendar year.
- Candidates in their final year of degree programs or awaiting results can apply. They can also apply without admission/offer letters from universities for the academic year 2023-2024. However, they must update their application status with the Endowment upon securing admission.
- Candidates pursuing activities overseas and taking part in seminars, conferences, training, workshops, paper presentations, undergraduate studies, and pursuing any post-graduate degree/diploma/certification program through distance learning or online mediums are ineligible to apply.
- Candidates planning to pursue postgraduate and undergraduate studies in India are not eligible.
- The courses admitting candidates must be recognized as a Graduate Program according to Indian terminology.
- JN Tata scholars who have completely repaid their existing loan scholarship amount are eligible to reapply.
Benefits: Selected candidates will receive a loan scholarship with a maximum value of ₹10 lakh.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship 2023-24.
KSCSTE Prathibha Scholarship Programme
KSCSTE Prathibha Scholarship Programme 2023 is the initiative of the Kerala State Council for Science, Technology & Environment (KSCSTE), Ministry of Science and Technology, Kerala. It is offered to undergraduate and postgraduate students to pursue their education in Basic/Natural Sciences in Institutions/Universities in India. The selected candidates will receive up to ₹60,000 per annum.
To meet the eligibility criteria, an applicant must fulfil the following conditions:
- Applicants must be a resident with a domicile status in Kerala.
- He or she should have successfully passed the Higher Secondary Examination from Kerala.
- Applicants must have secured a minimum of 90% marks or equivalent grade across all subjects and all Science subjects combined.
- He or she should have gained admission to a 3-year B.Sc./5-year Integrated M.Sc./5-year integrated BS-MS program in Basic or Natural Sciences at any recognized Institution or University in India during the academic year 2021-22.
Note: For candidates falling under the SC/ST reservation category, the eligibility requirement is a minimum of 80% marks or equivalent grade across all subjects and all science subjects combined.
Benefits: The selected candidates will be granted the following scholarship amounts while pursuing their studies:
For U.G. courses or the first 3 years of Integrated P.G. courses:
- First year: ₹12,000
- Second year: ₹18,000
- Third year: ₹24,000
For P.G. courses this is subject to achieving a minimum of 75% marks in the undergraduate course:
- 1st year/4th year of Integrated P.G. course: ₹40,000
- 2nd year/5th year of Integrated P.G. course: ₹60,000
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – KSCSTE Prathibha Scholarship Programme 2023.
Abdul Kalam Technology Innovation National Fellowship
Abdul Kalam Technology Innovation National Fellowship 2023-24 is offered by the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) to outstanding engineers to recognize, encourage and support their translational research for achieving excellence in engineering, innovation, and technology development. The selected candidates receive a monthly fellowship worth ₹25,000 including other benefits.
Eligibility: An applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must hold Indian nationality or be an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).
- He or she must have the necessary professional qualifications or at least a bachelor’s degree.
- He or she must have a minimum of five (5) years of remaining service within the parent organisation as of the award date.
- Applicants should not currently hold any other fellowship, and in the event of being selected, the applicant must not accept any other fellowship concurrently.
The candidates who are selected will receive the following benefits:
- Selected applicants shall receive a monthly fellowship of ₹25,000 in addition to their regular income.
- Selected applicants shall get an annual research grant of ₹15 lakh.
- Selected applicants shall get an overhead allowance of ₹1 lakh per annum.
Note: The fellowship amount is subject to taxation as per the Income Tax rules of the Government of India.
Application: In order to apply for the scholarship, candidates can visit the following link – Abdul Kalam Technology Innovation National Fellowship 2023-24.
Scholarships For Meritorious Students – (FAQs)
Q1: What is meant by scholarships for meritorious students?
A1: Scholarships for Meritorious Students in India are financial aids provided to exceptional students with outstanding academic achievements and leadership qualities. These scholarships are offered by both government and private organisations. It aims to support and nurture the brightest minds in the country.
Q2: How can students apply for scholarships available for meritorious students?
A2: The application process for these scholarships varies, but in most cases, students can apply online through the official scholarship websites. The specific steps for each scholarship are outlined on their respective websites, and applications usually open during a specific timeframe.
Q3: Who can apply for the SIA Youth Scholarship in Singapore?
A3: To be eligible for the SIA Youth Scholarship in Singapore, applicants must hold Indian nationality. He or she should have been born between 2001 and 2003, and exhibit an outstanding academic performance.
Q4: Who is eligible for the JC Bose Fellowship by the Science and Engineering Research Board?
A4: Eligibility for the JC Bose Fellowship includes the following. Applicants must be an active scientist with exceptional performance. Age of the applicants must be below the age of 68 while holding a regular position within an Indian institution. He or she should be an Indian national.
Q5: How can scholarships for meritorious students impact future career prospects?
A5: Scholarships for meritorious students go a long way in making available several opportunities for growth and excellence. It works as an enabler in order to help them realise their true potential.
Q6: Is it necessary to be a board exam topper to apply for scholarships for meritorious students?
A6: While some scholarships for meritorious students require exceptional board exam performance, others consider a broader range of achievements.
Q7: Are scholarships for meritorious students awarded solely based on academic performance?
A7: Many scholarships for meritorious students consider academic excellence along with leadership abilities, extracurricular involvement, and community engagement.
Q8: Can scholarships for meritorious students be combined with other financial aids?
A8: Terms for scholarships for meritorious students may vary. Some are combined with other financial aids, while others are not.