Unlike the UK, the US, Canada and Australia, which are the most popular education destinations for students worldwide, Taiwan also emerges as a great option for those who wish to explore the perfect blend of academic competitiveness and international exposure within affordable and reasonable tuition fees. Being a modern, democratic and free society, Taiwan nationals are known for their hard-work, education, friendly and fun-loving aptitude.
If you also wish to pursue a program in Taiwan, here is what you necessarily need to know.
Why study in Taiwan?
Besides its holistic culture and hospitable people, Taiwan offers numerous reasons for students in India to go there and pursue higher level of studies. Some of the key reasons include –
- Special emphasis on improving the quality of education and academic resources by the Government of Taiwan.
- The availability of scholarship opportunities.
- Exposure to a colourful and rich culture.
- Opens up better job seeking opportunities in your home country.
- Affordable and pocket-friendly tuition available as compared to other foreign destinations.
Top universities in Taiwan
Housing more than 140 universities of higher education, 16 universities, Taiwan has been ranked on the QS World University Rankings 2018. Here is a list of top universities in Taiwan that offer admissions to international students –
- National Taiwan University
- National Tsing Hua University
- National Cheng Kung University
- National Chiao Tung University
- National Taiwan University of Science and Technology
- Taipei Medical University
- National Taipei University of Technology
Key courses to look for
Known for its language courses in Mandarin and Chinese, the students have a lot more options to explore from a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs, also including a number of short-term study programs in following fields of specialisation –
- Tropical Agriculture
- Genetic Engineering
- Semi-conductor technology
- Animal husbandry
Cost of study in Taiwan
Though the tuition fee may vary on the basis of university and subject you are opting for, the private universities may cost you slightly more. However, the national universities do have a reasonable fee structure that you can afford, ranging from NTD 50,460 to NTD 62,100 for undergraduate courses and NTD 51,280 to NTD 62,360 for most of the graduate programs. This is the per semester fees of the courses offered by different universities in Taiwan.
Besides this, to fund your education, these universities also offer scholarships and fellowships for international students to make their admission process hassle-free.
Scholarship opportunities to look for
Targeting exclusively on the international students’ market, the government of Taiwan and its universities are laying significant emphasis on the quality of higher education rendered. With several innovative programs being introduced for the promotion of international academic competitiveness in Taiwan, a number of scholarship opportunities are also available for the international students that include –
- Taiwan Government Scholarship
- Taiwan ICDF Scholarship
- Mandarin Language Enrichment Scholarship (introduced by the Ministry of Education, Republic of China Taiwan)
- The Taiwan International Graduate Program (TIGP) of Academia Sinica
- The list of scholarships does not end here. There are several other scholarships too offered by the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and NSC (National Science Council of the Executive Yuan).
Understanding the admission process
The normal process for admission to any course at Taiwan universities generally starts at the beginging of the calendar year and remains active till early March. The students fulfilling the eligibility criteria of the respective course and university can either apply through online system or by post. The important documents required for admission application include –
- Scanned copies of academic qualification
- Letters of recommendation
- Proof of language proficiency
- Application fee (if applicable)
- Proof of sufficient funding
Applying for the student visa
Lastly, the students need to understand the process of applying for a student visa. Being an Indian citizen, holding a student visa is a mandatory requirement for you to study in Taiwan. Valid for up to three months only, a student visa for Taiwan may take time in processing. Thus, it is advisable to apply well-before hand to avoid any last-minute inconvenience. Here is a checklist of documents that you need to prepare while applying for Taiwan student visa –
- Application form
- Passport-size photographs
- A valid passport
- Health certificate
- Certificate of enrolment to a University of Taiwan
- Education transcripts
- Study plan in about 200 words
- Financial statement of lass three months showing a minimum balance of NTD (New Taiwan Dollar) 80,000 or equivalent.
- Of course, the only agency which will process your visa application is the Taiwan Embassy located nearby your location.
- Now, when you are well-aware of the education scenario in Taiwan, you can head start your preparations for studying abroad there.