New Delhi, 27 December 2021 – The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has invited applications for the National Overseas Scholarship scheme (NOS)/Passage grant Scheme 2021-22 from Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. Under this scheme, the selected students will receive financial help to pursue higher education outside India. This study abroad scholarship plan is offered by the Government of India only to those ST candidates who want to pursue their education in any of these academic categories:
- Masters level
- PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) level
- Post-Doctoral Research programmes
The application portal opened on 22nd November 2021 and the application process will end on 31st December 2021.
National Overseas Scholarship Scheme 2021-22 – Details
Under NOS, 20 awards would be sanctioned every year to ST students. However, the award would be distributed in the following way:
- Scheduled Tribes (ST) – 17
- Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTG) – 03
Out of the 20 awards, 30% (6 awards) are earmarked for female students. However, if the earmarked seats remain empty, the slots shall be transferred to male candidates.
- Regarding the distribution of scholarship amount, the priority will be only given to those candidates who have already secured a preliminary letter/offer of admission.
- The second priority will be offered to those who have cleared GMAT/GRE/TOEFL, etc. and have started applying to various universities, and thereafter rest candidates.
National Overseas Scholarship 2021-22 – Courses Under the Scheme
The subjects/ courses that students may take up to be eligible for applying for the scholarship scheme are:
|Field of Study||Total Number of Slots|
Note – This is an illustrative list highlighting the subjects under each field of study, which can be taken for awarding selected students.
National Overseas Scholarship 2021-22 – Award Duration
The scheduled financial aid will be provided to students until the course/research is completed.
- Master’s degree – 1/2/3 years (depending on the duration of the course)
- PhD. – 4 years
- Postdoctoral Research – 1.5 year
National Overseas Scholarship 2021-22 – Value of Scholarship
The scholarship will be offered to ST students based on the below factors:
1. Annual Maintenance Allowance
- Allowance in US Dollars – $15,400
- Allowance in UK Pound – £9,900
2. Annual Emergency and Equipment Allowance
- Allowance in US Dollars – $1,532
- Allowance in UK Pound – £1,116
Apart from these allowances, the scholarship will also provide other benefits to the selected candidates, which will cover:
- Local travel fare
- Cost of air passage
- Visa fee
- Poll tax
- Incidental journey expenses (up to $18.70)
- Tuition fee
For other foreign countries, US Dollar or equivalent rates would be applicable for scholarship amount disbursal.
National Overseas Scholarship Scheme 2021-22 – Eligibility Criteria
There are a few specific eligibility criteria that applicants must go through before applying for this scholarship to avoid cancellation of their applications.
- Only one child from the family will be eligible for the one-time award.
- Bachelor level courses in any discipline are not covered under this scholarship scheme.
- The applicant must be below 35 years as on 1st July in the year for which the award is concerned.
- The combined family income of the applicant should be less than INR 6 lakh per year from all sources.
- The minimum qualification must be the following:
- For Master’s Degree – 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Bachelor’s degree
- For PhD. – 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s degree
- For Post-Doctoral – 55% marks or equivalent grade in relevant Master’s Degree and PhD.
Note: Experience will be an advantage for all programmes
National Overseas Scholarship Scheme 2021-22 – How to Apply?
- Visit the official website of the National Overseas Scholarship scheme (NOS)/Passage Grant Scheme 2021-22 by clicking here
- Register using a valid email address and mobile number
- Fill in the required details
- Submit the scholarship application