The JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship is a dedicated scholarship for Indian students who wish to pursue their higher studies abroad. Introduced by the Tata Trusts, this scholarship is specifically meant to support the education at postgraduate/doctoral/postdoctoral/research level. Students who are seeking opportunities to study abroad stand a chance to cover their academic expenses and other related expenses with the help of this scholarship. The students fulfilling the set eligibility and selection criteria will be provided a loan scholarship of up to INR 10 lakh.
Who are eligible to avail benefits under this scholarship? When and how can students apply for it? What kind of financial assistance is being offered under this scholarship? Are there any documents required for its application? What process is followed to select the scholars for the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship? The answers to all these questions are covered in this article. Read further to get deeper insights about the scholarship.
- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – An Overview
- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Key Dates
- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Award Details
- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Application Process
- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Documents Required
- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Selection Process
- JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Contact Details
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – An Overview
Initiated in 1892, the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship has offered partial financial assistance to over 5,350 students to help them pursue their higher studies abroad. It is a kind of loan scholarship which is offered at a simple interest of 2% per annum. The students are required to repay the loan amount borrowed at bare minimum rate of interest. However, if the students repay their loan within the specified time duration (i.e., between the end of 3rd and 7th year), the Trustees may waive off the interest. Furthermore, get a detailed overview of the scholarship in the table given below.
Detailed Overview of the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship
|Name of the scholarship||The JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship|
|Provider detail||Tata Trusts|
|Scholarship Type||Merit-based (for studies abroad)|
|Applicable for||Indian students pursuing postgraduate/doctoral/postdoctoral/research studies abroad|
|Scholarship award||Loan scholarship up to INR 10 lakh|
Gift scholarship up to INR 7,50,00 and travel grant up to INR 50,000 (subject to overseas academic performance)
|Application timeline*||Between December and March|
*The application timeline mentioned above is tentative and may change on the discretion of the scholarship provider.
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Key Dates
Before heading on to the other details related to the scholarship, it is important for students to keep track of the dates associated with it. The application timeline for the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship generally falls between December and March. For the academic year 2020-21, the applications have already started and will continue till 8th March 2021. Besides this, the details of other important dates related to the scholarship have been given below.
- Application Deadline: 8th March 2021
- Date of Online Test: Between March and June
- Date of Interview: Between April and June
- Announcement of Awards: First week of July
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
Now that you are aware of the key dates related to the scholarship, you must also have a clear idea of the eligibility conditions that you must fulfil. These conditions are generally based on your academic qualification and age limitations. A detailed overview of the eligibility criteria for the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship has been given below –
- Applicable only for Indian nationals.
- They must be graduates of a recognized Indian University with at least 60% marks in their last academic examination (Note: Candidates who do not have an undergraduate degree from a recognized university in India are not eligible).
- Candidates who are at the beginning of the second year of their overseas studies (Fall 2021– Spring 2022) are also eligible to apply. This is applicable only if the minimum duration of the course is 2 years.
- J N Tata scholars who have fully repaid their existing loan scholarship (if any) are eligible to apply.
- Candidates in the final year of their degree courses and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply even if they haven’t received admission/offer letters from the Universities to which they have applied for the academic year 2021-2022, at the time of making the application. However, they must update their application status with the Endowment once they secure admission.
- The age of the candidates must not be older than 45 years as on 30th June 2021.
- Candidates having a good academic record, training and experience in their fields, specialization may also apply.
- Candidates going abroad for seminars, conferences and undergraduate studies are not eligible for the J. N. Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship.
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Award Details
The students selected for the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship will get a loan scholarship of up to INR 10 lakh. Besides this, they are also entitled for a ‘Travel Grant’ and a ‘Gift Award’ based on their academic performance. While the travel grant can be for a maximum amount INR 50,000, the gift award can be a maximum of INR 7,50,000.
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Application Process
What steps must be followed to apply for the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship? Can the application be filled online? These are some common questions related to the scholarship application. The answer to these questions is given in a few simple steps below –
Step 1: Visit the official scholarship page.
Step 2: Read all the details carefully and click on the ‘Apply Now’ button given under the ‘How can you apply?’ section.
Step 3: You will be redirected to the official application page of the scholarship. Click on the ‘Click here to apply’ button.
Step 4: New users can click on the ‘Register’ button while the existing users can make a login using registered email ID and password.
Step 5: Once registered, login to the user dashboard to complete the application formalities.
Step 6: Fill in all required details in the application form
Step 7: Provide the Statement of Purpose (SOP) and the Letter of Recommendation (LOR) and submit the application.
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Documents Required
While applying for the JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship, the students are required to provide two important documents i.e., Statement of Purpose (SOP) and one Letter of Recommendation (LOR). The SOP must be written between 500 and 800 words. Furthermore, the LOR must be arranged from a Professor of the College/University or the Employer (in case the applicant is/was working). The LOR must be addressed to “The Trustees of the J.N. Tata Endowment”. The last date to receive the LOR is 15th March 2021.
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Selection Process
Mere fulfilment of the eligibility conditions does not guarantee the selection for the scholarship. The candidates are required to pass the multi-stage selection process set by the provider. It involves –
- Initial screening of all the applications received
- Online test based on the lines of Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA)
- Interview of the candidates selected in the online test
JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship – Contact Details
In case you have any queries related to the scholarship, its eligibility, application process, awards and other related information, feel free to contact on the details given below –
Phone: 022-6665 7774 / 7198 / 7681