The State Government of Andhra Pradesh launched the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme as a flagship educational welfare programme on 9 January 2020 with a sincere intent to reduce the dropout rate significantly in schools. The Gross Enrollment Ratio (GER) of Andhra Pradesh Primary Education was as low as 84.48 when compared to the national average of 99.21 in 2018. Andhra Pradesh then was at the lowest place among 29 States in India. With the requirement of 75% attendance made mandatory for availing the benefits under Jagananna Amma Vodi scheme the mothers have taken the responsibility of sending their children to school regularly. The State of Andhra Pradesh has witnessed a remarkable surge in GER from 84.48 to 100.8 in the last 4 years. The Government has decided to further improve the GER and to encourage the continuation of studies of the students. Those who have failed in Class 10th and Intermediate are readmitted to schools and colleges and are once again provided with Jagananna Amma Vodi benefit.
The scheme aims to encourage mothers of school-aged children from Class 1 to 12 to send their ward to school by providing them with financial assistance. Under the scheme, eligible mothers receive an amount of ₹15,000 per annum, which is credited directly into their bank accounts.
The scheme is named after Jagan Mohan Reddy, the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. It is one of the many Navaratnalu (nine gems) schemes launched by the state government to improve the lives of the poor and marginalised.
Children pursuing their studies in the schools mentioned below are eligible to apply under this scheme:
- Government Schools
- Private Unaided Schools
- Private Aided Schools
- Residential Schools, etc.
Furthermore, there is no limit on the number of children who can apply.
The Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme is a successful educational welfare program that has had a significant impact on education in Andhra Pradesh. The scheme has helped to improve school attendance rates, reduce dropout rates, and improve learning outcomes. It has also empowered women by giving them financial control and decision-making power over their children’s education.
Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme – Objectives
The primary objective of the Jagananna Amma Vodi scheme is to increase school enrollment and reduce dropout rates. The scheme also aims to improve the quality of education by providing financial assistance to mothers to meet the educational expenses of their children.
Jagananna Amma Vodi scheme aims to meet the following objectives:
- Increase school enrollment rates, especially among girls and children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Reduce dropout rates and ensure that children complete their school education.
- Improve the quality of education by providing financial assistance to mothers to meet the educational expenditures of their children.
- Empower mothers and make them active partners in their children’s education.
- Reduce the financial burden on the families and make education more affordable.
- Promote social and gender equality.
Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme – Benefits
Under the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme, each mother receives an annual financial assistance of ₹15,000, which is credited directly into her bank account. This amount can be used to cover various educational expenditures incurred on tuition fees, books, uniforms, and transportation costs.
- Eligible mothers or guardians will receive ₹15,000 each year, which will be deposited directly into their savings accounts in a nationalized bank or post office in the month of January until their child passes Class 12.
Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme – Eligibility Criteria
To be considered eligible under the Andhra Pradesh scholarship scheme, the following criteria must be met:
- Mother/guardian must be a permanent resident of the State of Andhra Pradesh.
- Children must be pursuing their studies in Class 1 to 12 in a recognised government, private-aided/private-unaided schools, junior colleges or or residential school/junior college in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- The mother/guardian of the child must belong to a BPL (Below Poverty Line) family.
- Families of the applicants should have a white ration card, the ration card meant for the BPL families.
- Family income of the applicants must be less than ₹10,000 per month in rural areas and ₹12,000 per month in urban areas under the BPL categories.
- Mother, guardian or the beneficiary should have either a valid Aadhaar Card or a valid Voter ID.
- No family member of the applicant should be a government employee or government pensioner. Applicants from the families of sanitary workers are exempted from this requirement.
- The family of the applicant should not own a four-wheeler. Taxis, tractors, and autos are excluded from the categories of four-wheelers.
- Monthly electricity consumption in the family dwelling unit of the applicant (owned or rented) should be below 300 units on an average.
- Land under the municipal area should be less than 1,000 square feet.
- No family member of the applicant should be an income tax payee.
- Attendance of the child should be at least 75%.
Children under the following categories are also eligible under the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme:
- Children of Single Mothers
- Children of Unmarried Mothers
- Children of Widows
- Children of Divorced Mothers
- Children of Destitute Mothers
- Children of Mothers as a Victims of Domestic Violence
- Children of Mothers Suffering from Chronic Diseases
- Children of Illiterate Mothers
- Students who drop out of school or quit in the middle of the year will not be considered eligible for the benefits under the scheme.
- Students in Class 10 who are opting for IIT/Polytechnic/IIIT (Indian Institute of Information Technology) and other courses are eligible under the Jagananna Vidya Deevena and Jagananna Vasathi Deevena scheme. However, they will not be considered eligible under the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme.
Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme – How to Apply? (Offline)
Application process for the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme is through the offline mode. To avail the benefits under the scheme, applicants or their mothers have to visit the nearest government office to obtain the application form. The detailed application process is as under.
- Eligible mothers/guardians can apply offline under the scheme with the help of the school headmaster/inter-college principal.
- The school headmaster/inter-college principal will submit the details of the students. Following data shall be the single source underlying the basis of release of financial assistance.
- Name of the Applicant
- Age of the Applicant
- Name of the Parent
- Disability Status of the Applicants (if applicable)
- Castes (General, SC, ST, BCs, Minority)
- The details will be cross-checked with other government records, such as Child info/UDISE data and Civil Supplies data. The immediate inspecting officer of the institution will certify the details for payment.
- A provisional list of eligible candidates will be displayed in the village/ward secretariat for social audit. From the social audit, a list of ineligible candidates will be prepared along with the reasons for their ineligibility. The candidates will be informed of their rejection of application.
- The final list of eligible candidates will be prepared by the Welfare Education Assistant/Ward Education and Data Processing Secretary and approved by the District Collector. The e-KYC of the mother will be done through Biometric by the Volunteers/Welfare Education Assistant/Ward Education and Data Processing Secretary.
- Concerned District Educational Officers/District Vocational Educational Officer/Regional Educational Officer, and Intermediate Education thereafter will release the financial assistance online to the savings bank account of the beneficiaries.
- The Volunteers/Welfare Education Assistant/Ward Education and Data Processing Secretary will get the acknowledgement from the mothers through biometric authentication regarding the receipt of the payment.
How to Search for Child Details for the Amma Vodi Scheme?
- Applicants or the parents should visit the official website of Jagananna Amma Vodi (jaganannaammavodi.ap.gov.in/)
- They should click on the link that mentions ‘Click Here for Child Details for Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme’.
- On the new page, they should enter the Aadhaar number.
- When asked, enter the verification number displayed in the image.
- Click on the section with ‘Get Details’ label.
Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme – Documents
To apply under the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme, mothers must submit the following documents:
- Aadhar Card of the Mother and Child
- White Ration Card
- Income Certificate of the Mother
- Proof of Address such as the Aadhaar Card, Voter ID, Electricity Bill, etc.
- Bank Account Details of the Mother/Guardian
- School Enrollment Certificate of the Child
- School’s Identity Card
- Passport Size Photo of the Mother of the Applicant
Once the application is submitted, it is verified by the school authorities and the District Education Officer. After approval, the financial assistance is credited directly into the bank account of the mother.
Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme – Future Outlook
The Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme is likely to have a positive impact on the education system in Andhra Pradesh in the long term. The scheme is expected to help improve school enrollment and attendance, reduce the dropout rate, and improve learning outcomes among children. The scheme is also likely to contribute to the overall development of the State of Andhra Pradesh.
- జగనన్న అమ్మ వోడి Scheme Application Status
- జగనన్న అమ్మ వోడి Scheme Guidelines
- జగనన్న అమ్మ వోడి Scheme Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
- Andhra Pradesh Navasakam Beneficiary Management Portal
- Department of School Education, Andhra Pradesh Government
Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme – FAQs
What is the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme?
Government of Andhra Pradesh has announced the programme Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme for providing financial assistance to each mother or recognized guardian in the absence of mother, who is below poverty line household, irrespective of caste, creed, religion and region to enable her to educate her child/children from Class 1 to 12.
How much financial assistance is provided under the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme?
Beneficiaries or mothers of the successful applicants receive ₹15,000 per annum under the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme for sending their children to school.
Are residents of Telangana also eligible to apply under this scheme?
No, only the residents of Andhra Pradesh are eligible to apply under the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme.
Can a student apply if they have a family member who is a government pensioner?
No, applicants with a family member who is a government pensioner are not eligible to apply under the Jagananna Amma Vodi Scheme.
What are the eligibility criteria for the schools or colleges where the students are admitted or enrolled?
The schools or colleges where the students are admitted or enrolled must be a recognized government, private aided, or private unaided school/junior college or residential school/junior college in the State of Andhra Pradesh.