Aadhaar card documents: To apply for a scholarship or opening a new bank account, aadhaar card has become one of the most important and common documents to be used as ID proof. To avail an Aadhaar card, it is mandatory to fill up an enrollment form. Under Aadhaar Act 2016, every Indian resident, has the right to apply and avail of an aadhaar card. For this, they need to submit the self-attested copies of the required documents.
Note: Users must visit the nearest UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) office instead of visiting any other self-proclaimed centre. As it is a biometric document, which records the personal details of the applicants in the government database, it is always advisable to get the aadhaar card enrolled/ created from authentic UIDAI centres only.
To know more about all the supporting documents required to to create a valid aadhaar card, one must read this article till last.
Aadhaar Card Documents – List of All Required Documents
From 2009 till present, more than 125 crore Indian residents now possess this government recognised document. To ensure complete security, the Indian government has issued a Government body with a list of documents. They scrutinise the vital information, verify the authenticity of applicants’ shared documents and collect the biometrics.
To apply for a new aadhaar card, it is important that valid address proof, date of birth proof, and relationship proof documents are submitted. Below is the list of all necessary documents required to apply for an aadhaar card.
Aadhaar Card Documents – Address Proof
The documents that are accepted as proof of address are:
- Voter ID card
- Driving licence
- Bank Statement or Passbook
- Post Office passbook
- Ration Card
- Government issued photo ID cards
- Service photo ID card (consisting of address) issued by PSU
- Electricity bills for last the last 3 months
- Water bill (not more than 3 months old)
- Landline bills of the for the last 3 months
- Property tax receipt of the last 3 months (if any)
- Credit card statement of last 3 months
- Insurance policy
- Photograph and a letter including address (must be signed on letterhead by the bank)
- NREGA Job card
- Pensioner card
- Arms licence
- Kisan passbook
- Freedom fighter card
- ECHS/ CGHS card
- Address certificate including a photograph (on a letterhead) and must be issued by a Gazetted Officer, Tehsildar, MLA or MP
- Address certificate provided by the head of Village Panchayat or other authority equal to them for rural places
- Income Tax assessment order
- Vehicle’s registration certificate
- Registered agreement for rent, sale, or lease of the applicant’s residing address
- Address card and photo by the Department of Posts
- Domicile and caste certificate issued by the State Government (including photograph)
- Gas connection bill for the last 3 months
- Disability Identification and a handicapped medical certificate or Identification card for disability issued by the UT Government, State Government, or Administrations
- Parents’ or spouse’ passport
- State/Central government issued accommodation allotment letter (less than 3 years old)
- Government issued marriage certificate (including address)
- Jan-Aadhaar card/Bhamashah Card issued by Government (by Rajasthan government)
- Certificate from Warden/Matron/Superintendent/Head of recognized Institutions orphanages, shelter homes, etc.
- The Municipal Councillor issued certificate of Address (must have a photograph)
- Recognized educational institutions issued Identity card
- SSLC book (must have a photograph)
- Identity card issued by the school
- School leaving certificate (SLC) or Transfer Certificate (TC) containing address and name
- Head of school issued records including photograph, name, and address
- Identity certificate including name, photograph, and address provided by a recognized educational institution (must be signed by institute head)
- EPFO issued an identity certificate including a photograph, date of birth, and name
Aadhaar Card Documents – Date of Birth Proof
The documents that are accepted as proof of birth includes:
- Secondary school leaving certificate/book
- Applicant’s passport
- PAN (permanent account number) Card
- Group A Gazetted Officer issued date of birth certificate on letterhead
- An ID card or certificate having a photograph and DOB duly issued and signed by a government authority
- Recognized educational institution issued photo ID card (must have DOB)
- Government University issued mark sheet
- PSU issued ID card, government photo identity proof or photograph ID card containing the date of birth
- Pension Payment Order (State or Central)
- Ex-servicemen contributory health scheme photo ID card or central government health service scheme photo card
- School Transfer Certificate (TC)/School Leaving Certificate (SLC) including name and date of birth
- Head of school issued extract of school records consisting of photograph, name, and date of birth
- Recognized educational issued institution Identity certificate consisting photograph, name, and date of birth and must be signed by the head of the institute
- EPFO issued a certificate of identity including a photograph, name, and date of birth
Aadhaar Card Documents – Relationship Proof
As aadhaar card is issued for every individual in a family, it is mandatory for the applicant to inform UIDAI the relationship of his/her with the head of the family. This is especially required in case of minors. The documents that are accepted as proof of relation includes –
- Public Distribution System (PDS) card
- MNREGA Job card
- State Government, ECHS, ESIC, or CGHS issued medical card
- Army canteen card
- Pension card
- Applicant’s passport
- Central or State government issued family entitlement document
- Birth certificate offered by the registrar of Municipal/Birth corporation or any other local government body
- Marriage certificate issued by government (for newly wed females)
- Address card must have a photograph or name provided by the Department of Posts
- The Government of Rajasthan issued a Jan-Aadhaar card/Bhamashah card
- Government hospitals issued discharge card/slip for childbirth
- Municipal Councillor/MP /MLC/MLA/Gazetted officer issued certificate of Identity (must include photograph)
- Mukhiya/Village Panchayat Head or its equivalent authority issued certificate of Identity (must include a photograph and relationship with HoF)
Aadhaar Card Documents – For Children Below 5 Years
The Aadhaar card documents required for children below the age of 5 years are parent’s aadhaar card, residence proof, identity proof or birth certificate . Below is the list of all required documents accepted by the UIDAI office for the release of an Aadhaar card.
Residence Proof Documents
- Copy of passport
- Copy of ration card
- Parent’s voter ID card, driving License, passbook and bank statement
- Parent’s credit card statement, electricity bills, water bill, gas connection bill, and landline phone bill for the last 3 months
- Insurance Policy
Identity Proof Documents
- Copy of PAN Card
- Copy of passport
- Copy of voter ID
- Driving licence
- Insurance Policy
Birth Certificate Proof Documents
- Original birth certificate of the child
- Discharge certificate provided by the hospital
Note: All children below the age of 5 do not need to submit their biometric records.
Important Links –
Aadhaar Card Documents – FAQs
What documents are required for Aadhaar card enrollment?
An applicant needs to submit address proof, date of birth certificate, and relationship proof for aadhaar card enrollment.
What documents are accepted as address proof for aadhaar card enrollment?
UIDAI accepts voter ID cards, driving licences, post office passbooks, ration cards, passports, electricity bills, water bills, and more are accepted as address proof for aadhar card emrollment.
Can I get an aadhaar card without submitting any document?
No, every citizen needs to submit the required documents for aadhaar card enrollment.
What is the minimum age to apply for aadhaar card enrollment?
There is no minimum age for aadhaar card enrolment.
Can a person have 2 aadhaar cards?
No. However, until now, there is no specific restriction on the number of aadhaar cards linked to a single mobile number.