Every year the government is spending about INR 19,000 crore on scholarships with the objective “Every student matters; every student counts”. Once selected, the amount of the government scholarships is directly transferred to the student’s account. There are scholarships for almost all the students. The student only needs to choose the best-fit scholarship. These scholarships are important for students to kick-start their careers.
The application process for these government scholarships is online only and the registrations are done through the National Scholarship Portal. The scholarship is just for a single academic year. So for each subsequent year, the student needs to apply for the renewal of the scholarship.
Here we are listing top 20 government scholarships in India for your reference. The scholarships are active as of now and the deadline for most of the scholarships is 31st October 2018. Apply to avoid any last minute rush.
- Government Scholarships (by organizing authority) for Indian Students
- Ministry of Minority Affairs
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
- Ministry of Labour & Employment
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs
- Department of School Education
- Department of Higher Education
- WARB, Ministry of Home Affairs
- University Grants Commission (UGC)
- Department of Science and Technology (DST)
Ministry of Minority Affairs
1. Pre Matric Scholarship Scheme for Minority: This scholarship is especially for the minority community students studying in class 1 to 10.
2. Post Matric Scholarship Scheme for Minority: This scholarship is especially for the minority students studying in class 11 to PhD, including Diploma.
3. Merit cum Means Scholarship for Professional and Technical Courses CS: This scholarship is to study technical and professional courses at graduation and post-graduation level.
4. National Overseas Scholarship for Minority Community students: This scholarship invites applications from the students of the minority community to study Graduation to PhD courses from abroad.
5. Begum Hazrat Mahal National Scholarship Scheme for Minorities Girls 2018-19: The scholarship invites application from girl candidates of the minority community to study after class 10.
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
6. Pre-matric Scholarship for Students with Disabilities: The scholarship invites application from physically challenged students of class 9 and 10.
7. Post-matric Scholarship for Students with Disability: This scholarship invites application from physically challenged students of class 11 to PhD, including Diploma.
8. Scholarships for Top Class Education for Students with Disability: These government scholarships is for the students having a certificate of disability and studying in graduation and post-graduation courses including diploma courses.
Ministry of Labour & Employment
9. Financial Assistance for Education of the Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers – Post-Matric: The scholarships invites students of class 11 to professional courses (BE/MBBS/BSc Agri) and diploma.
10. Financial Assistance for Education of the Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers – Pre-Matric: This scholarship is for the students of class 1 to 10, whose family engaged in above works.
Ministry of Tribal Affairs
11. National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students – Scholarship (Formally Top Class Education for Schedule Tribe Students): The applicant must be pursuing MPhil or PhD courses in case of fellowship and must be pursuing graduation or post-graduation for the scholarship.
12. National Overseas Scholarship for ST: This scholarship invites applications from Schedule Tribe students who wish to pursue post-graduation, PhD or Post-doctoral level courses from abroad.
Department of School Education
13. National Means cum Merit Scholarship: The scholarship is especially for the meritorious students of class 9 to 12 whose family income from all the sources is not more than INR 1.5 lakhs per annum.
Department of Higher Education
14. Central Sector Scheme of Scholarships for College and University Students: This scholarship is for the students pursuing professional courses such as Medical or Engineering at graduation and post-graduation level.
WARB, Ministry of Home Affairs
15. Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme for Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles: This scholarship is to encourage technical and professional education for the wards and widows of Central Armed Police Forces & Assam Rifles (CAPFs & AR) Personnel.
University Grants Commission (UGC)
16. PG Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child: This scholarship is for the girl child who is the only child of her family and is studying post-graduation course.
17. PG Scholarship for University Rank Holders (1st and 2nd RANK HOLDERS): This scholarship is especially for the university student who has secured first or second rank in the post-graduation level of study.
18. PG Scholarship Scheme for SC ST Students for Pursuing Professional Courses: The scholarship invites students of scheduled caste/scheduled tribe for professional courses at post-graduation level.
Department of Science and Technology (DST)
19. Newton Bhabha PhD Placement Programme 2018: This scholarship is inviting PhD scholars for short-term placements in the UK as well as Indian institutions from March to October.
20. Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) 2018: This scholarship is for the students of class 11 to 1st-year graduation in Basic Science.
You can find more government scholarships on Buddy4Study website. We are an online scholarship information portal where all the information is available for free. You can also be a part of Buddy4Study by registering yourself through Gmail, Facebook or any other email ID.