Bikash Bhavan Scholarship is offered by the state government of West Bengal to students from class 12 to the postdoctoral level. The scholarship is also known as the Swami Vivekananda Merit-cum-Means Scholarship (SVMCM). It offers financial aid to meritorious students belonging to economically weaker sections.
The state government of West Bengal exclusively provides this scholarship to the domicile students. Along with this, recipients of Kanyashree are also eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Interested students can visit the official website: svmcm.wbhed.gov.in. The last date of application is yet to be declared. Students can keep checking the official portal to get the latest update.
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – General Overview
|Name of the Scheme||The Bikash Bhavan Scholarship|
|Also known as||Swami Vivekananda Merit-cum-Means Scholarship|
|Conducted By||The State Government of West Bengal|
|Rewards||Up to INR 8,000 per month|
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
The Bikash Bhavan Scholarship has general and specific eligibility criteria. The criteria along with the eligible courses under each category have been listed below:
General Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants should be in the domicile of West Bengal.
- Applicants should be students of class 12/ undergraduate level/ postgraduate level/ doctoral degree at any institution or university in West Bengal.
- Applicants should have a degree from a state board (council of secondary education/ council of higher secondary education), a state university or Madrasa educational institutions.
- The annual family income of candidates should not exceed INR 2.5 lakhs.
Specific Eligibility Criteria
|Level of Education||Eligibility Criteria|
|Higher Secondary Level||
|Diploma/ Polytechnic Level||
|MPhil/ Non-NET/ NET-LS Research Fellow Applicants||
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – Category-wise Eligible Courses
|Category||Courses/ Level of Study|
|Directorate of School Education (DSE)||
|Directorate of Madrasah Education (DME)||
|Directorate of Public Instruction (DPI) for General degree courses||
|Technical Education at Colleges/ Universities||
|Directorate of Technical Education and Training (DTE&T)||
|Directorate of Medical Education||
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – Rewards and Benefits
This scholarship has been introduced to benefit deserving candidates based on merit and means. It provides rewards according to the level of courses they are pursuing. The course-wise scholarship benefits are mentioned in the table below:
|Level of Study/ Courses||Scholarship Benefits/ Awards|
|Non-NET MPhil||A scholarship amount of INR 5000 per month|
|Non-NET Ph.D.||A scholarship amount of INR 8000 per month|
|Postgraduate in Arts||A scholarship amount of INR 2000 per month.|
|Postgraduate in Science||A scholarship amount of INR 2500 per month.|
|Postgraduate in Commerce||A scholarship amount of INR 2000 per month.|
|Undergraduate in Arts||A scholarship amount of INR 1000 per month.|
|Undergraduate in Commerce||A scholarship amount of INR 1000 per month.|
|Undergraduate in Diploma courses||A scholarship amount of INR 1500 per month.|
|Undergraduate in Medical courses||A scholarship amount of INR 5000 per month.|
|Undergraduate in Polytechnic||A scholarship amount of INR 1500 per month.|
|Undergraduate in Science||A scholarship amount of INR 1500 per month.|
|Postgraduate in Other UGC approved Professional courses||A scholarship amount of INR 2500 per month.|
|Undergraduate in other UGC approved Professional courses||A scholarship amount of INR 1500 per month.|
|Undergraduate/ Postgraduate in AICTE approved Engineering or Other Professional Courses||A scholarship amount of INR 5000 per month.|
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – Application Process
Candidates need to apply online for the Bikash Bhavan Scholarship. Submitted applications are sorted based on marks obtained by the applicants in respective examinations and their financial condition. The disbursement of the scholarship amount to the selected candidate’s bank account is dependent on the availability of funds. The steps to apply for the scholarship are as follows:
To register, an applicant must follow the steps mentioned below-
Step 1 – Candidates must visit the official website of the Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – svmcm.wbhed.gov.in.
Step 2 – Then, click on the ‘Register’ tab on the top right corner of the home page.
Step 3 – Candidates need to fill up the online registration form for the scholarship.
Step 4 – On successful completion of registration, a 15-character ID will be generated and should be used to log in to the portal.
Step 5 – Candidates can download the registration slip for future reference.
- Kanyashree applicants must fill up the authentication form with all required details of the Kanyashree program (ID, name of the applicant, parents’ names, and date of birth). Once authenticated, the applicants can fill up the registration form and proceed further.
- In case of forgetting or misplacing login credentials, an applicant can click on the ‘Forgot Applicant ID/ Password’ tab to retrieve the credentials on the application login page.
Login to Portal
Step 1 – Post successful registration, applicants should log in to the scholarship portal using his/ her application id, password, and captcha displayed.
Step 2 – Applicants should fill up the rest of the Bikash Bhavan scholarship registration form.
Step 3 – They also need to upload a scanned copy of the image and signature in the given size and format.
- The image and the signature should be in JPG/ JPEG format.
- The image and signature size (JPG) should not be below 20 KB and should not exceed 50 KB.
- The image and signature size (JPEG) should not be below 10 KB and should not exceed 20 KB.
Uploading Required Documents
- After submitting the application form, candidates need to upload all the necessary documents.
- All the documents should be uploaded in PDF format and the size of the overall documents should not exceed 400 KB.
- Once the candidates are done with uploading all the necessary documents, they should click on the ‘Submit Application’ button to complete the registration process for the Bikash Bhavan Scholarship.
- Applicants can download the verification certificate for future reference.
- Applicants are required to get a copy of the verification certificate signed by the respective Head of the Institution and upload the same on the scholarship portal.
Bikash Bhavan Scholarship – Required Document
|Marks card of the previous qualifying examination|
|Scanned copy of the institute verification form which is authenticated by the respective Head of the Institution|
|Recent passport-size photograph with the prescribed size between 10 KB and 50 KB|
|Admit card of the Madhyamik Pariksha or equivalent examination|
|Voter ID/ Ration card/ Aadhar card|
|Copy of the income certificate of the applicant’s parent/ guardian|
|Copy of the income affidavit in the prescribed format|
|Domicile certificate issued by the concerned authority|
|Copy of the first page of the bank passbook with the account number and IFSC code displayed|
The Bikash Bhavan Scholarship has been helping deserving and underprivileged students to achieve their academic goals. Applicants can get the scholarship based on the eligibility criteria and the availability of funds.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who is eligible for this scholarship?
Applicants in class 12 with a minimum aggregate of 60% in their last examination and not having a family income of more than INR 2.5 lakhs are eligible to get the scholarship.
What is the official website to apply for this scholarship?
The official website to apply for the Swami Vivekananda Merit-cum-Means (SVMCM) is svmcm.wbhed.gov.in.
How to apply for the Bikash Bhavan Scholarship?
Candidates need to visit the official website of the Bikash Bhavan Scholarship and register themselves to fill up the application registration form.
How much percentage is required for honors candidates to apply for this scholarship?
Candidates who have secured 53% marks in honors subject for post-graduation general courses and 55% marks in honors subject for post-graduation engineering courses can apply for the scholarship.
How much is offered in the Bikash Bhavan Scholarship?
Candidates can receive up to INR 8,000 per month through this scholarship scheme.