New Delhi, 10 February 2022: Hundreds of students have been waiting for the past one year for scholarships initiated through the State Scholarship Portal (SSP) and awarded by the Department of Social Welfare. A majority of the beneficiaries are undergraduate (UG) or postgraduate (PG) students. They stated that they have submitted all the required documents for obtaining the scholarship, but are yet to receive it.
Update: Last date to apply for the SSP Post-Matric scholarship 2022 was July 31, 2022.
- However, as per the officials from the Department of Social Welfare, only 176 beneficiaries have not received the scholarship amount due to issues in their Aadhaar number and bank seeding.
- The officials also stated that they have asked the beneficiaries to provide the correct details.
- The scholarship amount of each beneficiary differs and it is decided based on course fee as well as college.
- There is no fixed scholarship amount. The highest scholarship is awarded to medical and engineering students.
- Close to 23,000 scholarships have been disbursed out of 25,000 applications in Dakshina Kannada (South Karnataka), under the backward classes welfare department.
SSP Scholarship Scholars: Complaints
- Students complained that they have been applying for undergraduate courses under the OBC category for two years but there isn’t any update regarding their scholarship disbursal amount.
- Some students also stated that with no scholarship, they are now planning to take out a loan to continue studies.
Note: For undergraduate courses, about Rs 25,000 in scholarship was promised. However, students have received less than Rs 5,000.
About SSP Scholarships
- The State Scholarship Portal (SSP) is initiated by the Center for e-Governance, Government of Karnataka (GoK).
- The SSP Scholarship portal aims at sanctioning Pre-Matric and Post-Matric Scholarships of GoK.
- The government of Karnataka offers many re-matric and post-matric scholarships to eligible candidates.
- There are a total of 4 departments that offer scholarships through SSP to meritorious and needy students as follows:
- Social Welfare Department
- Scheduled Welfare Department
- Backward Classes Welfare Department
- Minorities Welfare Department.
- SSP performs Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) into the Aadhaar-seeded accounts of the selected students.
- Students apply for various scholarships through the official website of SSP.
- Department portals are not applicable for applying to various SSP scholarships.