PMSSS scholarship or Prime Minister Special Scholarship Scheme was launched by AICTE in the academic year 2011-12 for the meritorious students of Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. The main aim of this scholarship is to provide access to quality education so that the students can enhance their knowledge and skills for the higher academic or professional level. PMSSS scholarship offers 5,000 fresh scholarships every year to the students who are studying in regular General/Professional/ Medical degree courses in the prescribed list of the colleges given on the AICTE portal.
This article will give you an insight into the PMSSS scholarship and the process to be followed to apply for it. Also, you’ll get to know more about some important details associated with the scholarship such as its eligibility criteria, award details, documents required, and more.
PMSSS Scholarship – Key Highlights
The given below table highlights the important information about PMSSS scholarship –
|Name of the Scholarship||Prime Minister Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS)|
|Provider Detail||All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)|
|Official Website||AICTE portal|
|Benefits||Upto INR 3 lakhs|
|Number of Available Scholarships||5,000|
|Beneficiaries||Students of UTs of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Ladakh|
|Application Timeline*||Between July and November|
*The application timeline mentioned above is tentative and may change at the discretion of the provider.
PMSSS Scholarship – Key Dates
The tentative dates of Prime Minister Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS) are given below –
|Starting Date for Online submission of Application form||1st week of July 2021|
|Last Date to Submit Online Application||Last week of July 2021|
|Documents Verification Date||3rd week of July 2021|
|Release of Merit List||August 2021|
|Allocation of Financial Support||September 2021|
PMSSS Scholarship – Key Eligibility
The one key eligibility criteria applicable for the PMSSS scholarship is that the student should be a permanent resident of the UTs of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Ladakh. Besides this, you also need to fulfill the listed below eligibility criteria to apply for the PMSSS scholarship.
- The students must have passed the 10+2 exam from the J&K Board (JKBOSE) or CBSE affiliated schools located in UTs of J&K and Ladakh.
- The students must have passed a 10+3 diploma from UTs of J&K and Ladakh Polytechnic for direct admission in the second year in the prescribed list of colleges against the vacant seats of the previous year.
- The annual income of the family should be less than INR 8 lakh.
The following students are not eligible for the scholarship –
- Students who do not apply through online registration on AICTE Portal.
- Students who are enrolled in courses offered by Open University.
- Students who were absent during the counseling.
- Students who joined other than the allotted institution.
- Students who are availing benefits from any other Govt./Non-Govt scheme.
- Students who got admission to the course through the Management quota.
- Students who joined a college other than those in AICTE Portal.
- Students who are taking admission through agents or NGOs.
- Students who are pursuing any diploma/postgraduate programme.
Note: The students taking admission in medical courses are required to qualify NEET exam.
PMSSS Scholarship – Step-wise Application Process
The students who want to avail the benefits of the PMSSS scholarship need to follow the listed below set of instructions to apply for it–
Student Registration –
Step 1: Visit the AICTE JK Scholarship web portal.
Step 2: Scroll down the homepage and click on the registration button for PMSSS Scholarship.
Step 3: Fill in all the required details and submit the registration form.
Step 4: The student will receive an SMS/email on the registered mobile number/ email verification after a successful registration.
Step 5: Click on the registration link to complete the registration process.
Application Submission by the Student –
Step 1: The students are required to log in through the official AICTE JK scholarship web portal.
Step 2: Prepare the scanned copies of all the supporting documents in jpg/png format with a file size of not more than 2 MB.
Step 3: Once logged in, read the brochure carefully, tick the declaration and click on the “Proceed Further” button.
Step 4: Fill in all the required details in the form such as personal information, address, educational details, family income, etc.
Step 5: Upload all the supporting documents and preview the application form.
Step 6: Provide the details of preferences and grievance centre details.
Step 7: Finally, click on the “Submit Application” to submit the application form.
Document Verification by the Facilitation Centre –
Step 1: After successfully submitting the application form online, the students are required to take the print-out of the application report and visit the facilitation centre along with all the supporting documents in original for document verification.
Step 2: Submit the photocopies of all the documents to the facilitation centre at the time of verification.
Step 3: The students are required to collect a copy of their document verification report after the verification.
PMSSS Scholarship – Documents Required
To apply for the PMSSS scholarship, the students are required to attach some documents in support of their application. It is advised to the students to keep the scanned copies of all supporting documents handy before they start with the application process. The list of important documents include –
- Domicile certificate of J&K and Ladakh
- Family income certificate (Issued by Tehsildar or equivalent)
- Aadhaar card
- Class 10th mark sheet
- Class 12th mark sheet
- Diploma certificate (for lateral entry only)
- Valid disability certificate (if any)
- Valid caste certificate for SC/ST/SEBC for claiming the reservation as per State Govt. Policy
Other attachments (in jpg/png not more than 10kb to 50kb)
- Passport size photo (200 x 230 pixels – preferred)
- Signature (140 x 60 pixels – preferred)
PMSSS Scholarship – Award Details
The disbursement of academic fees and maintenance fees among the students is based on the stream and seats available. The academic fee will be disbursed directly by AICTE into the savings account of the students through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode and the maintenance fee will be uniformly distributed to the students in ten equal installments. The given below table will provide you detailed information about the scholarship rewards –
|Stream||Number of Seats/Scholarship||Academic Fee||Maintenance Charge|
|General Degree||2,070||Upto INR 30,000||INR 1 lakh*|
|Professional Degree||2,830||Upto INR 1.25 lakh||INR 1 lakh*|
|Medical Degree – MBBS/BDS or equivalent
|100||Upto INR 3 lakh||INR 1 lakh*|
|Total Number of Scholarships||5,000||–||–|
*To be disbursed in 10 equal installments.
PMSSS Scholarship – Selection Process
The students who wish to avail benefits under this PMSSS scholarship have to go through the following selection process –
- Application registration and submission – The student has to register first to apply for the scholarship. After successful registration, fill in all the required details in the application form and submit it.
- Document verification and choice filling – The applicant is required to get his/her documents verified at the nearest Facilitation Centre with the original documents and upload them on the portal of Facilitation Centre with stamp.
The choice filling window will be available for only those students who have successfully registered and got their documents verified at the Facilitation Centre.
Note - The merit list will be displayed subject to the declaration of result.
Online counselling and seat allocation confirmation –
- The process of allotment of the seats will be done through online counselling only.
- No admission will be allowed in any circumstances without participation in online counselling and colleges available for choice filling.
- List of Institutions / Universities where admissions offered would be prepared and will be displayed in applicant’s login for choice filling. Eligible applicants under the scheme are directed to choose the courses from these Institutions/ Universities only.
- “No Scholarship” will be paid to the applicants who take admission in other than the list of Institutions/ Universities available on the portal of AICTE except MBBS/ BDS /allied medicinal courses/Central/State Govt. for which supernumerary quota is not available.
- Merit list of candidates based on the marks obtained in CBSE/JKBOSE will be displayed well before the first round of counselling results.
PMSSS Scholarship – QnA
Who can apply for the PMSSS scholarship?
The students who are the domiciles of the UTs of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Ladakh are eligible. They must be pursuing a general, professional, or medical degree course at an AICTE recognized institution.
Is document verification at the Facilitation Centre mandatory?
Yes, document verification at the Facilitation Centre is necessary. The students who do not get the documents verification done will not be considered eligible for the PMSSS scholarship.
How can I register for the PMSSS scholarship?
To register for the PMSSS scholarship, a student needs to follow the listed below set of instructions –
Step 1: Visit the official AICTE portal.
Step 2: Scroll down the homepage and click on the PMSSS scholarship.
Step 3: Further click on the tab of A/Y 2020-21 and register yourself by following the given instructions.
Refer to the above article for detailed information.
What format or size of photo and signature must be uploaded on the AICTE portal for the PMSSS Scholarship?
Both photo & signature should be in .JPG /.PDF/.PNG format and the size of the file should be less than 2 MB.