New Delhi, 8 July 2022 – The state of Telangana has refused to become a part of the post matric scholarship scheme for scheduled caste students (PMS scheme for SC students). It is now the only state that has refused to partake in the post matric scholarship disbursal. This announcement came when the central government is gearing up to disburse INR 3,500 crore worth of scholarships to SC students around the country through the PMS scheme.
The state has declined to become a part of the scholarship scheme – despite several reminders and memos from the central government. The Telangana government has done so, as it does not agree with the revised guidelines of the post matric scholarship scheme that came out in 2021. Thus, for the disbursement of 2021-22, the state government has declined to partake.
PMS Scheme for SC Students – Overview
|Name of the Scholarship
|Post Matric Scholarship for SC Students
|Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India
|To provide financial assistance to SC students studying at post-matriculation/post-secondary levels and enable them to complete their education
|Who is Eligible?
|SC students of Class 11 and above
|Passed matriculation or higher secondary or any higher examination from a recognised university or board
PMS Scheme for SC Students – What is the Issue?
- Telangana is the only state that has refused to be part of the central PMS scheme.
- Central government is currently in the process of disbursing INR 3,500 crore to beneficiary students for 2021-22.
- Earlier, the scholarship money was disbursed to the institutions, which then disbursed that to the students.
- However, irregularities were found in the disbursement process and the central government decided to revamp the guidelines.
- Under the revised guidelines, the union ministry will reimburse the scholarship money directly to the students’ bank accounts.
- The southern state does not agree with this as it finds the revised 2021 guidelines unacceptable.
- Telangana insists that the money should be sent to “institutions” first, and then, these institutions will disburse it to the students.
- However, the Centre has refused to tweak the guidelines and views the new guidelines as the key to ending irregularities in the scheme.
Note: Recently, the central government has asked UGC and AICTE to ensure that the PMS scheme’s renewals must match the new registrations. Click here to know more!
What is the PMS scheme aimed towards?
The scheme is aimed towards helping SC students studying at post-matriculation/post-secondary levels with financial assistance and enabling them to complete their education.
Who can apply for the post matric scholarship scheme for SC students?
Scheduled Caste (SC) students studying in Class 11 and above can apply for the scholarship scheme.
When will the scholarship money be disbursed to the students?
The central government is in the process of disbursing INR 3,500 crore worth of post matric scholarship to SC students around the country. The money will be released soon and directly deposited in students’ bank accounts.