National Fellowship for OBC is a UGC fellowship scheme funded by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment under Government of India. This UGC fellowship is for the benefit of the candidates belonging to the Other Backward Classes (OBC). Under this National Fellowship for OBC, the unemployed OBC candidates are financially supported to undertake advanced studies and research leading to M.Phil. and PhD degrees in fields of Science, Humanities, Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology. A total of 300 candidates are awarded this UGC fellowship every year.
Now that you have a brief knowledge of National Fellowship for OBC, let’s read the complete information of this UGC fellowship. Here in this article, we have covered the award details, application timeline, eligibility conditions, application procedure and more. Before that, take a look at the highlights of this UGC fellowship.
Highlights of National Fellowship for OBC
|1.||Award details||Fellowship amount of up to INR 28,000 per month along with contingency grant and escorts/reader assistance for differently-abled candidates|
|4.||Application process||Through the official website of UGC|
* The application period mentioned above is tentative and subject to change as per the discretion of fellowship provider.
Now, read about National Fellowship for OBC in complete details as mentioned below.
National Fellowship for OBC – Award
This UGC fellowship offers financial assistance to a total of 300 candidates who are selected as per the eligibility criteria. Under the National Fellowship for OBC, the duration of the fellowship is 5 years which is divided into Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Senior Research Fellowship (SRF). The work of JRF is evaluated by a Committee of three members comprising of Head of the Department, Supervisor and one outside subject expert, and if the work is found satisfactory, the candidates’ tenure is extended further for a period of 3 years under the enhanced rewards of the SRF. Also, the fellowship amount is directly transferred into the awardees account through e-payment under DBT. Find the amount of the National Fellowship for OBC as paid to the selected candidates hereunder.
Award Detail of National Fellowship for OBC
|2.||Contingency grant for Humanities & Social Sciences students||
|3.||Contingency grant for Science and Engineering & Technology students||
|4.||Escorts/Reader assistance to physically & visually challenged candidates||INR 2,000 per month|
|5.||HRA||As per the norms of the Government of India|
National Fellowship for OBC – Application Period
The application period of the National Fellowship for OBC varies from every year. However, its application period generally ranges from the month of October to December. For the academic period of 2018-19, the application opened in the first week of October with the deadline falling in the last week of December. Also, the candidates wishing to avail the benefits of this UGC fellowship must keep in mind that the timeline mentioned here is tentative and may change as per the direction of the fellowship provider. Thereafter, the fellowship has not been announced.
National Fellowship for OBC – Eligibility Criteria
National Fellowship for OBC allows aspirants to pursue full-time M.Phil. or PhD degree programme without NET JRF of UGC or UGC-CSIR NET. Under this UGC fellowship scheme, 300 candidates are selected every year to receive financial benefits. Given below is the details about eligibility conditions that applicants need to fulfil in order to avail the benefits of this fellowship.
- The applicants must be unemployed and belong to the OBC category in order to be eligible for this UGC fellowship.
- The applicants must have passed the postgraduate examination.
- The applicants’ annual family income must not be more than INR 6 Lakh from all sources.
- The candidates must be registered for regular, full-time M.Phil./Ph.D. programme in the field of Science, Humanities, Social Science or Engineering & Technology from universities/colleges/institutions recognised by UGC, State/Central Government or institutes of national importance.
- Transgender candidates are also allowed to apply under this UGC fellowship. The reservation is provided as per the norms of the Government of India.
National Fellowship for OBC – Application Process
In order to make the application process easier and more efficient for applicants, UGC allows applicants to apply online through its official website. Follow the step by step guide given below to fill your application form of National Fellowship for OBC.
- First, the candidates need to visit the official UGC website and scroll down to click on the ‘view all’ tab of ‘Scholarship/Fellowships’ page. A list of scholarships and fellowships offered by UGC is displayed.
- Go to the category of ‘Fellowship’ and click on the ‘Apply Now’ button given under National Fellowship for OBC Candidate.
- The applicants need to read the instruction carefully and click on ‘Proceed for Registration’.
- Fill in the required details in the form to register. A registration ID is generated upon completing the registration process. The registration ID helps in downloading the PDF file of the completed application form once it is submitted.
- While filling the form, the applicants need to provide personal detail, contact information, academic details, institute’s detail, details of research work, etc. Other details like the Supervisor’s details, scholarship details and present employment are also required to be filled.
- Finally, the candidates must review the filled-in application form. Once satisfied, go to the declaration section. Read it carefully and click on ‘I agree’ to submit the application.
National Fellowship for OBC – Key Documents
There are a few important documents that the applicants must keep ready with them while applying for this UGC fellowship. Highlighted below is the list of the key documents that the candidates should have with them while filling the application form of National Fellowship for OBC.
- Applicant’s caste certificate
- Income certificate of the applicant’s parents, issued by the competent authority
- Applicant’s passport photograph (colour) and signature
- Mark sheet of master’s degree
- Certificate from Head of the Department/Institution stating that the necessary facilities will be provided by the College/University/Institution in case the candidates get selected for this fellowship
- Disability certificate in case the candidate is physically handicapped
National Fellowship for OBC – Selection Procedure
The candidates who receive this UGC fellowship are selected on the basis of merit and as per the procedure of the UGC. However, 3% of the total slots are reserved for Persons with Disability (PwD) who belong to the OBC category.
National Fellowship for OBC – Terms and Conditions
There are a few terms and conditions that the candidates must look out for if they wish to avail the benefits of this UGC fellowship. Find below the list of terms and conditions of National Fellowship for OBC candidates.
- Under this UGC fellowship, suitable single-seated hostel accommodations may be provided to the candidates in the institution.
- The awardee of the National Fellowship for OBC is liable for a maximum of 30 days of leave per year in addition to public holidays. They are also eligible for maternity/paternity leave as per the norms of the Government of India.
- The candidates must join the course within 3 months of award of the fellowship.
- Also, the candidates are required to submit a copy of their Award Letter and Joining Report along with a photo, address and contact number in the prescribed format to the designated branch of the bank.
- The selected candidates also need to submit a ‘Continuation Certificate’ every three months to the designated branch.
- The candidates also need to submit their progress report after the completion of one year of the fellowship to the UGC assigned branch.
National Fellowship for OBC – Contact Detail
In case of any query regarding National Fellowship for OBC, the applicants can submit their question at the email ID mentioned below:
Email ID – firstname.lastname@example.org
For more UGC scholarships/fellowships, read ‘UGC Scholarship – All You Need to Know’.