GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship initiated by the GEV Scholarship Fund Trust in the memory of the 13th Attorney General of India, Late Dr. Goolam E. Vahanvati. Started with the aim to provide financial assistance to meritorious students, this scholarship is for law aspirants who are pursuing legal education at undergraduate or postgraduate level. Under GEV memorial merit scholarship program, the selected candidates become eligible to get a scholarship amount of up to INR 2 Lakhs, receive guidance under top law professionals and several other benefits. Moreover, the students need to go through a selection process in order to avail the scholarship benefits.
Who are the candidates eligible for the GEV memorial merit scholarship? When and how can an eligible student apply for this law scholarship? What kind of benefits are disbursed under this scholarship program? The answers to all these questions have been covered in this article to arm students with the necessary information to secure funding for their law education.
Before we get into the details of GEV memorial merit scholarship, take a look at its overview as highlighted in the table given below.
GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship – An Overview
|1.||Scholarship name||GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship|
|2.||Provider info||GEV Scholarship Fund Trust|
|3.||Place of study||A recognised law institute in India|
|4.||Level of study||UG & PG level|
|5.||Scholarship amount||Up to INR 2 Lakhs|
|6.||Number of scholarships||Not specified|
|7.||Scholarship timeline*||April to August|
|8.||Application procedure||Online through Buddy4Study web portal|
* The scholarship timeline mentioned above is tentative and subject to change as per the discretion of the scholarship provider.
GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship – Application Period
The application period for this merit-based scholarship runs in two phases. While the first phase of application process ends in the month of May, the second phase application process ends in the month of August. Having the application process in two phases helps those students who may take the law entrance exams post the first deadline that falls in May. For more clarity, the timeline of this law scholarship for the year 2019 has been explained in the table given below.
Application Timeline of GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship
|1.||Opening date of application for GEV memorial merit scholarship||15 April 2019|
|2.||Phase-I deadline of the application||31 May 2019|
|3.||Phase-II deadline of the application||31 August 2019|
* The dates mentioned above may change as per the directive of the scholarship provider.
GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship – Eligibility
To be eligible to apply for this law scholarship, the interested candidates need to fulfil some eligibility conditions laid down by the scholarship provider. The candidates having displayed their merit as well as financial needs are considered eligible for this scholarship. Also, the students must be law aspirants pursuing law degrees from a recognised institution in India. Furthermore, the key eligibility conditions that a student needs to fulfil include –
- The aspiring candidates must be the citizens of India.
- The applicants must already be enrolled in any year of an LLB/LLM degree course at a recognised law institute/college/university in India. The candidates applying for the law entrance test CLAT/LSAT-India/AILET or any other such tests in 2019 are also eligible to apply for this law scholarship.
- The applicants must have obtained at least 60% marks in class 10 and 12 board exams.
- The candidates’ annual family income from all sources must not exceed INR 10 Lakhs.
- Also, the candidates must be willing to sign-up for scholarship fund’s annual mentorship programs to assist and nurture the next batches of GEV Merit Scholars.
GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship – Application Process
The application process of GEV memorial merit scholarship is quite easy and simple. The students need to complete their application process online, which prevents any hassle on their part. Given below is a step-by-step description of the application process of this law scholarship.
Step 1: As a first step, an applicant needs to visit the application page of GEV merit scholarship.
Step 2: Now, the applicant needs to register himself/herself with Buddy4Study by creating a Buddy4Study account using Facebook/Google Plus/Email account and then, login to the application page.
Step 3: After logging in, the candidate needs to select the category which is law and then, click on the ‘Start Application’ button which takes the student to the application form.
Step 4: The applicants must fill all the necessary details in the application form and upload the required documents to complete the form.
Step 5: After making sure that the information filled in the form is correct, the student must submit the scholarship application form.
Note: Upon the successful submission of the application form, the applicants receive a confirmation email/SMS on their registered email id or mobile number. The applicants can also track the status of their application by logging into their account.
Key Documents to be Submitted with the Application Form
There are a few important documents that candidates need to upload while filling the scholarship application form. Find below the list of important documents to be submitted with the form to complete it.
- Copies of mark sheets (each qualifying exam from Secondary School Certificate examination to latest qualification)
- Copy of letter of admission to the Law school where the applicant is enrolled or intends to undertake law studies
- Income proof (Salary statement, IT returns) of applicant’s parents
- Copy of latest CLAT/LSAT-India/AILET/other law entrance test results
- Applicant’s passport size photo
- Scanned copy of applicant’s Aadhar Card
GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship – Award Details
Under this merit-based scholarship, the successful candidates are awarded financial assistance which covers the yearly tuition fees and other academic expenses of the students. Given below is a detailed description of the rewards that each scholar receives through this scholarship.
- The selected students become eligible to receive a scholarship amount of INR 50,000 to INR 2 Lakhs per year towards payment of tuition fees and other academic expenses.
- The candidates must keep in mind that the subsequent scholarship instalment will be given on the basis of the student’s academic performance.
- The scholars of this scholarship are also eligible to receive mentoring from top law professionals and GEV scholars.
- The students also get exposure among the Judiciary Community of India from events/interactions organised under the mentorship program.
GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship – Selection Process
Under the selection process of this law scholarship, all the applications submitted by the applicants are reviewed and shortlisted on the basis of eligibility criteria of the GEV merit scholarship. Highlighted below are the steps of the selection process.
- After being shortlisted, the candidates need to go through the telephonic round of interview and document verification.
- After successfully completing the telephonic round, the shortlisted candidates need to appear for personal interview (PI) conducted by the selection panel of the GEV memorial merit scholarship.
- Final list of successful candidates will be released after the PI who will receive the stipulated scholarship amount as per their merit and need to complete their law degree.
GEV Memorial Merit Scholarship – Contact Details
In case of any further query regarding the GEV scholarship, the applicants can contact through email to Dr. Goolam E. Vahanvati Scholarship Fund.
Email Id: email@example.com
Address: Dr. Goolam E. Vahanvati Scholarship Fund
115, 11th Floor, Maker Chambers VI,
Nariman Point Mumbai 400 021.