Sanskrit scholarship, offered by the Government of India through Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan (Deemed University), now known as Central Sanskrit University aims to promote and propagate Sanskrit language and literature in the country. The Sanskrit scholarship awards a monthly scholarship amount of up to INR 2,500 to those students of Class 9 to 12, graduation, post-graduation and PhD who are studying Sanskrit as a main or optional subject. Also, the number of Sanskrit scholarships disbursed among deserving candidates depends upon the availability of funds.
In this article, we have covered all the important details about Sanskrit scholarship. These details include the application period of the scholarship, rewards, eligibility conditions, application process and more. Find a brief overview of these details in the table given below.
- Sanskrit Scholarship – Application Period
- Sanskrit Scholarship – Rewards
- Sanskrit Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
- Sanskrit Scholarship – Application Process
- Sanskrit Scholarship – Key Documents
Overview of Sanskrit Scholarship
|1.||Application period*||December to April|
|2.||Rewards||A scholarship amount of up to INR 2,500 per month|
|3.||Eligibility criteria||Class 9 to 12, UG, PG and PhD students studying Sanskrit as a main or optional subject|
|4.||Application process||Online application through the official website of Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan|
Now, read the complete details of Sanskrit scholarship as mentioned below.
Sanskrit Scholarship – Application Period
Initiated with the objective to promote Sanskrit language and literature among Indian students, the application for Sanskrit scholarship is generally announced in the month of July or August every year through advertisement in popular newspapers across the country. However, for the academic year 2020-21, the scholarship was active during the months of December to April. The closing date of Sanskrit scholarship 2020-21 was extended till 25th April 2021.
Sanskrit Scholarship – Rewards
The students are selected for Sanskrit scholarship on the basis of merit. These selected candidates become eligible to avail financial benefits under this scholarship scheme. Find below the complete details of the scholarship amount disbursed among the selected candidates of this merit scholarship.
Award Details of Sanskrit Scholarship
|1.||Students of class 9 and 10||INR 500 per month for a period of 10 months|
|2.||Students of class 11 and 12||INR 600 per month for a period of 10 months|
|3.||Shastri/Graduation/B.A./B.A.(Hons.) or an equivalent course of three years duration||INR 800 per month for a period of 10 months|
|4.||Acharya/M.A. in Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit or equivalent postgraduation degree||INR 1,000 per month for a duration of 10 months|
|5.||Vidyavaridhi/PhD or equivalent||INR 2,500 per month for 12 months along with a contingency grant of INR 5,000 per annum for two years|
Sanskrit Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
In order to be eligible for Sanskrit scholarship, the applicants must fulfil certain eligibility conditions. One of the most important of these conditions is that the applicants must be regular students pursuing Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as their main or optional subject from any recognised Sanskrit Pathashala/ Sanskrit Mahavidyalaya/ Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya in the traditional stream or School/College/University in the modern stream. Highlighted below are the complete details about the eligibility conditions of Sanskrit scholarship that a candidate must fulfil to avail scholarship benefits.
Eligibility Criteria of Sanskrit Scholarship
|S.No.||Course of study||Eligibility Criteria|
|1.||Students of Class 9 and 10 or Purva-Madhyama or equivalent studying Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as a paper of at least 100 marks|
|2.||Students of Class 11 and 12 or Uttar-Madhyama/Prakshastri or equivalent studying Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as a paper of at least 100 marks|
|3.||Students pursuing graduation/Shastri or equivalent with Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit as a subject of at least 100 marks|
|4.||Students pursuing MA in Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit or Acharya or equivalent postgraduate degree|
|5.||Students studying Vidyavaridhi or PhD in Sanskrit/Pali/Prakrit|
Besides the above-mentioned eligibility criteria, the candidates belonging to reserved categories are eligible for marks relaxation. The minimum percentage of marks for OBC students is 55%, 50% for SC/ST and PH candidates.
Sanskrit Scholarship – Application Process
Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan allows applicants to apply online for the Sanskrit scholarship through their official portal. Given below are the steps that are required to apply for the scholarship.
- First, the candidates need to visit the home page of Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan and click on ‘Schemes’ under which ‘Scholarship Scheme’ is listed. The candidates need to click on it to visit the scholarship page.
- Now, the candidates need to click on ‘On-line applications’ mentioned as the second point. The applicants are taken to a new page where guidelines, registration of institutes, etc. are given.
- The applicants need to read the instruction carefully and make sure that their institutes are registered for the scholarship scheme.
- After making sure that the details of the registered institutions have been activated by Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, the applicants can apply for this scholarship by filling in all the required details.
- Finally, the applicants must upload the scanned copies of all the necessary documents and submit their application form.
Sanskrit Scholarship – Key Documents
There are a few important documents that the candidates need to upload while filling their scholarship application form. So, the applicants must keep the scanned copies of all the necessary documents with them. Highlighted below is the list of required documents for this scholarship.
- Relevant mark sheet
- The first page of the bank passbook (having details along with the applicant’s photograph) must be in the name of the applicant
- Applicant’s Aadhaar card
- Caste/Category certificate in case the candidate belongs to any reserved category