New Delhi, November 9, 2022 – IIT Madras and Sutherland Collaboration – The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT Madras) has collaborated with Sutherland to provide financial support to 10,000 students to upgrade their skills and knowledge in advanced technology. The initiative aims to support students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
It is also helping selected students to get scholarships. With the scholarship programmes, selected students are eligible to get their NPTEL online course certificates at a reduced cost.
The initiative is a part of the Corporate Citizens programme of Sutherland. This programme is helping selected students receive certificates in online courses of the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) for the semester of January 2022.
IIT Madras and Sutherland Collaboration – Overview
|Initiative Taken By
|IIT Madras and Sutherland
|Initiative Taken For
|Students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds
|Corporate Citizens programme of Sutherland
|Mode of Courses
IIT Madras and Sutherland Collaboration – Aims
- The collaborative approach of the Indian institute of technology Madras and Sutherland aims at providing financial support to 10,000 students from economically weak backgrounds.
- The initiative also focuses on providing scholarships to selected students to reduce the cost of NPTEL online course certificates by 50 per cent.
- These selected students will also be able to obtain certificates in the online courses of the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL).
IIT Madras and Sutherland Collaboration – NPTEL Courses Details
- The duration of NPTEL courses is four, eight and twelve weeks.
- There is no upper age, gender, or any other criteria to enrol for these courses. Anyone interested in joining can do so at no cost.
- Learners are required to watch videos online and submit weekly assignments to assess their progress in learning and understanding.
- The learner can also opt to take an in-person, proctored examination at the end of each online course.
- By taking this examination, the learners will be able to get a certificate for the course.
- Students need to pay INR 1,000 for each online course in NPTEL to obtain a certificate.
IIT Madras and Sutherland Collaboration – NPTEL Courses’ Purposes
- Internal official sources have mentioned that this initiative will help first-generation learners receive NPTEL certification.
- The purpose of this initiative is to provide chances to improve the employability of many students and faculty. They also get a chance to upskill themselves with new and improved technologies and skills.
- It also focuses on creating future leaders by committing to developing talent and enabling digital transformation.
IIT Madras and Sutherland Collaboration – Other Important Details
- The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) is a collaborative initiative of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-Madras) and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) under the Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India.
- NPTEL is working with 5,000 colleges across India that include arts, engineering, science, commerce, and management.
- More than 600 courses are offered for certification each semester.
- These are available on the national portal of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) – swayam.gov.in
- The courses are available in various engineering disciplines, management, sciences, and humanities.
- It aims to provide learners with relevant exposure to the updated and latest technologies and tools.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How many students will benefit from the collaboration between Sutherland and IIT-Madras?
10,000 students will benefit from the collaboration between Sutherland and IIT-Madras to get financial support for higher education.
What is the aim of the IIT Madras and Sutherland collaboration?
IIT Madras and Sutherland collaborated to provide financial support to students from economically weaker sections to facilitate certification courses. It will help them learn new skills and technologies.
Is there any fee incurred for the certification courses offered by NPTEL?
There is no enrolment fee for students. However, to obtain a certificate, students need to appear for an in-person and proctored examination that charges INR 1,000 for each course.