DigiLocker is the initiative of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) under the Digital India programme. It is a technology-enabled platform where citizens can get authentic documents/certificates in digital format from the original issuers of these certificates.
It is also designed to store, share, and authenticate various official documents and certificates securely. It is a cloud-based platform that is accessible both on Android and iOS devices, DigiLocker empowers users to access their documents digitally anytime and anywhere as required. Each account has 1GB of storage space to upload scanned copies of documents.
As for individuals, DigiLocker and Aadhaar is going to serve as a ‘foundational identity,’ from where changes in address or identity will be reflected across other platforms. Currently, updating one’s Aadhaar doesn’t, for example, update the address on their Income Tax portal registration.
This was announced by the Finance Minister Nirmala while presenting the Union Budget 2023–24. This potentially implies that the government is working on mechanisms to synchronise data of the citizens available across multiple portals when just the Aadhaar is updated. Official documents that can be stored digitally include a broad range.
Furthermore, the platform allows users to store and access health records associated with ABHA (Ayushman Bharat Health Account) through the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) scheme.
DigiLocker as a platform aims to empower citizens digitally by granting them access to authentic digital documents via their digital document wallets. Access to DigiLocker platform is available on the following weblinks:
Key Benefits of DigiLocker
DigiLocker is a government-backed digital platform in India that offers a range of benefits to users. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Document Storage and Access: DigiLocker allows users to store and access their digital documents securely. It provides a centralised repository for various documents, including academic certificates, identity proofs, and government-issued documents. Types of documents users can store on DigiLocker are as follows among others:
- Aadhaar Cards
- PAN Cards
- Driving Licence
- Vehicle Registration Certificates
- Birth Certificates
- Certificates of Academic Qualifications
- Documents of Health Records
- Voter ID
- School and College Certificates
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Documents and Certificates Issued by Various Government Bodies etc.
- Paperless and Eco-Friendly: DigiLocker platform contributes to reduction of paper usage by digitising documents. This aligns with environmental conservation efforts promoting a sustainable and eco-friendly approach to document management.
- Convenient Access Anytime, Anywhere: Users can access their documents stored in DigiLocker anytime and from anywhere with an internet connection. This convenience is particularly useful for various application processes including job interviews, government services, and educational institutions.
- Access to Government-issued Documents: DigiLocker integrates with various government departments and agencies, allowing users to access and share official documents issued by these entities. This facilitates seamless interactions with government services while reducing the need for physical document submissions.
- Digital Signatures: DigiLocker supports digital signatures, making it possible for users to sign documents electronically. This feature enhances the authenticity and legality of digitally signed documents.
- Secure and Encrypted: DigiLocker employs advanced security measures to protect the privacy and integrity of stored documents. It uses encryption technology to ensure that the user-sensitive information remains secure.
- Reduction in Documents Related Fraud: The digital nature of DigiLocker helps minimise the risk of fraud committed in data present in the documents. Digital documents are more challenging to manipulate or forge than their physical counterparts. This enhances the authenticity of documents.
- Integration with Services: DigiLocker integrates with various government services and platforms, making it easier for users to provide necessary documents for different applications, such as applying for government jobs or availing benefits under government schemes and programmes.
- User-friendly Interface: The platform is designed to be user-friendly, with an intuitive interface that makes it easy for users to upload, access, and share their documents effortlessly.
How to Set Up a DigiLocker Account Online?
Creating a DigiLocker account is a simple and straightforward process. Users are directed to follow the steps provided below:
Step 1. Visit the DigiLocker Website: Navigate to the official DigiLocker website on the following weblink digilocker.gov.in.
Step 2. Sign Up: Visitors need to locate and click on the ‘Sign Up’ button to initiate the registration process.
Step 3. Provide Your Details: Users need to enter their full name, date of birth, mobile number, gender, email ID, and six-digit security pin during the process of registration.
Step 4. Verify Mobile Number: A one-time password (OTP) is generated and sent to the provided mobile number for the purpose of verification.
Step 5. Verify Aadhaar: Users must verify their Aadhaar number in order to avail the multiple features available on their DigiLocker account.
Step 6. Enter OTP: Six-digit OTP received on the mobile phone must be entered in order to complete the verification process.
Step 7. Create a Username and Password: After verification, a unique username and password must be generated to secure the DigiLocker account.
Step 8. Access Your DigiLocker: Once the registration process is complete, registered users should log in to their DigiLocker account using the designated username and password.
How to Store Documents in DigiLocker?
Step 1. Log in to Your DigiLocker Account: Interested visitors can begin by logging in to their DigiLocker account using the right credentials.
Step 2. Access Your Issued Documents: If the users have stored their documents previously, they need to click on the ‘Issued Documents’ button to review those.
Step 3. Upload New Documents: Users need to click on the ‘Search Documents’ button feature to store new documents.
Step 4. Select Document Type and Issuing Authority: Users need to select the document type they wish to store, such as ‘Driving Licence’. They are prompted to select the relevant motor vehicle department of the State that issued the driving licence.
Step 5. Provide Necessary Information: Once the users have selected the issuing authority, DigiLocker will automatically retrieve the name from their Aadhaar card including the date of birth. They need to enter the driver’s licence number and click the ‘Get Document’ button to proceed.
Step 6. Submit Your Request: Once the request of the user is submitted, they receive confirmation from the issuer after approval. Document gets reflected in the DigiLocker account after approval. And hereafter they are accessible anytime and anywhere.
Drive: Users can also upload their documents directly to DigiLocker using the ‘Drive’ section of the platform.
DigiLocker – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What are the key components of DigiLocker?
- Home: This serves as the central hub of your DigiLocker account, providing access to various sections of the platform. Additionally, it offers a summary of issued documents and a link to obtain documents from partnered organisations integrated with डिजिटल लॉकर.
- Issued Documents: In this section, you’ll find a list of Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs). They are the links to digital documents or certificates issued by government departments or agencies that are integrated with DigiLocker.
- DigiLocker Drive: This section displays all documents uploaded by the user. One can manage these documents, update their types, and share them as needed.
- Activity: This log keeps a track of all your actions within the DigiLocker account, including file uploads, downloads, and activities related to sharing.
- Browse Documents: In this section users can find the list of departments and agencies registered with DigiLocker as issuers. Any documents or certificates issued to a user by these departments will appear as URIs (links) in the Issued Documents section.
Q. What are the security features that are implemented in DigiLocker? Is it safe to put my data on the DigiLocker platform?
DigiLocker prioritises the safety and security features of user data through various measures. They are as under:
- Standard Practices: DigiLocker adheres to stringent coding standards, guidelines, and internal reviews before deployment of updates.
- 2048 Bit RSA SSL Encryption: All information transmitted during the activities pursued on DigiLocker is protected using 2048-bit secure socket layer (SSL) encryption.
- Multi Factor Authentication: Users are required to undergo a multi-factor authentication process during sign up and sign in. This ensures a secured access to the platform.
- ISO 27001 Certified Data Hosting: The platform incorporates ISO 27001 security-certified data hosting facilities.
- Data Redundancy: User data is backed up in secure environments with multi-zone redundancy. Multi-zone redundancy eliminates dependencies on infrastructure that is shared across availability zones.
- Timed Log Out: To prevent unauthorised access, sessions are automatically terminated after a period of inactivity.
- Security Audit: DigiLocker undergoes regular audits by CERT-In Empanelled Information Security Auditing Organisations.
- User Consent-Based System: Data from DigiLocker is shared only with explicit user consent, with all sharing and access activities logged and conveyed to the user. Organisations seeking access to user certificates must register on डिजिटल लॉकर and obtain explicit consent from the user.
Q. I wish to link Aadhaar with my DigiLocker, but my mobile number is not updated in my Aadhaar. How can I get this done?
To link your mobile number with Aadhaar, please visit the nearest Aadhaar Kendra. You can find a list of Aadhaar enrollment centres by clicking on the following link: List of Aadhaar enrollment centres.
Q. I am waiting for the one-time password (OTP), but I have not received it for more than 5 minutes. What should I do?
While using डिजिटल लॉकर, OTPs are typically sent instantaneously. If you haven’t received the OTP after 5 minutes, there may be temporary issues either with the web servers or the delivery of SMS by the mobile service provider. You are recommended to wait for a few minutes more and attempt again.
Q. I am a Non-Resident Indian (NRI), can I sign up using a foreign mobile number?
No, registration in DigiLocker is only possible using a mobile number registered in India.
Q. I am frequently getting the error message ‘Aadhaar already registered’ during the process of e-KYC, what should I do?
It may be a case that your Aadhaar number is already registered with DigiLocker and you are trying to link the Aadhaar number again with your non-Aadhaar account. Please try to login into your डिजिटल लॉकर account by entering your Aadhaar number. You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number and submit the OTP. In case of issues persisting further, the users can write to the concerned authorities with a screenshot of the error.
Q. What are issued documents and uploaded documents?
Issued documents are nothing but electronic format of the documents issued or e-documents issued by various government agencies in electronic format directly from the original data source and the link of these documents is available in the issued documents section of DigiLocker. Uploaded documents on the other hand are those documents that are uploaded directly by the users of the डिजिटल लॉकर platform.