NSP Scholarship Scheme – The Directorate of Social Welfare, Ministry of Labour and Employment, offers financial support to the students of Class 1 to 10, who are wards of the following categories of workers:
- Beedi Industry
- Iron Ore, Manganese Ore & Chrome Ore Mines (IOMC)
- Limestone and Dolomite Mines (LSDM)
- Mica Mines
- Cine Workers
Under this initiative, selected candidates will be provided with scholarship support up to ₹2,000 per annum.
Detailed understanding of this scholarship program in terms of its application process, eligibility, documentation, and other useful information is available hereafter.
National Scholarship Portal (NSP) Scheme – An Overview
|Name of the Scholarship||Financial Assistance for Education to the Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers – Pre-Matric|
|Provided By||Ministry of Labour & Employment, GOI|
|Beneficiaries||Students of Class 1 to 10|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Last Date to Apply||31 December 2023|
National Scholarship Portal (NSP) Scholarship Scheme 2023-24
- Parental Employment: At least one of the parents of the ward or the student should be employed as a worker in the Beedi industry, Iron Ore, Manganese Ore and Chrome Ore Mines, Limestone and Dolomite Mines, or as a Cine worker, with a minimum of six months of service. This also includes Contract/Gharkhata (Home-based) workers.
- Income Limit: The total monthly income of the worker’s family from all sources should not exceed a certain limit. It depends on the specific categories of the workers:
- Beedi Workers: ₹10,000
- Mine Workers: Mine workers doing manual, unskilled, highly skilled and clerical
work are eligible for availing all facilities under different welfare schemes of the Labour Welfare Organisation irrespective of the wages paid to them
- Supervisory and Managerial Employees: Such employees are eligible if their wage does not exceed ₹10,000 per month.
- Cine Workers: Cine workers are eligible for this scholarship if they earn an amount not exceeding ₹8,000 per month when paid monthly, or an amount not exceeding ₹1,00,000 when paid as lumpsum, instalments as remuneration.
- Academic Qualifications: Applicants must have passed their last qualifying examination in their first attempt. Students who have been promoted to the next class are also eligible to apply.
- Study Mode: Scholars pursuing studies through correspondence are not eligible.
- Course and Institution: Candidates must have taken regular admission at a recognised institution in India, pursuing courses in general or technical education at the pre-matric level.
- No Double Scholarship: Students who are already a recipient of scholarship or stipend from other sources may not be eligible for this scheme.
- Bank Account: Each pre-matric student should have a separate bank account, and in case of a joint account, the first name should be that of the candidate.
- Mobile Number: Students must provide a separate mobile number.
NSP Scholarship Scheme – Important Information
Scholarship recipients should be aware that the scholarship can be discontinued under the following circumstances:
- False Statements: If the student is found to have obtained the scholarship by providing false or misleading information.
- Discontinuation of Studies: If a student discontinues their studies, the scholarship will be stopped from the date of discontinuance.
- Change of Subject or Institution: If the scholar changes the subject of the course of study for which the scholarship was originally awarded or switches to a different academic institution without obtaining prior approval from the Welfare Commissioner.
- Academic Performance and Conduct: If the scholar fails to make satisfactory progress in their studies, or he is irregular in attendance, or found guilty of misconduct during the academic year for which the scholarship has been granted.
- Parental Employment: If the parent(s) of the scholar ceases to be a Beedi, Mine, or Cine worker.
- If there is more than one child/ward of the same worker applying for the scholarship program, each child should provide a separate bank account number. This ensures that each child’s scholarship funds are deposited into their individual bank accounts. This helps maintain transparency. This also ensures that each eligible child receives their due scholarship benefits independently.
Note:- It’s important to note that if any of the above conditions are found to be applicable after the scholarship amount has been disbursed to the scholar, the scholarship amount will be recovered from the scholar or their parents. Therefore, scholarship recipients must adhere to the scholarship’s terms and conditions to maintain their eligibility and continue receiving financial support.
NSP Scholarship Scheme – Awards
The competent authority has approved the revision of scholarship rates under the ‘Financial Assistance for Education to the Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers with effect from the Academic Year 2023-24. The revised rates are as follows:
|Class||Scholarship Amount (₹)|
|Class 1-4||₹1000 (For Dress/Books etc.)|
NSP Scholarship Scheme – Documents Required
To apply for the scholarship program ‘Financial Assistance for Education to the Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers, the following documents are required:
- Photograph: Recent passport-sized photograph of the applicant
- Copy of the Identity Card of the Worker: For Beedi, LSDM and Cine workers, a copy of the identity card should be provided.
- In the case of Mine workers, the Form B Register Number should be submitted.
- Copy of the Front Page of the Bank Passbook or Cancelled Cheque: Copy of the front page of the Bank Passbook or Cancelled Cheque should contain details of the account holder/beneficiary. It will be used for disbursal of scholarship funds.
- Passing Certificate/Mark Sheet of Previous Academic Year: Documents showing the student’s academic performance in the previous academic year.
- Income Certificate: Income certificate issued by the Revenue Authority, verifying the family’s total income from all sources will be used to determine eligibility based on income limit criteria.
Note:- Applicants should ensure that they provide accurate and complete copies of these documents while applying for the scholarship.
NSP Scholarship Scheme – Application Process
Detailed information on the steps for filling out the application form for the NSP Financial Assistance Scheme for the Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers – Pre-Matric is as follows:
1. Registration as New Users:
- Prepare soft copies (electronic copy) of the required documents.
- Visit the official scholarship portal: scholarships.gov.in.
- Click on “New Registration“.
- Read and understand the guidelines for registration.
- Scroll to the bottom and read the undertaking carefully.
- Accept the terms by checking the appropriate box.
- Click on “Continue“.
- A registration form will appear. It should be noted that the fields marked with * are compulsory.
- Fill in all the required details.
- Click on “Register”.
- The application ID and password will be displayed on the screen.
- The same information will be sent as an SMS to the registered mobile number.
2. Logging in to National Scholarship Portal (NSP):
- After registration, applicants must log in to the NSP portal using the newly generated ID and password.
- An OTP (One-Time Password) will be sent to the registered mobile number, which must be used to change the password.
- Enter the application ID and the password.
- Type the Captcha as shown.
- Click on the “Login” tab.
- Provide the OTP received on the registered mobile number.
- Candidates will be directed to the “Applicant’s Dashboard.”
3. Accessing the Application Form:
- On this page, applicants should click on ‘Application Form’ to initiate the application process.
4. Providing Details:
- Applicants should furnish all the necessary information, including details on registration, academic qualification, basic details on contact, and scheme.
5. Document Upload:
- All supporting documents that verify identity and academic eligibility should be uploaded by the applicants.
6. Saving as Draft:
- It is advisable to save the filled-in application form as a draft.
- This allows applicants to review every detail and ensure accuracy before submission.
6. Final Submission:
- To complete the scholarship application process, applicants should click on the ‘Submit’ button after having reviewed the application form.
NSP Scholarship Scheme – FAQs
What is the NSP Financial Assistance Scheme for Wards of Beedi/Cine/IOMC/LSDM Workers – Pre-Matric?
This is a pre-matric scholarship scheme aimed at providing financial assistance to the children/wards of the Beedi, Cine, Iron Ore, Manganese Ore & Chrome Ore Mines (IOMC), and Limestone and Dolomite Mines workers (LSDM) for their pre-matric education.
Where can one get more information or assistance with the application process?
For detailed information and assistance with the application process, candidates can visit the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) or contact the authorities administering scholarship programs in the state.
Does one need to complete the application in one attempt?
No, the applicant can apply and complete the application process in multiple attempts. They can save the application as a draft and continue later. However, applicants must complete the application process before the last date.
What should be the type and size of the documents to be uploaded?
Required format should be a pdf or jpeg file. The size of each document should not exceed 200 KB.
Can students, who have been promoted to the next class, apply for the scholarship?
Yes, students who are promoted to the next class can apply for the scholarship program, provided they meet other eligibility criteria.
Are students pursuing studies through correspondence eligible for this scholarship?
No, students pursuing their studies through correspondence programs are not eligible for this scholarship.
Which type of courses are eligible for the post-matric scholarship?
Candidates pursuing courses on general or technical education, including medical, engineering, and agricultural studies, at recognised institutions in India are eligible. However, some specific categories of students are not eligible.
Who is not eligible to apply for the NSP post-matric scholarship?
Students who are pursuing their studies at the same level of education in a different subject, for example pursuing B.Sc. after B.Com. or pursuing B.Com. after B.A. or those who have switched from one professional discipline to another (e.g., L.L.B. after B.T. or B.Ed.) are not eligible for this scholarship.
Which type of educational institutions are recognised for the NSP Pre-Matric scholarship?
The educational institution must be recognised by the Government of India in order to consider the applicants eligible under the NSP Pre-Matric scholarship program.