The National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET) was established as a regulatory body by the Government of India on December 5, 2018. It has been fully operational since August 1, 2020. It has emerged as a beacon of hope for students seeking a career path that prioritises hands-on skill-based training providing practical experience. NCVET is an apex regulatory body that plays a crucial role in regulating and developing Vocational Education and Training (VET) programmes across India. It serves as an overarching national regulator with the aim of setting standards. It develops a comprehensive regulatory framework and improves the vocational education, training, and skilling ecosystem. Overall, NCVET bridges the gap between academic learning and skill-based employable competencies.
Unlike universities focused on theoretical knowledge, NCVET prioritises practical application and hands-on training. Young Indians can build their professional foundation brick by brick, where each program is meticulously designed to equip learners with the tools and expertise required in ever-evolving dynamic industries. Whether one harbours a passion for technology, envisions a future in healthcare, or dreams about contributing to infrastructure development, NCVET holds the key to unlocking the potential of a capable workforce.
Beyond these advantages, NCVET programmes offer unparalleled flexibility, catering to individuals seeking full-time, part-time, or distance learning programmes. Recognising the financial constraints faced by many students, NCVET offers numerous scholarship programmes and financial aid schemes to ensure accessibility and inclusivity.
NCVET’s mission revolves around integrating the fragmented regulatory system and infusing quality assurance across the entire vocational education, training, and skilling value chain. It aims to facilitate the availability of highly skilled manpower, improving employability prospects and contributing to the accelerated growth of the Indian economy. The mission involves several key objectives. They are as follows:
- Developing industry-aligned skill development programs: NCVET actively collaborates with industry experts and stakeholders to ensure that the training programmes equip students with required skills that are in high demand and directly translate to generation of employment opportunities.
- Recognising and monitoring training providers and awarding bodies: The council maintains an accreditation process to guarantee the quality and credibility of training institutions and the certifications they offer. This fosters trust and credibility of the skills and competencies acquired by the NCVET graduates.
- Ensuring quality assurance across the VET sector: NCVET implements robust quality assurance mechanisms to maintain consistent standards across all affiliated training programmes and awarding bodies. This benefits students by guaranteeing the value and employability aspects of their acquired qualifications.
The National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET) has been entrusted with the following mandates. They are outlined below:
Recognition and Regulation: NCVET recognises as well as de-recognises, ensuring conduct of discipline among the following bodies:
- Awarding Bodies (ABs)
- Assessment Agencies (AAs)
- Skill-related Information Providers (SIPs)
- Establishing regulations and guidelines for Skill Universities as Awarding Bodies (ABs) and Assessment Agencies (AAs) in consultation with the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
- Developing guidelines for indirect regulation of vocational training institutes through Awarding Bodies (ABs).
National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF): NSQF framework includes the following:
- Organising qualifications based on levels of knowledge, skills, and competencies
- Maintaining the National Qualification Register (NQR) as a repository for all qualifications aligned to the NSQF.
- Approving NSQF-aligned qualifications and National Occupational Standards (NOSs) developed by Awarding Bodies (ABs), including Sector Skill Councils (SSCs).
Monitoring and Evaluation: NCVET monitors, evaluates, and supervises the recognised entities, ensuring compliance with regulations and quality standards.
Research and Information Dissemination: NCVET conducts research in the field of vocational education and training, and disseminates relevant information to stakeholders.
Grievance Redressal: Last but not the least NCVET also addresses complaints and grievances raised by various stakeholders with regard to vocational education and training.
NCVET: Benefits for Students
For students seeking a fulfilling career, NCVET has various advantages:
- Diverse Programme Portfolio: Students can explore a wide range of vocational training programmes encompassing various sectors like information technology, healthcare, construction, and many more. This diversity allows individuals to find suitable and matching skill-based programmes that align with their interests, aptitudes, and career aspirations.
- Industry-relevant Skill Acquisition: Unlike traditional academic courses, NCVET programmes prioritise development of practical skills and knowledge that are directly applicable to the chosen industry. Aligned and skill-based hands-on approach ensures that graduates are readily employable.
- Globally Recognised Certifications: NCVET certifications hold value not only within India but also internationally. It enhances the employability prospects of graduates beyond geographical boundaries. This opens doors to exciting career opportunities available across the globe.
- Scholarship and Financial Support: To ensure accessibility, NCVET offers several scholarship programmes and financial aid schemes meant to support students throughout their journey in pursuing vocational education. This eliminates financial barriers and empowers individuals hailing from diverse backgrounds in pursuit of their desired career paths.
- Entrepreneurial Skilling: NCVET empowers students with the necessary skills while generating confidence to embark on their entrepreneurial journey through dedicated entrepreneurship development programmes. This fosters innovation, self-reliance, and creates job opportunities.
- Flexible Learning Options: Recognising individual needs and preferences, NCVET offers a variety of learning modes, including full-time, part-time, and distance learning programmes. This imparts flexibility and allows students to pursue their education while making vocational training accessible to a wider population.
- On-the-Job Training: Several NCVET programmes integrate practical training with industry partners, providing students with invaluable real-world experience. This exposure helps in application of theoretical knowledge in a practical setting, develop essential soft skills, and gain valuable industry insights before entering the workforce.
- Continuous Skill Upgradation: The ever-evolving nature of industries necessitates constant acquisition of new skill sets. NCVET recognises this need and emphasises continuous skill upgradation and upskilling opportunities for its graduates for sustained relevance.
To visit the official website of the National Council for Vocational Education and Training (NCVET), please click here!
What is NCVET, and how does it benefit me?
NCVET is the National Council for Vocational Education and Training, established to regulate and develop vocational training programs in India. It benefits the learner by offering industry-aligned skills, job-ready certifications, and increased employability prospects compared to traditional degrees.
What kind of programmes does NCVET offer?
NCVET offers a diverse range of skill-based programmes across various sectors like IT, healthcare, construction, engineering, and more. Learners can explore certificates, diplomas, and advanced diplomas based on their interests and goals.
Are NCVET-accredited programmes recognised by employers?
Yes, NCVET certifications are recognised and valued by employers across the globe including India. These certifications approve acquisition of practical skills and industry-readiness of the candidate.
Can I pursue NCVET accredited programmes while working or studying?
Absolutely! NCVET offers flexible learning modes like full-time, part-time, and distance learning programmes, allowing the candidates to balance their priorities.
How can I verify the authenticity of an NCVET certificate?
NCVET issues unique registration numbers for each certificate. Candidates as well as the employers can verify the authenticity by visiting the NCVET website or connecting with the institute.