Moshi Moshi! Konnichiwa! What do these words mean? These are the Japanese terms for ‘Hello’ and ‘Good Day’. Isn’t it fun to learn such new Japanese words? Yes, of course. With a new language to learn, Japan also offers several other reasons for students worldwide to study there. Known for its exquisite cultural heritage and high-end educational standards, Japan houses over 700 universities that open an unparalleled opportunity for students to live and explore a different work culture.
Are you interested to explore the beautiful Japanese culture and pursue higher studies there? If yes, then you need to know everything about the place including its top universities, availability of scholarship opportunities, admission procedure, documents checklist, visa requirements etc.
Download FREE e-Book Now – Top Scholarships for Study Abroad
Top universities in Japan to look for
To begin your journey of studying abroad in Japan, you primarily need to have an offer of acceptance from a Japanese University. Who are the leading universities in Japan? Which is the best university for admission to the course of your choice? These are some of the common questions that you may come across while looking for a suitable university. To ease out your burden, here is a list of some of the top universities in Japan that you may apply to–
- University of Tokyo
- Kyoto University
- Osaka University
- Tohoku University
- Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Kyushu University
Cost of study in Japan
Though the tuition fee and other expenses of study may vary from institution to institution in Japan, the students have to bear a nominal fee structure only. On an average, the cost of living in Japan, including the tuition fee, may come around 138,000 Yen. To do away with your expenses of living there, you may get significant contribution through scholarships offered by the different universities.
Not-to-miss scholarship opportunities
With such exciting education and learning opportunities available, Japan also offers provision to enable international students, including Indian students, to continue their education without any financial constraint. Here are few not-to-miss scholarship opportunities that you must look up for –
- United Nations-Japan Long-term Fellowship Programme
- Honjo International Scholarship
- Indo-Japanese Young Researcher Fellowship Programme
- University of Tokyo Scholarships for International Students in Japan
- Japanese Government Scholarship for Undergraduates
Admission checklist to follow
To apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course in Japan, you need to essentially prepare for the following documents –
- An application form of the university/college to which you are applying
- A personal history form (if applicable)
- Application essay
- Marksheets and transcripts of previous educational qualification
- Certificate of previous Japanese studies (if applicable)
- A valid passport
- Medical history proof
- Passport-size photographs of the applicant
When to apply?
Most of the Japanese universities offer admission to students in 4 semesters that start in the months of January, April, July and October. Students taking admission in January need to apply before August (previous year). Similarly, students taking admission in April need to apply before November (previous year). Students taking admission in July need to apply before March (same year), whereas the students taking admission in October semester can apply before May (same year).
Applying for the student visa
To continue studies in Japan, every international student needs to have a student visa, except for some countries that offer visa-free entry to their students. To apply for a student visa in Japan, here are the key things that you need to do –
- Obtain a Certificate of Enrolment (CoE) from the school that has accepted your application.
- Visit the nearby Japanese embassy to complete the visa application.
- Get all important visa documents ready such as passport, a passport-size photograph etc.
- Pay the visa application fee (if applicable)
- Wait for the visa to come.
- Since the time required to obtain a visa is unpredictable, it is advisable to apply for the visa two weeks before your travel to Japan.
Get Free Counselling and Admission Assistance for your Study Abroad Dreams! Register Here