New Delhi, 30 May 2022 – The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, announced the benefits under the PM-CARES for Children Scheme 2022 while he was addressing the students around the country on Monday (30 May). The event was held as a part of a massive public outreach campaign, which started from May 30 and will continue till June 14. The campaign has been started by the central government to mark the eighth anniversary of the Modi government.
The PM-CARES for Children Scheme has been started to aid children who have lost both of their parents due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The initiative aims to support COVID-orphaned children, so that they can continue their education.
The Prime Minister noted, “I know how difficult the situation is for people who have lost their family members during the COVID-19 pandemic. This programme is aimed towards children who lost their parents during the pandemic. PM-CARES for Children Scheme is an attempt to help such children [and] I am talking to the children not as the PM, but as a member of their family. I am very relieved to be among children today. PM Cares for Children is a reflection of the fact that every countryman is with you with utmost sensitivity.
PM-CARES for Children Scheme – Overview
|Scheme Name||PM-CARES for Children|
|Launched By||Hon’ble Prime Minister of India – Mr. Narendra Modi|
|Scheme Launch Date||29 May 2021|
|Scheme Launched For||Children who have lost both their parents or legal guardians to the COVID-19 pandemic|
|Benefits of the Scheme||
|Support Provided Until||Students reach and complete 23 years of age|
PM-CARES for Children – Benefits Announced by PM
- Children have been aided by making their arrangements under their guardians or relatives.
- In case a student did not have a relative, guardian, or surviving parent, the child has been sent to a child care institution.
- Anganwadis are taking care of these childrens’ complete nutrition, vaccination, and regular health checkups.
- The children are also eligible for a health insurance of up to Rs. 5,00,000 (Rs. 5 lakh).
- The safeguarding of these children has been allocated to the respective district magistrates.
- The children are given scholarships to continue their education. Plus, they are also provided funds for food, shelter, clothing, books, and stationery.
- During holidays, the students have been allotted boarding and lodging places.
- The students have also received education loans to pursue their dream education. The interest of the loan will be paid through the PM-CARES fund.
- The funds from the PM’s treasury will be invested as per the ages of the students. When these students reach 18 years of age, the entire corpus will be worth Rs. 10,00,000 (Rs. 10 lakh).
- The interest generated from the corpus will be used to provide monthly stipend to students from 18 years to 23 years of age.
- Along with that, after the completion of school education, students will receive a scholarship of Rs. 50,000 (Rs. 50 thousand) to pursue technical education. This will be provided under the SWANATH education scheme.
- Students who leave school after Class 10 have the option to enroll for skill development and training.
- Plus, the students also receive a compensation of Rs. 50,000 as per the directions received from the Home Ministry.
- The Women and Child Development Ministry is also working with other departments to ensure the complete development of children under the scheme.
TO VIEW THE ENTIRE ANNOUNCEMENT VIDEO, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Who is eligible for the PM-CARES for Children Scheme?
All children who have lost both of their parents, all of their legal guardians, all adoptive parents, or surviving parents to the COVID-19 pandemic from 11th March 2020 onwards are eligible for the scheme.
What is the aim of the scheme?
The objective of the scheme is to ensure comprehensive care and protection of children in a sustained manner. Additionally, the scheme aims to enable the childrens’ well being through health insurance, empower them through education, and equip them for self-sustenance with financial support.