Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) 2023
Follow this page to get timely alerts on
- Latest announcement about this scholarship
- Updates on scholarship deadline extension
- Notification of scholarship result declaration
Add appropriate tags
Last Updated On : 27-11-2023 Posted By : Smriti Verma
Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) 2023 is a scholarship scheme implemented by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India to provide financial assistance to children of Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) for pursuing undergraduate courses in Indian Universities/Institutes. The selected candidates will receive financial assistance covering tuition fees, admission fees, and post-admission services.
Scholarship Programme for Diaspora Children (SPDC) 2023
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- be a ward of Indian workers in ECR countries/Non-residential Indians (NRIs)/Persons of Indian Origins (PIOs)/Overseas Citizenship of India (OCIs)
- be between the ages of 17 and 21 on July 31st of the respective year
- have completed the Class 11 and 12 education in one of the following ways:
- from a school outside of India
- from a school in India that is recognised by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) [Note: This option is only available for children of Indian workers who are living in Emigration Check Required (ECR) countries.]
- have secured a minimum of total 60% marks or equivalent grades in all the subjects in the Senior Secondary (10+2) or equivalent exam
- have secured admission in UG courses in one of the following categories of institutions:
- Central universities of India offering undergraduate courses
- 'A' Grade Institutions accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) and recognised by UGC
- National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Schools of Planning and Architecture, and Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) through the DASA scheme
- have secured admission in one of the following undergraduate courses:
S.No. Existing Course Name Description 1 Engineering/Architecture/ Technology B.E./B.Arch./B.Tech 2 Humanities/Liberal Arts B.A. in Humanities/Liberal Arts 3 Commerce B.Com. 4 Management BBA/BBM 5 Computers BCA/I.T. 6 Journalism Degree in Journalism 7 Hotel Management Bachelor in Hotel Management (BHM) 8 Agriculture/Animal Husbandry B.E./B.Sc 9 Sciences B.Sc 10 Law LLB 11 Ayurveda Graduation in Ayurveda 12 Nursing B.Sc. Nursing 13 Physiotherapy Bachelors in Physiotherapy (B.PT) 14 Pharmacy B. Pharma
- have an annual income of less than US Dollar Five Thousand (US$ 5000) [for NRIs/PIOs/OCIs category] and equivalent to US Dollar Three Thousand (US$ 3,000) [for Indian Workers in ECR countries]
- Children of Indians residing in Nepal shall be eligible for SPDC on fulfillment of the following eligibility criteria:
- Both parents should be registered in the Indian Mission/Post in Nepal for a minimum period of two years
- Applicant must have completed at least two years of schooling in Class 11 and 12 in Nepal prior to applying
- Criteria fixed for the NRI sub-category will be applicable to the children of Indians residing in Nepal.
The selected students will receive financial assistance financial assistance covering up to 75% of the total Institutional Economic Cost (IEC), with a maximum limit of US$4,000 per annum. It means that the scholarship will pay for a significant portion of the student's educational expenses, including tuition fees, hostel fees, and other institutional charges (excluding food charges).
In the second and subsequent years will receive the scholarship as below following certain parameters for the continuation of the scholarship:
- Students with at least 50% marks and passing grades in all subjects will receive the maximum scholarship amount, which is up to 75% of the tuition fee or $4,000, whichever is less.
- Students with less than 50% marks but passing grades in all subjects will receive 90% of the maximum scholarship amount.
- Students who have not passed all of their subjects but have been promoted to the next year by their school will receive 50% of the maximum scholarship amount.
Note: The students, who have not been promoted to the next academic year by the Institute/University will not be eligible for a grant of any further scholarship
- Admission letter issued by the institution
- Authenticated transcripts of marks/grades secured in the qualifying examination i.e. Class 12
- Class 11 and 12 pass certificates
- NRI certificate (if applicable)
- Valid work permit of the parent(s) for the ECR country (if applicable)
- PIO/OCI card or declaration as proof of Indian origin (attested by Head of Indian Mission) (if applicable)
- Self-attested annual salary certificate of applicant’s parents duly
signed by the employer based in a foreign country
- A declaration stating that the applicant is not receiving any other scholarship or financial assistance or any other assistance under any other Government of India or State Government Scheme
- Passport size photograph as specified below:
- Width: 100 px to 200 px
- Height: 120 px to 230 px
- Dimension: 200 x 230 pixels (preferred)
- Size of File: 20 to 50 KB
Note: For detailed information, kindly refer to the 'Scholarship Guidelines'.
How can you apply?
Eligible candidates can apply for the scholarship through the following steps:
Step 1: Click on the 'Apply Now' button below.
Step 2: Click on the 'Register' button and fill in the required registration details. (Note: If already registered, log in using Gmail/Mobile number/Email ID).
Step 3: Read the SPDC guidelines carefully, navigate to 'How to Apply', and click on the provided link.
Step 4: Click on the 'Login' button and log in using valid credentials. (Note: First-time applicants are required to register first)
Step 5: Fill in the required details, upload the necessary documents, and submit.
Application Deadline: 10th December 2023
The selection of the candidates will be exclusively on their merit-cum-means basis.
Terms and Conditions
- Only one application per candidate is allowed.
- Incomplete/ineligible applications in any respect will be rejected.
- The eligibility of candidates, in doubtful cases, will be decided by the Ministry of External Affairs.
- The ward of any employee of the Government of India, Financial Institutions, Banks, PSUs, and any other body of the Govt. of India living/working abroad will not be covered under SPDC.
- Candidates availing scholarship/financial assistance/any other assistance under any other Scheme sponsored and/or funded by the State Government/Central Government of India shall not be eligible for assistance/scholarship under SPDC.
- All selected Persons of Indian Origin (excluding OCIs) must obtain a valid student visa issued by the Indian Missions/Posts abroad. A visa can be obtained by producing the admission offer letter received from the respective Institute.
- The students who have been receiving a scholarship from previous years will continue to receive scholarship as per their respective guidelines. Existing beneficiaries shall continue to receive the scholarship till the completion of their courses, if otherwise eligible.
Note - For detailed information, kindly refer to the 'Scholarship Guidelines'.
This scholarship is closed for further applications. It is expected to be launched by November, 2024. You can follow this scholarship for further updates.
Meanwhile, browse our featured scholarships and other related scholarships while you wait for the launch of this scholarship.
1. Source of Information: Buddy4Study app compiles details on scholarships/fellowships from government websites and private scholarship sources. Links to the official sources accompany each listing detail pages.
2. Non-affiliation: The Buddy4Study app is not associated with any government entity in India or elsewhere. When featuring government scholarships, we rely on publicly accessible information from central and state government websites in India.
All the information provided here is for reference purpose only. While we strive to list all scholarships for benefit of students, Buddy4Study does not guarantee the accuracy of the data published here. For official information, please refer to the official website. read more