DST-SDC Media Fellowship 2019
Follow this page to get timely alerts on
- Latest announcement about this scholarship
- Updates on scholarship deadline extension
- Notification of scholarship result declaration
Add appropriate tags
This scholarship is closed for further applications. It is expected to be launched by June, 2021. You can follow this scholarship for further updates.
Meanwhile, browse our featured scholarships and other related scholarships while you wait for the launch of this scholarship.
About the Program
The Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and the Centre for Media Studies (CMS) invites applications for DST-SDC Media Fellowship 2019 and provides the applicants with the opportunity to win up to INR 60,000 and other benefits. The Fellowships are aimed at improving the quality of reports received on climate change, capturing the voices of the Himalayan communities, increasing scientific accuracy of media reports, thereby facilitating effective communication about mountain communities vulnerable to impacts of climate change.
DST-SDC Media Fellowship 2019 DeadlineClosed
The following applicants are eligible for the fellowship:
- Should have at least 3-5 years of experience in journalism
- Mid-career and senior journalists from print, electronic and digital media
- Should have a demonstrated commitment to have a career in journalism, covering environmental issues is an added advantage
- Should be proficient in the English language
- Freelancers are eligible to apply provided they fulfil all other conditions
The selected fellows will receive the following benefits:
- A grant of INR 60,000 which includes honorarium, research, insurance and a contingency grant.
- INR 15,000 as reimbursement for their travel and fieldwork research. This is subject to submission of actual bills for travel, lodging and boarding.
- Best story/stories emerging from the fellowships will be awarded at CMS VATAVARAN Film Festival 2019.
The following documents need to be attached along with the application:
- A proposal
- An updated curriculum vitae
- Two recent examples of work published in newspapers or on website or portals/broadcast
- An undertaking that, in the event of their selection, the applicant will produce a letter of support from their respective editor/competent authorities, indicating support during the Fellowship.
Note: The letter must also mention that the student and the applicant are on contract with an established, mainstream media outlet in India.
How can you apply?
Follow the steps to apply:
Step 1: Write a 300-350 words proposal outlining story ideas and proposed plan for the field visit.
Step 2: Attach the required documents.
Step 3: Send application along with attached documents through a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20th, 2019 OR
The students can send their application via post at the following address:
Media Fellowship, CMS Advocacy,
Centre for Media Studies, Research House,
34-B, Saket Community Centre,
New Delhi 110017
Note: The subject line of the applicant's email should read: " APPLICANT’s FULL NAME Application – DST-SDC MEDIA
- Submission Deadline: 28th February 2019
- Announcement of Fellowships: End of March 2019
- Fellowship time period: April – June 2019
- Publication/broadcast of Stories: Before July 2019
An independent jury will review the applications and the decisions of the jury will be final and binding. Applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
- Story ideas and experience in covering environmental issues
- Stories for the Fellowship should be done in the Himalayan region
- Writing/reporting skills- like in-depth stories, human interest stories, features, etc
Note: One Fellowship each in 2019 is reserved for women journalists and for journalists from North-East India.
Terms and Conditions
- A total of five Fellowships will be awarded during 2019 from across the country for reporting on climate change impacts and adaptation in the Indian Himalayan Region.
- The duration of the fellowship will be three months, from April 01, 2019 to June 30, 2019.
- Fellows are expected to undertake at least a two-week-long field visit related to the subjects they choose to write on.
- Fellows will be expected to write a minimum of three in-depth stories during the Fellowship programme and should be published/broadcast before July 2019.
- Fellows will have to carry out field trips for at least two weeks in the Indian Himalayan Region.
For more information, click here.
All the information provided here is for reference purpose only. While we strive to list all scholarships for benefit of students, Buddy4Study does not guarantee the accuracy of the data published here. For official information, please refer to the official website. read more