Study in Malaysia – One of the top tourist destinations in the world, Malaysia, a South-East Asian country, is an epitome of natural beauty and diverse cultural richness. Every year, thousands of tourists visit Malaysia to sample the country’s exquisite cuisines, dynamic cities, glorious beaches and its ancient rainforests. Besides these factors, the country is rapidly strengthening its education system. International students are coming to this island country with the wish to study in Malaysia and experience its distinctive culture and progressive education system.
Study in Malaysia – Why Study in Malaysia?
Malaysia has made a significant contribution to the development of education system in the country. The country is assorted with a number of tertiary institutions which include colleges, universities, training institutions, government-funded and private institutions. A number of subjects are offered to students who wish to study in Malaysia at various levels such as certificate, diploma, undergraduate or postgraduate degree level. The ease to choose desired subjects combined with the pleasant surroundings of Malaysia make for unique study destination for international students.
Study in Malaysia – Popular Malaysian Universities
Presence of several renowned universities in Malaysia is one factor that makes Malaysia more attractive to Indian students. Several reputed and popular international universities like Monash University, Curtin University of Technology, University of Nottingham, University of Southern California and Raffles University have established their branches in Malaysia. All these institutions provide their high-quality degree courses to interested students at an effective cost in Malaysia, which is closer to India as compared to the home countries of these educational institutions like the UK, Australia, Singapore and the USA. Some other popular Malaysian universities are Universiti Malaya (UM), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), Universiti Putra Malaya (UPM), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) and Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM).
Study in Malaysia – Scholarships in Malaysia for International Students
The influx of international students who wish to study in Malaysia has increased in the recent years because of the low tuition fee in most of the Malaysian universities as well as the availability of several scholarships and grants. Most of the scholarships are offered to students on the basis of their merit which differs from university to university. Find below the list of some popular scholarships in Malaysia for international students.
- Curtin University Malaysia Campus Scholarship: As the name suggests, this scholarship is provided to international students by Curtin University Malaysian Campus. Under this scholarship scheme, the students get a tuition fee waiver of up to 40%.
- Education Malaysia Scholarship: Provided by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia, this scholarship is given to those students who wish to pursue an education in any of the Malaysian public and private universities. Under this scheme, the students receive a tuition fee waiver of up to 100%.
- UCSI University Trust Graduate Scholarship: This scholarship is offered to students wishing to pursue full-time postgraduate studies at UCSI University. The selected candidates are awarded full or partial tuition fee waiver as per the merit.
Click here to know about international scholarship opportunities available for Indian students.
Study in Malaysia – How to Apply?
The international students just need to follow the steps mentioned below to understand the application process to study in Malaysia.
Step 1: As a first step, the candidates need to choose the course of study they wish to pursue and decide upon the institution where they wish to receive education. Then, the students can directly apply to the selected institution. Based on the application form filled by the candidate, the university/college offers a place for their upcoming intake.
Step 2: After receiving the offer letter from the desired institution, the international students can apply for their student visa to travel to Malaysia for studying. The students have two options to apply for a student visa in Malaysia.
- If the students get an acceptance letter from a public/private college/university of Malaysia, they can apply online directly through the Education Malaysia website.
- The other option is that the students can pay their tuition fees and submit all the required documents to their institution and the institution will begin the process of applying for their Visa Approval Letter (VAL).
Now that you know about the applying options, let’s take a look at the list of documents required to be submitted with the student visa application.
- 1 passport size photograph having a white background (35mm x 45mm)
- Copy of passport
- Offer letter of the institution
- Academic transcripts and certificates
- Pre-arrival medical examination report
- Personal bond signed by the institution
- No-objection Certificate (NOC)
- English language requirement (PTE/IELTS/TOEFL/CAE/CPE/MUET score)
Step 3: Receiving the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) from the Immigration Department in Malaysia means that the candidate is eligible to receive a Student Pass. Now, the students need to obtain a Single Entry Visa (SEV) from the Malaysian Embassy before entering Malaysia.
Note: Before reaching Malaysia, it is advised for students to share their flight itinerary with their educational institution so that a representative from the institution can receive the arriving student at the immigration check-point at the Malaysian airport.
Step 4: Upon arrival in Malaysia, the student needs to show their VAL at the immigration checkpoint and a special pass is stamped on the student’s passport to give the student valid stay (ranges between 14 to 30 days). Also, the students need to attend a medical screening in Malaysia at an EMGS (Education Malaysia Global Services) panel clinic within 7 days of their arrival. The students also need to be covered by a locally purchased medical and health insurance plan.
Step 5: If the student passes the medical screening, EMGS notifies the student’s university to submit his/her passport to EMGS for Student Pass endorsement. The university submits the Student Pass endorsement to the State Immigration which finally issues the Student Pass which is a replacement of temporary special pass given to the student at the entry point.
Study in Malaysia – Tuition Fee in Malaysia
Malaysia is rapidly becoming one of the most preferred study destinations in Asia because of its affordable tuition fees as compared to that of the US, UK, Australia and Canada. The tuition fees for Engineering degree in Malaysia ranges from USD 13,000 – 15,000, for Business degree program USD 11,000 – 14,500 and for Hospitality & Tourism program USD 13,000 – 18,000. The students must keep in mind that the fee differs from university to university and also depends on whether the institution is a government-funded or private one.
You can read ‘Study in Russia – All you need to know’ if you wish to know about the educational opportunities in Russia.