Post study work visa (USA) is one of the main factors of interest for international students wishing to pursue an education in the USA. Most international students want to work in the US after the completion of their course. Some of the student visa options offered by the United States allow students to work there while studying as well as after the completion of their course for a limited duration. So, an international student with the desire to stay back in the US and work there for a while must gather information about the visa options available to them and know which one would be suitable for their study in USA and work post the completion of the study program. F1 visa is one such post study work visa (USA) that allows a student to stay for a maximum duration of 12 months in the US after his/her study whereas J1 visa and M1 student visa grant a grace period of 30 days to the visa holders to stay in the US.
Here, in this article, you will find details about post study work visa (USA). You will find information on what an international student can expect after the completion of their program in the US as per their visa rules and regulations.
Highlighted below are the US visas that allow international students to work in the USA post study.
Post Study Work Visa (USA) – Types of Visas
As has already been mentioned above, F1 visa, M1 and J1 student visas give students the opportunity to stay in the US after finishing studies for a limited time. Given below are the complete details about the student visa types of the USA and their important features.
Types of US Student Visa
|S.No.||Type of Visa||Particulars|
Now that you know the main features of the US student visas and know which one can be taken as post study work visa (USA), which is F1 visa, let’s read the eligibility requirements of F1 visa and how to apply for it.
Post Study Work Visa (USA) – Requirements for F1 Visa
It has already been mentioned above that F1 visa allows students to apply for OPT and work up to a period of 1 year after completing their studies and apply their gained knowledge in the course of study in their practical training. Highlighted below are the eligibility requirements of F1 visa.
- The international students applying for F1 visa must have taken admission into an academic educational program/language program at a school/college/university approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- The students must be enrolled as a regular, full-time candidate at a US educational institution.
- The international students must be proficient in English language or be enrolled in a program that leads to English language proficiency.
- Also, the candidates must have sufficient funds with them to support their stay in the US during the entire course of study.
Post Study Work Visa (USA) – How to Apply for F1 Visa?
The aspiring students who wish to study full-time academic courses in the US and work afterwards for a short while in the USA must apply for F1 visa. One thing the international students must keep in mind that they should start their visa application only after securing admission to your desired US institution. Given below are the steps needed to apply for F1 visa, also considered by many students as post study work visa (USA).
- The first step towards starting a visa application is to get admitted into a SEVP-approved US institution. The institution, then, sends Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status) to the accepted student with his/her SEVIS-ID and other important information mentioned on it.
- Now, the students need to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee online and take a printout of the confirmation page for future reference.
- Then, apply for an international student visa through the nearest US embassy or consulate.
- Now, fill in Form DS I-160 (Non-immigrant Visa Application Form) online and upload the required documents to complete the form and submit it. Take the printout of the confirmation page for future reference.
- The students, now, need to schedule their visa interview with the nearest US embassy or consulate and pay the visa application fee of USD 160. The candidates are advised to keep the receipt of the payment of visa application fee.
- As a final step, the students need to attend the visa interview on the designated day. Based on this interview, students are informed if they will receive the US student visa or not.