MBBS abroad – As we know that medical education in India is quite expensive. Many students miss the chance of pursuing medical courses due to high tuition fees. This scenario has led to students heading abroad for more affordable courses in medicine since there are a number of countries that offer high-quality medical education at low-cost. The best MBBS abroad destinations include Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Germany, etc. The medical universities in these countries follow the international curriculum. The universities in these countries are approved by the major organisations such as the World Health Organisation (WHO) and are also listed under the Medical Council of India (MCI).
MBBS Abroad – Why study MBBS abroad?
- Students can get medical education at affordable costs (INR 15-25 Lakh).
- Generally, no donation fees are required to get admitted to medical colleges abroad.
- No entrance test is required to get admission in medical colleges abroad.
- The living cost is low in the countries mentioned above, such as in Russia, the average monthly living cost can be USD 100-150 including overhead expenses.
- Availability of world-class infrastructure is also the major reason why students want to pursue medical studies abroad.
- There are many opportunities to get international learning and work exposure. Students get the chance to interact with students coming from different countries, ethnicity, and background in the top medical universities abroad.
- Many medical universities abroad use the English language as the medium of education. It’s not necessarily required for students to learn the local language of the country to study MBBS.
MBBS Abroad – Universities to study MBBS abroad
Students who wish to get a world-class medical education can apply for the medical colleges in the countries listed below. But they should be cautious that they are not misled by fabricated information by agents or consultants. Medical Council of India or MCI has notified on their website about the countries/colleges recognised by it. There are 393 medical colleges in different countries that are recognised by the MCI.
List of countries to study abroad whose Medical institutions offer MBBS degree equivalent to Indian medical education:
- Azerbaijan Republic
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Dominican Republic
- Saudi Arabia
- Sri Lanka
- West Indies
The most preferred countries where Indian students like to go and study MBBS among the above-listed countries are:
Best university to study MBBS abroad:
- Tver State Medical University
- Orenburg State Medical University
- Perm State Medical University
- Mari State University
- Siberian State Medical University
- Osh State University
- Jalalabad State University
- International School of Medicine
- Kyiv National Medical University
- Kharkiv National Medical University
List of colleges for recruiting international undergraduate students with clinical medicine major (in English Language) 2019-20
|S. No.||Name Of University||Number Of International Students|
|2||Chinese Medical University||100|
|3||Dalian Medical University||100|
|4||Capital Medical University||100|
|5||Tianjin Medical University||100|
|8||Xinjiang Medical University||100|
|9||Nanjing Medical University||100|
|11||Wenzhou Medical University
Wenzhou Medical University
|14||Huazhong University of Science
|15||Xi’an Jiaotong University||100|
|16||Southern Medical University||100|
|18||Guangxi Medical University||100|
|20||Chongqing Medical University||100|
|21||Harbin Medical University||60|
|23||Jinzhou Medical University||60|
|25||Hebei Medical University||60|
|26||Ningxia Medical University||60|
|34||Fujian Medical University||60|
|35||Anhui Medical University||60|
|36||Xuzhou Medical College||60|
|37||Three Gorges University||20|
|39||Guangzhou Medical University||60|
|40||Sun Yat-sen University||60|
|42||Kunmig Medical University||60|
|43||North Sichuan Medical College||40|
|44||Southwest Medical University||60|
Factors to consider before choosing a medical university to study MBBS abroad:
When an applicant selects a country to study MBBS abroad, the next step is to choose an appropriate medical university. The following tips can help you in selecting the best medical university to study MBBS abroad.
- One should get familiar with the ranking details of the university.
- Details on medical course faculty, course curriculum, number of students, etc.
- Students should check out about recognition of the universities they are applying to.
- Tuition fees and accommodation costs
- Whether the university offers MCI screening coaching or not
- Living costs
- You could also check out the number of Indian students studying at the university you are applying at.
MBBS Abroad – MBBS in India vs Abroad?
Studying MBBS from foreign universities depends on the country, medical college and other factors mentioned earlier.
Comparisons between medical education in India and abroad:
MBBS in India
|1.||Better theory syllabus||International exposure|
|2.||Better clinical experience||Student exchange programs|
|3.||No language barrier while studying and practising medicine in India||Admission process is easier in some foreign government medical universities as compared to the ones in India. It’s tough to get a government college seat in India for aspiring candidates.|
|4.||Appear for NEET for UG/PG studies, obtain NLE license to practice in India||Student who obtains MBBS under MCI approved colleges abroad is eligible to practice in India. But they have to clear MCI screening exam and complete 1 year of internship in India and register with MCI as a medical practitioner.|
Students studying MBBS abroad have to appear and clear the MCI screening test to get a license for practising medicine in India. However, clearing the MCI screening test is tough and students should have a strong foundation in their MBBS curriculum if they wish to crack it. Foreign Medical Graduate Examination or MCI screening test is conducted by National Boards of Examination. There are plenty of opportunities after graduating with an MBBS degree in India and abroad.
MBBS Abroad – Eligibility Requirements
- Indian medical aspirants must have secured a minimum of 50% in their Class 12 from Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- Medical aspirants belonging to the reserved categories such as SC, ST, OBC and Minority can apply with the minimum of 40% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology, according to the guidelines of MCI.
- Medical aspirants have to be NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) qualified, as it is mandatory from 2019 onwards.
MBBS Abroad – MBBS in Popular Countries
There are many popular destinations to study MBBS abroad which Indian students can choose from. We have listed below some of the countries and information related to their colleges, admission and quality of education.
MBBS in Russia
Indian students have always been attracted by the medical education in Russia and its been over 25 years that students have been graduating from Russian universities in the field of medicine. More than 5000 doctors have studied in Russia, out of which many have settled abroad and others have returned to India to continue practising medicine. The medical education in Russia is quite popular worldwide and many of its colleges are recognised under MCI.
One of the top Russian university namely Rostov State Medical University offers medical courses which are generally of 6 years of duration and might cost up to INR 15 Lakhs. The cost is way less than that of MBBS programmes in private universities of India. In Russia, medical programs are of 3 types: Full English taught, Russian taught and bilingually taught. The university intake starts in the selected months: July, August and September. The living costs are also affordable in Russia.
It is due to the following reasons that the students prefer going to Russia for MBBS:
- Quality of education
- Less strict eligibility conditions for admission
- Low tuition fees
Universities to look out for in 2019 by Indian students for pursuing medical education in Russia:
- Crimean University, Crimea
- Russian National Research Medical University, Moscow
- Kazan State Medical University
- Rostov State Medical University
- Kazan Federal University
- Dagestan State Medical University
MBBS in Georgia
There are many WHO recognised medical institutions in Georgia. There are no entrance tests for medical college admissions. There are mostly grade “B” universities but medical courses are taught in English. Indian students, who study at MCI recognised universities in Georgia, are eligible for licensing exam in India. The college intake time is generally in July and August.
The top government universities in Georgia are:
- Tibilisi State Medical University
- Batumi Shota Rustaveli University
- Caucasus International University
The duration of the MBBS courses in these universities is 6 years and costs up to INR 40 Lakh.
MBBS in Ukraine
MBBS in Ukraine is quite popular worldwide and Indian students have been graduating in medicine from many top colleges of Ukraine. The reasons for popularity among students are affordable/low-cost medical courses, good quality education, etc. The average medical course costs up to INR 20 Lakhs. Most MBBS courses are taught in English and admission process in simple. The universities are recognised by MCI and students passing MBBS from these universities are eligible to appear for licensing exam in India.
Some of the top Ukranian MBBS universities in Ukraine:
- Lviv National Medical University
- Vinnitsa National Medical University
- Bukovinian State Medical University
- Ivano Frankovsk University
- Odessa National Medical University
MBBS in China
The cost of MBBS courses in China is cost-effective as compared to the private medical institutions in India. There are more than 50 universities in China which are recognised by MCI in India. The applicants from India would need to appear for SET (Standardized Entrance Test) to study medicine in China. Generally, the MBBS courses in China are of 5 years duration. Some of the top Chinese medical institutions are Jilin University, Nanjing University, etc. The medical education in these universities costs up to INR 20 Lakhs.
Following are the top government Chinese medical colleges in China that Indian students can apply for:
- Huazhong University
- Capital University
- China Medical University
- Jiangsu University
- Jilin Medical University
- Nanjing University