KVPY registration holds a great significance for the students appearing for the examination. The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is a national-level fellowship program which tests the analytical abilities and the aptitude of the students in the field of science. It is initiated and funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India. The KVPY registration generally begins in the month of July and lasts till August. The students who aspire to appear for the exam must be attentive during this period of the year.
The last date for KVPY registration for the year 2018 is 31 August 2018, for which the admit cards are released approximately within 30 days prior to the examination date. The examination tentatively takes place in the month of November every year. Thus, the aspirants are advised to plan everything accordingly. What are the steps to be followed for KVPY registration? Is there a registration fee applicable? Where can the students register? Is the registration process online or offline? Find an answer to all these questions in this article. It covers every significant detail related to KVPY registration such as important dates, eligibility criteria for the examination and much more information for the students and their effectual preparation.
KVPY Registration- Important Dates
What are important dates related to KVPY registration that a student should remember? The KVPY registration usually starts in the month of July/August every year and the examination is held in the month of November for which the admit cards are released by the month of October. However, to get a detailed list of important dates for KVPY examination, refer to the table given below. It highlights tentative dates for every significant event including KVPY registration, application deadline, the release of admit card, examination date, result declaration and more.
KVPY Registration-Important Dates
|S. No.||Event||Important Dates*|
|1.||Availability of application form||In the month of July|
|2.||Application deadline||In the month of August|
|3.||Admit card availability||In the 2nd week of October|
|4.||Date of the examination||4th November every year|
|5.||Result declaration||In the 3rd week of December|
|6.||Personal Interview||In the 2nd/3rd week of January|
|7.||Fellowship programme commencement||The first week of August|
*These dates are tentative which may change on the discretion of the provider.
KVPY Registration- General Instructions
The students need to abide by some rules and follow some general instructions in order to successfully complete the KVPY registration and examination process without any glitches. The prestigious national-level fellowship examination evaluates students and gives them the opportunity to continue their education. Some general instructions that the students should follow in order to smoothly commence and complete the KVPY registration procedure have been mentioned below:
- The applicants should ensure that the contact information provided by them is authentic and active for the online application of the examination.
- The registered email id and phone number should be kept active till the declaration of the result. All the updates and information in the future will be provided on the same by the provider to the applicants.
- The applicants are required to register through their personal email id after which they will receive the login credentials and confirmation mail on the registered email id.
- The applicants should go through the application form thoroughly before submitting it. No changes are allowed to be made post submission.
- Prior to applying online, the candidates are required to have a soft copy / scanned image (in JPG/JPEG format) of the recent passport size photograph of not more than 150 KB and signature of not more than 80 KB.
- The applicants should ensure that both the photograph and the signature are saved on the PC/Laptop/Other Media.
- The SC/ST and PWD candidates must upload a scanned copy of the caste certificate (SC/ST) and medical certificate (for PWD) in PDF format of not more than 300 KB.
- It is advised to the applicants to proceed to the payment immediately after completing the application form. The payment can be done by using a credit card, ATM-debit card or net banking.
- After the transaction is completed successfully and the payment is done, the details of the same will be displayed. The candidates may note down the transaction details. Once the payment has been made, no refund of application fee will be done.
KVPY Registration- How to Apply?
The KVPY registration/application form is available online at the official KVPY website in the month of July every year and the last date to fill the application form is scheduled in the month of August. The examination is for students to pursue higher education in the field of science in India. The application fee for the examination is INR 1000 for the general/OBC category students and INR 500 for the SC/ST/PWD students.
The KVPY selection is a two-tier process involving an aptitude test and a personal interview. The KVPY application procedure has three steps which include students registration, filling the application form and submission of the application fee. Here is a step-wise description of KVPY application.
Step 1: Registration
- Visit the official KVPY website.
- Click “Registrations & Application” in the red box present on the right side of the screen.
- The candidates will be redirected to the general instructions page of the application.
- Fill in the basic information in the required fields and complete the registration process.
Step 2: Fill the application form
- The applicant will receive a confirmation mail on the registered email Id and the login credentials to further the application process.
- Log-in with the respective user-id and password by accessing the login page.
- Access the application form and fill in the following details carefully and correctly:
- Stream applied for
- Personal details
- Academic details
- Exam centre preference
Step 3: Attach the necessary documents
- Select the preferred aptitude test language between Hindi and English.
- Upload the caste/disability certificate (If applicable).
- Attach a scanned photograph.
- Upload a scanned copy of the signature.
- Click ‘Preview’ to check the application form and go through the form once again to avoid any errors before submitting the application.
- Submit the application.
Step 4: Fee payment
- An application fee of INR 1000 for the general/OBC applicants and INR 500 for the SC/ST/PWD applicants need to be paid before the application form can be submitted.
- The application fee can be paid through both the online and offline modes.
- Click on ‘online payment’ and choose the mode most suitable among the options available (credit card, debit card and net banking).
- Click on ‘Submit and pay’.
- Download a copy of challan by clicking on “Generate Challan” present on the bottom right corner of the payment screen.
- Visit the nearest State Bank of India branch to complete the payment process.
- Upload a scanned copy of the challan on the application portal and submit.
- Print the application for future reference.
Step 5: Check application status
- Access the website post two days of submitting the application form.
- Log-in with the credentials.
- Check the live status of the respective application.
- The applicants will see a message similar to ‘your application has been successfully submitted’ or ‘your application has been rejected’ indicating the status of their application.
KVPY Registration- Eligibility Criteria
The KVPY scholarships have been exclusively initiated for Indian nationals to study within the country. The students who want to or are pursuing undergraduate degrees through distance education or a correspondence course from any university are not eligible to apply for the programme. The KVPY scheme has been divided into three streams and the KVPY registration of a particular student can be done in any one scheme depending on the standard that they’re studying in. The streams and the eligibility for the same have been elaborately explained below:
SA Stream: The SA stream is for the students studying in the 11th standard, the applicants need to qualify the following requirements in order to be eligible:
- They should have scored at least 75% marks (65% in case of SC/ST/PWD) in Mathematics and Science in the 10th standard board examinations.
- They must join an undergraduate course in Basic Sciences (B.Math/B.Stat/B.S./B.Sc./Int. M.S./ Int. M.Sc.).
- The applicant should also score at least 60% marks (50% in case of SC/ST/PWD) in Mathematics and Science in the 12th standard board examinations.
During the interim, the selected students will be invited for the National Science (Vijyoshi) camp and their travel expenses and hospitality will be taken care of by the team of KVPY.
SX Stream: This stream is applicable for students enrolled in the 12th standard in science subjects and who are aspiring to pursue their further education in the field of basic science. The eligibility requirements for the SX stream has been mentioned below:
- The student must have scored at least 75% aggregate marks (65% in case of SC/ST/PWD) in Mathematics and Science in the 10th standard board examinations.
- The student must have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate marks (50% in case of SC/ST/PWD) in Mathematics and Science in the 12th standard board examinations.
The students who are in their 2nd year in Cambridge International Examination Board and are aspiring to join an undergraduate program in basic science are also eligible to apply provided they fulfil the requirements mentioned above.
SB Stream: Eventually, the SB stream has been implemented for the students enrolled in the first year of their undergraduate program in the subjects related to basic science. The requirements for the students to be eligible under this stream are:
- The student should have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate marks (50% in case of SC/ST/PWD) in Mathematics and Science in the 12th standard board examinations
- The student should score at least 60% aggregate marks (50% in case of SC/ST/PWD) in the first year final examination of the respective degree in science.
Note: Additional fellowships are operated exclusively for the students belonging to the SC/ST community and similarly, fellowships are also operated exclusively for the students belonging to the PWD category (physically and visually challenged) in the Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY).
KVPY Registration- Frequently Asked Questions
A lot of questions hover in the student’s mind during the KVPY registration, preparation, and examination process. Where can the student get the application form from? Can application form be submitted offline? A few questions frequently asked by the students appearing for the KVPY examination and going through the KVPY registration are as follows:
Q. Can the form be submitted through offline mode?
A. The KVPY registration/application form cannot be submitted through offline mode, it is released only in online mode.
Q. If the application details have been lost or misplaced, how can the applicant obtain the application number?
A. The applicants who have already completed the KVPY registration can obtain the application details by clicking on “forgot application number or password” option which can be found on the KVPY application window.
Q. If the size of the documents exceeds the limit mentioned in the online application, what should be done?
A. The size limits mentioned in the online application form should be obediently followed by the applicant while filling the online application form. If the size of the documents attached along with the application exceeds the size limit mentioned in the application form, the applicant should convert them to the prescribed size before submitting the application.
Q. Can an aspiring applicant use a friend or a relative’s phone number in the KVPY registration/application form?
A. Since all the future communication related to the examination will be done through the applicant’s registered mobile number and email id, it is advised for them to use their own contact details to avoid any glitches in the future.
Q. Can an application be tracked after its submission?
A. Yes, all the applicants can track their application by logging in with their respective credentials on the application portal.