Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) is jointly offered by the Korean Government and the Government of India for students who wish to pursue a master’s degree, doctoral degree or research programme from a Korean higher education institution. The key purpose behind introducing KGSP is to provide opportunities for conducting advanced studies in Korean institutions to international students. The Korean Government Scholarship Program also aims to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between Korea and other participating countries. In 2010, the scholarship was integrated and branded as Global Korea Scholarship (GKS).
If you are willing to pursue higher studies from a recognised institution of higher education in Korea, the Korean Government Scholarship program can turn out to be a boon in managing the funds. Want to know more about KGSP? This article will provide you with a detailed description of its eligibility, application process, award details, selection process and more. However, before heading on to the details, here is a brief overview of the scholarship program for your reference.
Korean Government Scholarship Program – An Overview
|1.||Name of the scholarship||Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP)|
|2.||Provider information||Korean Government and Government of India|
|3.||Place of study||Higher Educational institutions in the Republic of Korea|
|4.||Level of study||
|5.||Fields of study||
|6.||Application timeline*||Between February and March (For 2019, the application submission deadline is 20 March 2019|
|7.||Number of nominations to be forwarded||15|
|8.||Number of scholarships||10|
|10.||Term of the scholarship||
|11.||Application process||Apply online through the Sakshat portal of MHRD.|
Korean Government Scholarship Program – Key Eligibility
Each student, who is classified as an international student can apply for the Korean Government Scholarship Program. Students having Korean citizenship or dual citizenship are not eligible to apply for this program. Furthermore, there are several other criteria as well that a student must fulfil to obtain benefits under KGSP. Based on a student’s age, health, academic qualification, grades, proficiency in Korean or English language, the eligibility criteria for each level of study may vary. Given below is a detailed description of the eligibility criteria for each study program –
Detailed Eligibility of Korean Government Scholarship Program
|S.No.||Particulars||Master’s degree program||Doctoral degree program||Research program|
|1.||Age requirements||Below 40 years of age||Below 40 years of age||For applicants working as a professor – Below 45 years of age|
|2.||Degree requirements||Bachelor’s degree or equivalent||Master’s degree or equivalent||
||Same as Master’s degree program||Same as Master’s degree program|
|4.||Health||Good physical and mental health required||Good physical and mental health required||Good physical and mental health required|
|5.||Language proficiency (Not mandatorily required)||Preference for Korean or English language proficiency||Preference for Korean or English language proficiency||Preference for Korean or English language proficiency|
- For entering into a research program, the candidates must also have an invitation from one of the NIIED’s (National Institute for International Education).
- Students, who have already pursued study/research/specialisation abroad either on scholarship or on their own for more than six months, are eligible to apply only if they have been in India for minimum 2 consecutive years after returning from abroad.
- Students, who have previously studied in a Korean university as visiting or exchange students can also apply.
- The prospective students, who have completed their bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree in Korea cannot apply for KGSP.
- Each candidate is required to submit a Personal Medical Assessment while applying for the scholarship.
Korean Government Scholarship Program – How to Apply?
If you fulfil the eligibility criteria of KGSP, you can apply for it online through the Sakshat portal of MHRD. The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) is the nominating agency in India for Korean Government scholarship program. Also, a student needs to send the hard copy of completed application form along with the required documents to MHRD. A step-by-step description of the application process is mentioned hereunder –
Step 1: Visit the official website of Sakshat portal of MHRD.
Step 2: Select ‘Korean Government Scholarship Program’ and click on the apply button.
Step 3: Fill in the application form.
Step 4: Attach all supporting documents.
Step 5: Submit the online application.
Step 6: After successful submission of the online application, download the application prescribed by the Korean government from its official website.
Step 7: Fill all necessary details and attach the supporting documents.
Step 8: Send the completed application form to –
The Under Secretary (Scholarship),
Ministry of Human Resource Development,
Department of Higher Education, West Block – 1, 2nd Floor, Wing – 6,
R.K. Puram, New Delhi – 110066
Korean Government Scholarship Program – Supporting Documents
Given below is the complete list of documents that you need to provide in support of your application –
- Mark sheets and certificate of Secondary Examination
- Mark sheets and certificate of Higher Secondary Examination
- Transcript in respect of the candidate’s higher qualification
- Bachelor’s/ Master’s/ Doctoral degree or equivalent
Note: The file size of each document should be less than 530 KB and should be available in .pdf format. In case, you need to upload two documents in one option, you need to scan both the documents together and submit it as one.
Korean Government Scholarship Program – Award Details
What kind of financial assistance is given under the Korean Government scholarship program? What are the things covered in this scholarship? Find an answer to all these questions in detail in this section. The amount of scholarship given to scholars of master’s/ doctoral/ research program varies. A comprehensive description of KGSP award details is given hereunder –
- Economy class airfare for entry into Korea and return to the home country
- One-time settlement allowance of KRW 200,000
- Monthly allowance of KRW 900,000 for master’s/doctoral degree and KRW 1,500,000 for research program
- Research allowance of KRW 210,000 per semester (for Liberal Arts and Social Science majors) and KRW 240,000 per semester (for Natural Science and Engineering majors)
- Fully covers the one-year Korean Language Training fee (applicable for Master’s and Doctoral degree students)
- Covers the tuition fee (applicable for Master’s and Doctoral degree students)
- Reimbursement of thesis printing fee of up to KRW 500,000 for Liberal Arts and Social Science majors and up to KRW 800,000 for Natural Science & Engineering and Arts, Music & Sports majors (applicable for Master’s and Doctoral degree students)
- Medical insurance of KRW 20,000 per month
- Korean proficiency grant of KRW 100,000 per month (applicable for Master’s and Doctoral degree students having a valid TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) level 5 or 6)
- One-time degree completion grant of KRW 100,000
Korean Government Scholarship Program – Selection Procedure
The initial shortlisting of the applications for Korean Government scholarship program is done by the MHRD. A merit list is prepared of all the applications received. The weightage is given to institutions of national importance/ centrally funded educational institutions (CEFIs) and NAAC accredited institutions from where the applicant has completed or is pursuing his/her qualifying examination. A total of 15 applications are shortlisted which are further sent for nominations to the Korean Government. Thereafter, the Korean Government shortlists only 10 nominations for the award of scholarship.