What is Women Scientists Scheme (WOS-A)?
Women Scientists Scheme (WOS-A) invites applications from women scientists and technologists between 27 and 57 years of age for pursuing research in the fields of basic/applied sciences in the frontier areas of science and engineering. The scheme aims at providing opportunities to women scientists who are desirous of returning to the mainstream science and work as bench-level scientists.
Who is offering this scholarship ?
The scheme has been introduced by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
Who can apply for this scholarship ?
An applicant must -
- Be a women scientist or technologist
- Be aged between 27 and 57 years
- Have a PhD or MSc in Basic/Applied Science, MTech, MBBS, MD, MS, MCH/DM in the medical stream or BTech from a recognised university.
Note: The applicants belonging to SC/ST/OBC and physically challenged category will receive an age relaxation of 5 years in the eligibility.
How can you apply ?
The application can be submitted online with following steps:
: Read all the details given on the website
Step 2: On the right side of the screen, there is an option of Online Submission System.
Step 4: A login id and password will be intimated through email.
Step 5: Fill all the required details and upload required documents.
Step 6: After completely filling the application form, click on submit button.
What are the benefits ?
The upper limit of the research grant is INR 30 Lac (for students with PhD or equivalent), INR 25 Lac (for MTech/MPharm or equivalent) and INR 20 Lac (for MSc or equivalents) for three years. The grant covers the cost of small equipment, consumables, travel, contingencies and fellowship as described below -
- The applicants with a minimum postgraduate degree equivalent to MSc in Applied/Basic Sciences or BTech or MBBS will receive a fellowship of INR 30,000 per month.
- The applicants with MTech, MD/MS, DM/MCH in Medical Sciences will receive a fellowship of INR 40,000 per month.
- The applicants with PhD in Basic/Applied Sciences will receive a fellowship of INR 55,000 per month.
Terms and Conditions
The scheme offers support in the following five disciplines -
- Physical and Mathematical Sciences (PMS)
- Chemical Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Engineering Technology
- Earth & Atmospheric Sciences