What is UNU-ISP PhD Scholarships, Japan 2015?
- The PhD programme in Sustainability Science aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science.
- The Programme will start in September 2015.
- The PhD dissertation of students will be on one of the research themes of UNU-ISP with a focus on global change and sustainability.
- Thus the PhD in Sustainability Science involves problem-oriented research that would enable students to acquire quantitative and qualitative analytical research skills to understand the underlying principles between various systems involved in sustainability issues and debates.
- Through coursework and research, PhD students are able to gain critical thinking, problem solving skills and technical literacy in addressing sustainability problems.
- No separate application is necessary for Scholarship.
- The scholarships are provided to students who can demonstrate need of finance.
The PhD in Sustainability Science programme duration is three years; the programme starts in September. Students are required to obtain 14 credits and are expected to complete all degree requirements by July of their third year. Students must complete a PhD dissertation in one of several UNU-IAS research themes, focusing on global change and sustainability. Students are also encouraged to take a joint PhD diploma offered by the UNU-IAS and The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Frontier Sciences (UT-GSFS) on Sustainability. For the joint diploma programme, students are required to take 18 credits, four of which should be from the courses offered by UT-GSFS.
Application deadline: 30 April 2015
- The scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 150,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. Travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
- *150,000 JPY is the average monthly living cost for an international student without dependents in Tokyo, although this amount may vary depending on the lifestyle of the student.
- Application Processing Fee: None
- Tuition Fee: 10,000 USD per year
Estimated total expenses for the PhD degree programme for 3 years including tuition are approximately 83,500 USD. Applicants must show financial resources adequate to meet the full costs of educational and living expenses.
Who can apply for this scholarship ?
- Strong interest in sustainability studies;
- Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research theme OR
- Two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
- *Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2015 – may also apply.
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale on at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
- English language proficiency
The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are:
- 600 in TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT)
- 100 in TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT)
- 7.0 in IELTS – Academic format
Applicants, except for the cases below, must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports (from a test taken within the last two years) to the Admissions Office at the time of application:
- Applicants whose first language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
UNU-IAS requires original TOEFL/IELTS score reports (no photocopies accepted).
- TOEFL: Please order an official score report using an institution code 6991.
For more information on TOEFL, please visit http://www.ets.org/toefl/
- IELTS: Please request that an official report be sent directly to UNU-IAS.
For more information on IELTS, please visit http://www.ielts.org/
How can you apply ?
Application forms must be typed and filled in English.
For apply online click here