National Fellowship for OBC Candidate scheme has been initiated keeping in view the social other backward classes (OBC) candidates of the society and to provide them opportunity to undertake advanced studies and research. The objective of this award is to provide fellowships in the form of financial assistance to unemployed students belonging to OBC to pursue higher studies leading to M.Phil and Ph.D degrees (full-time) in Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences and Engineering & Technology, in :-
• Universities/Institutions/ Colleges approved under Section 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act
• Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC.
• Universities/Institutions/College funded by Central/State Government.
• Institutes of National Importance.
NATURE OF ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE UNDER THE SCHEME:
- Slots The number of slots for fellowship are 300.
- Tenure The tenure of the fellowship is for five years and will be effective from 1st April of the selection year or the actual date of joining under the fellowship in the University/College/Institute, whichever is later. Fellowship will be granted upto the date of submission of Ph.D. Thesis or 5 years of tenure whichever is earlier. No extension is permissible beyond the total period of five years, and the fellow ceases to be a UGC research fellow immediately after expiry of the due date.
- The tenure of fellowship is initially for two years under the NF-OBC Scheme. Before expiry of this period, the work of the Fellow will be evaluated by a Committee of three members comprising of Head of the Department, Supervisor and one outside subject expert to be constituted by the concerned Department of the /University/Institution/College.
- If the research work is found satisfactory, his/her tenure will be extended further for a period of three years under the enhanced emoluments of the National Senior Research Fellowship (NSRF). The upgradation of fellowship from JRF to SRF will have to made at the level of university/institution/college itself based on recommendation of the Three members committee report (Annexure-VI).
- Thereafter such upgradation of fellowship in respect of awardee may be intimated to the identified Agency for further action. The work done and the time spent on scholarships or fellowships of any agency other than the UGC will not be taken into account while considering the proposals for enhancement in the value of fellowship. The fellowship may be withdrawn if the work is not considered satisfactory or the candidate fails in any of the examinations related to Ph.D.
- In case the work for the first two years is not found satisfactory, an additional year will be given to him/her for improvement. However, during this period he/she will be designated as National Junior Research Fellow. In such cases work will be evaluated again before third year of the tenure, and if improvement is found, the Fellow will get two more years under the NSRF. Thus, the total period of fellowship (NJRF and NSRF) is for five years, with no further provision of extension.
- However if the same is not found satisfactory, the fellow will continue to draw fellowship on JRF rates till the remaining period of tenure.
The candidate would be eligible for following financial assistance:
- Fellowship in Sciences, Humanities, and Social Sciences (JRF-SRF): Rs.25000/-p.m. for initial two years and Rs.28000/-p.m. for remaining tenure
- Contingency A (Humanities & Social Sciences): Rs.10000/-p.a. for initial two years and Rs.20500/-p.a. for remaining tenure
- Contingency B (Sciences, Engg. & Technology): Rs.12000/-p.a. for initial two years and Rs.25000/-p.a. for remaining tenure
- Escorts/Reader assistance (All Subjects): Rs.2000/- p.m. in cases of physically handicapped & blind candidates
- HRA (All Subjects): As per rules of the University/ Institutions
HOUSE RENT ALLOWANCE:
- Suitable single-seated hostel accommodation may be provided to the candidates in the institutions. In such cases, the fellow is eligible to draw only hostel fees excluding mess, electricity, water charges, etc. A certificate to this effect is to be furnished through the Registrar/Director/Principal. HRA is not permissible for those candidates who are staying in Hostel accommodation.
- In case of non-availability of hostel accommodation, the fellow may be provided with single accommodation by the host institution. In such cases, the rent paid by the fellow on actual basis may be reimbursed subject to the ceiling of HRA as per Govt. of India norms.
- If the fellow makes her own arrangements of accommodation, he/she may be entitled to draw HRA as per categorization of cities by the Govt. of India.