Ministry of Science and Technology Department of Science and Technology invites Applications/Nominations for INSPIRE Faculty Scheme - Assured Opportunity for Research Career (AORC).
This program aims to attract talent for study of science and careers with research. The importance of Assured Career Opportunity in R&D sector has been recognized. INSPIRE Faculty Scheme opens up an “Assured Opportunity for Research Career (AORC)” for young researchers in the age group of 27-32 years. It offers a contractual research awards to young achievers and opportunity for independent research in the near term and emerge as a future leader in the long term.
- Indian citizens and people of Indian origin including NRI/PIO status with PhD (in science, mathematics, engineering, pharmacy, medicine, and agriculture related subjects) from any recognized university in the world,
- Those who have submitted their PhD Theses and are awaiting award of the degree are also eligible. However, the award will only be given to the winning candidates whose theses will be approved by the department.
- He upper age limit as on 1st July 2016 should be 32 years for considering support for a period of 5 years. However, for SC and ST candidates upper age limit will be 35 years.
- Publication(s) in highly reputed Journal demonstrating research potential of the candidate.
- Candidates who are within top 1% at the School Leaving Examination, IIT-JEE rank, 1st Rank Holder either in graduation or post-graduation level university examination (which are used presently for identifying INSPIRE Scholars at under-graduate level and INSPIRE Fellows for doctoral degree)
HOW TO APPLY
Application can be done by three modes:
Direct, Nomination and Institution mode
Method of Selection
- Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi in coordination with DST will be implementing this INSPIRE Faculty Scheme up to the selection of candidates for awarding INSPIRE Faculty Award.
- A two-tier selection process i.e. Discipline-based Expert Committee in case of candidates under `Direct’ and `Nomination’ routes and Institutional level short-listing in `Institutional route’ followed by final selection by the Apex Level Committee.
- Discipline-wise committees of INSA would evaluate and screen the candidates who apply on Direct and Nominated Routes without support from host-institutions.
- Reputed academic institutions enjoying the status of Centre of Excellence like IITs, IISc, IISERs, TIFR, CSIR Laboratories etc. and Central & State Universities selected under PURSE scheme of DST could employ their own internal processes to short-list candidates and submit the list for final selection by the Apex Committee.
- The Apex Committee shall finally select short-listed candidates for offering INSPIRE Faculty Award under this Scheme and decision of the Apex Committee for selecting candidates in this Scheme shall be the final.
- Candidates, who have not identified host institutions at the time of their application, should do so immediately after their final selection. All selected candidates should avail the INSPIRE Faculty Award within 3 months of their final selection.
Number of INSPIRE Faculty Award per year
- The Scheme provides a provision of maximum 1000 INSPIRE Faculty Awards per year subject to rigorous and transparent criteria basis met by the potential aspirants.
Amount & Duration of each INSPIRE Faculty Award
- Each selected INSPIRE Faculty shall be eligible to receive a consolidated amount equivalent to the scale of the Assistant Professor of an IIT as Fellowship amount. In addition, a Research Grant of Rs 7 lakh per year for 5 years shall also be provided to each successful candidate.
- The INSPIRE Faculty Award is for a maximum period of 5 (five) years.
- Each INSPIRE Faculty Award shall be regulated as per the guidelines available at the website: www.online-inspire.gov.in . Candidates need to visit the website and the read the Guidelines for reference before applying in INSPIRE Faculty Award Scheme.
- The INSPIRE Faculty is eligible to apply for any competitive grant from agencies during the tenure of the INSPIRE Faculty position and would be favorably considered by DST for future support based on performance and technical merit.