The application for a scholarship follows a three-step procedure:
Step 1: Candidates will submit an application to the GS PoL, followed by
Step 2: A personal interview and a final nomination to the DAAD, followed by
Step 3: The standard application procedure at the DAAD (an online application with supporting documentation via the DAAD online portal).
Step 4: Applications must be sent via e-mail and also by post.
Step 5: Applications for the Graduate School must be submitted in written form (in English or German, preferably via e-mail in one PDF file) and should include:
- A letter of motivation explaining the application at the GSPoL
- Curriculum vitae (without photograph)
- Proof that the applicant has completed a qualifying course of studies – the degree awarded must at least be 2,0 (B) or better (according to § 5, Abs. 1 and 2 of the study regulations)
- Proof of German language skills according to appendix A (Anhang A) of the study regulations
- A detailed project proposal of the planned dissertation of about 10 pages in length, including a description of aims and planned topics, relevance within literary scholarship and method of research, as well as a detailed work and time schedule and a bibliography
- Two letters of reference.2 If the applicant holds a Bachelor’s degree or has completed the first course of studies with a regular duration of fewer than eight semesters, three references must be submitted.