The Charpak scholarship program is run by the Embassy of France in India.The programme is named after Georges Charpak (1924 - 2010). He was a French physicist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1992. During World War II, Georges Charpak served in the French Resistance. He was deported to the Nazi concentration camp of Dachau when he was 20 years old. Georges Charpak survived and received his PhD in Nuclear Physics at the age of 30 from the Collège de France. His later findings were of considerable significance for the advancement of civil nuclear engineering and biomedicine. After receiving his Nobel Prize, Georges Charpak became a tireless advocate of the “hands on” approach in science in elementary schools. His work lives on in tens of thousands of classrooms in France today.
The Charpak scholarship program offers three types of funding for Bachelor's and Master's level
- Research Internship Program
This program is designed for all students of economics, engineering and science background at the Bachelor’s or Master’s levels who plan to undertake an internship at a French laboratory during their academic break (May to July).
- Exchange Program
This program is designed for exchange students for a period of one to four months (duration of an academic semester) at the Bachelor’s or Master’s degree level.
- Master’s Program
This program is designed for one to two years of studies in France at the Master’s degree level
Eligibility: For Research Internship Program
- be an Indian national residing in India at the time of application
- not be more than 30 years old at the time of application
- be currently enrolled at an Indian institution of higher learning in a bachelors/masters program.
- be in possession of an admission/acceptance letter from a French laboratory where the research internship will be carried out.
- the duration of the internship must not be less than 2 months and must not exceed 3 months, i.e., during May-July 2016
Please note that final semester project and laboratory research at a partner institute in France is not applicable.
Eligibility: Master’s Program
- be an Indian national and reside in India.
- be a student currently enrolled at an Indian Institution of higher learning or a young professional employed in a company for a maximum of 3 years at the time of application
- be 30 years old maximum
- the course must take place in France. If you have one semester or more of studies in another country, the scholarship will not be provided during that period.
- An exception will be made for Charpak scholarship holders who are currently completing their M1 in France. They may reapply for a second year of funding in order to complete their M2. There is no automatic renewal of the scholarship at the M2 level. Acceptance will be subject to academic performance at the M1 level and a new statement of purpose.
- Non-scholarship holders currently pursuing M1 in France are not eligible for the scholarship.
How to apply?
Application can be done via email.
Scholarship benefits for all three programs
- Student visa fee waiver (16500 INR approx)
- Monthly stipend (duration and amount vary as per the program)
- Medical insurance coverage (300/year approx)
- Affordable student housing guaranteed