Objectives of the Central Sector Scholarship Schemes for Students With Disabilities are: (a) To support students with disabilities for their study in classes IX and X onwards so that the incidence of drop-out, especially in the transition from the elementary to the secondary stage is minimized, (b) To improve participation of students with disabilities in classes IX and X and at the pre-matric stage of education. (c) To support students with disabilities to study further in order to prepare themselves to earn their livelihood and to find a dignified place for themselves in the society as they face several barriers physical, financial, psychological, mental in pursuing studies and living with dignity. At times such students are deprived of harnessing their latent skills and thereby miss the opportunity. Pre-matric & Post-matric scholarship for Students with Disabilities 5 (d) All Graduate & Post Graduate courses recognised by UGC will be covered under Post-Matric Scholarship
General Conditions for both pre-matric and post-matric scholarship schemes:
- The scholarships are open to nationals of India only.
- The students having less than 40% disability (Certified by competent medical authority of the state Governments/UTs.) are not eligible.
- Not more than two disabled children of the same parents will be entitled to receive benefits of the scheme. Provided in case the second child is a twin, the scholarship under this scheme will be admissible to both the twins. Pre-matric & Post-matric scholarship for Students with Disabilities.
- Scholarship for studying in any class will be available for only one year. If a student has to repeat a class, she / he would not get scholarship for that class for a second (or subsequent) year.
- A scholarship holder under this scheme will not hold any other scholarship/stipend. If awarded any other scholarship/stipend, the student can exercise his/her option for either of the two scholarships/stipends, whichever is more beneficial to him/her and should inform the awarding authority through the Head of the Institution about the option made. No scholarship will be paid to the students under this scheme from the date he/she accepts another scholarship/stipend. The student can however, accept free lodging or a grant or ad-hoc monetary help from the State Government or any other source for the purchase of books, equipment or for meeting the expenses on board and lodging in addition to the scholarship amount paid under this scheme.
- Scholarship holders who are receiving coaching in any of the pre-examination training centres with financial assistance from the Central Government/ State Government will not be eligible for stipend under the coaching schemes for the duration of the coaching programme.
For Pre-matric scholarship - She/he should be a regular, full time student studying in class IX or X in a Government school or in a school recognized by Govt. or by a Central/State Board of Secondary Education.
For post-matric scholarship -
- These scholarships will be given for the study of all recognized post-matriculation or post-secondary courses pursued in recognized institutions with the following exceptions: Pre-matric & Post-matric scholarship for Students with Disabilities "Scholarships are not awarded for training courses like Aircraft Maintenance Engineer's Courses and Private Pilot license Courses. Courses at Training - Ship Dufferin(Now Rajendra), courses of training at the Military College, Dehradun, courses at Pre-examination Training Centres of all India and State levels."
- Only those candidates who have passed the Matriculation or Higher Secondary or any higher examination of a recognized University or Board of Secondary Education will be eligible.
- Courses at the level of post-graduate degree/diploma/ certificate are also covered under this scheme.
- Candidates who after passing one stage of education are studying in the same stage of education in different subject e.g. B.Com. after B.A. in other subject will not be eligible. However, students pursuing L.L.B/B.Ed/B.El.Ed. after passing B.A./B.Sc./B.E. etc. are eligible for Post-Matric Scholarship under this scheme.
- Students who are pursuing two different courses of study simultaneously can avail the scholarship for any one course only provided pursuance of such courses are permissible under the rules/regulations of the Educational Authority concerned.
- Students studying in Class XI of the Higher Secondary School courses of the XII Class of the Multipurpose High School will not be eligible for it being a continuous school course. However, in cases where Xth class examination of such courses is treated as equivalent to Matriculation and students who after passing Xth class join other courses, such students will be treated as postmatric students and will be eligible for the award of scholarships.
- Students who after failing or passing the under graduate examinations in Arts/Science/Commerce join any recognized professional or Technical certificate/diploma/degree courses will be awarded scholarships if otherwise eligible. No subsequent failure will be condoned except courses in Group-I. Pre-matric & Post-matric scholarship for Students with Disabilities
- Students who pursue their studies through correspondence courses are also eligible. The term correspondence includes distant and continuing education.
- Employed students whose income combined with the income of their parents/guardians does not exceed the maximum prescribed income ceiling are made eligible to post-matric scholarships to the extent of reimbursement of all compulsorily payable non-refundable fees.
ANNUAL PARENTAL/GUARDIAN'S INCOME
Scholarship will be paid to the students whose parents/ guardians'income from all sources does not exceed Rs. 2,00,000/- (Rupees two lakh only) per annum in case of Pre-matric scholarship scheme and Rs.2,50,000/- (Rupees two lakh fifty thousand only) per annum in case of Post-matric scholarship scheme.
NOTE 1: So long as either of the parents is alive, only income of the parents, as the case may be, from all sources has to be taken into account only and of no other member even though they may be earning. In the form of income declaration, income is to be declared on this basis. Only in the case where both the parents have died, the income of the guardian who is supporting the student in his/her studies has to be taken. Such students whose parent's income is affected due to unfortunate death of one of earning parents and resultantly comes within the income ceiling prescribed under the scheme, shall become eligible for scholarship, subject to their fulfilling
other conditions of eligibility, from the month in which such sad incidence takes place. Applications for scholarships from such students can be considered even after lapse of last date of receipt of applications, on compassionate grounds.
NOTE 2: Income certificate is required to be taken once only i.e. at the time of admission to courses which are continuing for more than one year.
NOTE 3: Income Ceiling would be revised once in every two years linking it with Consumer Price Index for Industrial Workers for the month of October of the year, preceding the year of revision and will be made effective from April.