8th India Innovation Initiative (i3) is a national-level competition organized by theConfederation of Indian Industry (CII) in partnership with the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Government of India with the principal aim of communicating and promoting science, technology and innovation among Indian citizens, and facilitating commercialization of most promising innovations.
The initiative aims to expand the entrepreneurial ecosystem of the country by fostering the spirit of innovation and entrepreneurship among young Indian citizens who have the ability to think out-of-the-box and the boldness and passion to solve contemporary industry and social challenges.
CII invites applications from Indian citizens, between 18 to 45 years, that include individuals or teams from academia, government laboratories, non-government R&D institutions and laboratories, incorporated early-stage start-ups and other non-incorporated entities.
All applications must fulfil the following criteria:
- An innovative product or technology, beyond the idea stage, solving at least one industrial or social challenge.
- The potential to commercialise within 2-3 years.
How to apply?
The principal mode of submitting applications for the 8th India Innovation Initiative 2016 is online. Applicants must fill up and submit the Programme Application Form available on the website www.i3.ciiinnovation.in along with all relevant documents as specified on this page http://i3.ciiinnovation.in/noc-documents.php .
In case the applicant is unable to access the internet then applications along with relevant documents, can also be sent by post/courier, as physical entries, to CII Gurgaon office at the below address: (In such cases the applicant should follow all rules of language and documentation, maintain proper formatting of the application and abide by the word limits specified)
“India Innovation Initiative – i3 2016”
Innovation & Entrepreneurship,
Confederation of Indian Industry
Plot No. 249-F, Udyog Vihar, Phase IV,
Sector 18, Gurgaon,
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Applicants must read the following rules and guidelines and adhere to them throughout the entire duration of the challenge from the time of the application till its completion:
- All applications must be submitted online, that is, through the India Innovation Initiative website. Given the sheer volume of applications received and sensitivity of the information and documentation to be submitted, it is not possible to accept physical applications. However, in case, the applicant is unable to access the internet, the complete application, written in English language and in hard copy form must be sent by post to CII Gurgaon office before the closing date for receiving applications.
- All applicants are required to read and sign the Certificate/Undertaking form that is attached as part of the Application Form. If selected, this Undertaking will be required to be submitted by the applicant in order to participate in the i3 National Fair 2016.
- The mode of conducting India Innovation Initiative 2016 is English. Hence, all applications must be submitted in standard written- English. Due to limitations of resource, applications in language(s) other than English will not be accepted.
- Only those applications that are complete in all respects can be submitted. All documentation, as required and specified on this website, should be provided by the applicant to ensure successful submission.
- Information once submitted as part of the application cannot be changed later on and no requests for change(s) in a submitted application will be entertained. This includes, names, titles of project, age, number of participants in a team, etc. Only requests for change in contact details and official or residential addresses will be attended.
- The decision of the i3 Jury at both stages - Online and National Fair - shall be final and binding. All participants have to abide by the decision of the jury.No interim or later communication with regard to the decision or its veracity shall be entertained and shall be viewed seriously.
- Innovations which participated in the i3 competition for last 3 years (2013, 2014 & 2015) are not eligible to take part in the India Innovation Initiative 2016 challenge. In case such innovations get detected at any stage of the competition, the concerned innovation shall immediately be disqualified and no appeal shall be entertained related to the disqualification. However, those finalists of i3 2015 who could not attend the i3 National Fair 2015 due to the unfortunate Chennai floods last year can “re-apply”.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Terms and Conditions for Participation in i3 2016
- The decision of the i3 Jury at all levels (Online and National Fair) shall be final and binding. All participants have to abide by the decision of the jury.
- No interim or later communication with regard to the decision or its veracity shall be entertained and shall be viewed seriously.
- CII may take necessary action as per its discretion against the participant, in the event of violation of the terms and conditions.
- Innovations which participated in the i3 competition for last 3 years (2015, 2014 & 2013) are not eligible to take part in the 8th India Innovation Initiative 2016. In case such innovations get detected at any stage of the competition, the concerned innovation shall immediately be disqualified and no appeal shall be entertained related to the disqualification.
- As a way to provide a fair chance to those innovators who were selected and invited to participate in the i3 National Fair 2015 but could not travel upto New Delhi due to the unfortunate Chennai Floods, can apply again for the 8th India Innovation Initiative 2016 but only on production of proof such as email communicating the inability to come to New Delhi. Re-applicants must write to Team i3 on email@example.com expressing their interest to re-apply along with the proof, as desired, before filling the application form on the website www.i3.ciiinnovation.in failing which their applications will not be accepted. Kindly note, this is an opportunity to re-apply for this year’s challenge and not a direct entry for the final round or i3 National Fair 2016.
- Dates pertaining to this challenge are subject to revision. CII reserves the right to revise the date(s) according to its discretion. In such case, CII will notify the change on this website.
- CII may take necessary action as per its discretion against the participant, in the event of violation of the rules and terms and conditions as stated above.
FOCUS AREAS FOR i3 2016
Applications are invited for innovative prototypes in one of the following areas:
- Energy (including renewable energy)
- Electrical (including Electronics & Communication)
- Healthcare & Sanitation
- IT &ITeS (solutions in any field)
- Life Sciences
- Bio Pharma
- Dairy Technology
- Food Technology
- Transportation & Logistics
Applications will be evaluated and shortlisted on the basis of the following criteria by the i3 Expert Committee comprising jury members drawn from the government, academia and industry.
- Creativity and originality of the innovation: The innovation must be novel in its area of application and have a high potential for societal impact. The innovation should be in the form of a prototype (working model of a product or service) and should not, by any means, be or include copied or stolen work.
- Application of technology: The innovation should attempt to address at least one existing industrial and social challenge related to the focus areas identified in the program.
- Potential for commercialization: The innovation should have a significant potential for commercialisation. Innovations with higher utility or problem solving capacity are more likely to be selected for commercialization. The innovator must be motivated to commercialize his/her innovation(s).
*Note: Any entry found to be plagiarized will be disqualified.
||Last date for receiving applications
||15th July, 2016
||Announcement of results for first level of selection process
||31st August, 2016
||Final competition at National Fair & Awards Ceremony 2016
||18th-19th October 2016
Note: Dates pertaining to this challenge are subject to revision. CII reserves the right to revise the date(s) according to its discretion. In such case, CII will notify the change on this website.
Evaluation & Selection
Step 1: Online Evaluation and shortlisting
All applications will undergo online evaluation by the i3 Expert Committee, according to a well-established criteria mapping novelty of the innovation, its applicability and potential societal impact along with its potential for commercialisation. After the jury complete the evaluations, names of the shortlisted innovators will be published on the i3 website. All shortlisted innovators will be informed & invited through email to participate at the final stage of evaluation at the National Fair.
Note: The i3 Expert Committee will comprise of high-profile jury members drawn from government, academia and industry, in addition to specialists from the innovation ecosystem.
Step 2: Participation at National Fair
The National Fair & Awards Ceremony is a two day event in New Delhi, where the shortlisted innovators will be invited to participate and exhibit their innovations/projects. A National level Jury, comprising eminent persons drawn from the government, academia and industry will evaluate the shortlisted projects on the basis of a live demonstration and Q&As with the innovators to select the final winners. Projects selected as winners across various categories will be felicitated at a grand Awards Ceremony after the fair.
The exhibition and fair will provide a unique opportunity to the selected innovators to network with i3 2016 partners,top venture capitalists, angel funds, scientists and professors and other experts in the innovation and start-up ecosystem and explore commercialization and mentoring support.
KEY DOCUMENTS NEEDED
- Brief profile of the innovator with passport-size photograph (During Registration)
- Completed PAF Template/ Document
a. Summary of the innovative solution
b. High resolution pictures of the prototype/working model
c. All questions pertaining to the invention
- Upload the signed and scanned Certificate/Undertaking form that is attached as part of the Application Form