With the objective to promote quality in education and to encourage competition in higher education space, the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) on Tuesday released the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).
The MHRD this year introduced three new categories - Medical, Architecture and Law to the existing ones -Overall, Universities, Engineering, Colleges, Pharmacy and Management. While rankings for Universities, Engineering, Management and Pharmacy were put in place in 2016, Overall and College categories were added in 2017.
IISC-Bangalore stood at No 1 position in overall category from last year, followed by IIT-Madras, IIT-Bombay, IIT-Delhi, IIT-Kharagpur, Jawahar Lal Nehru University (JNU), IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Roorkee, Banaras Hindu University (BHU-Varanasi) and Anna University, Chennai.
While announcing the NIRF results, Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said the government is providing support for setting up and upgrading of 10 public and 10 private Institutions of Eminence (IOEs) so as to enable them to reach amongst top 100 of world institutions ranking.
“The list of 20 IOEs will be released soon. Various initiatives of the MHRD such as GIAN, RUSA, SWAYAM, SWAYAM Prabha, TEQUIP III, Smart India Hackathon, etc are in direction to further boost the Quality, Research and Innovation in education,” he said.
In this third edition of India Rankings, total of 2,809 institutions participated in nine categories. Collectively they have submitted 3954 distinct profiles, some in multiple disciplines/categories. This includes 301 Universities, 906 Engineering Institutions, 487 Management Institutions, 286 Pharmacy Institutions, 71 Law Institutions, 101 Medical Institutions, 59 Architecture Institutions and 1087 General Degree Colleges.
In Engineering category, IIT Madras stood first in ranking followed by IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur, IIT Roorkee, IIT Guwahati, Anna University, IIT Hyderabad and Institute of Chemical Technology Mumbai.
Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad retained the top spot in Management Institutes category, while the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) led the Medical list. National Law School of India University, Bengaluru topped the list in Law Institute category, while National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Mohali topped the list in Pharmacy Institutes category.
The parameters used for India Rankings 2018 are broadly similar to those used in previous years. However, some of the sub-parameters have been further tweaked for greater robustness and accuracy. In particular for evaluating Research Impact, parameters for quality of publications have been enhanced to include the number of highly cited papers, (i.e., number of papers lying in the top 25 percentile of citations) in addition to the usual parameters of publications per faculty and citations per paper.
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore was again topped the list in University category, while Miranda House, Delhi University and Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur topped the list in Colleges and Architecture Institutes category respectively.
The ‘India Rankings 2018’ provides a common overall rank across all disciplines for those institutions that have more than 1,000 students. The institutes were judged on sub-parameters, including research impact, publications, citations, highly-cited papers and even patent information about institutes collected from third party databases to obtain an unbiased picture.
The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) was adopted by the MHRD in 2015 to rank institutions of higher education in India.
NIRF India Rankings 2018
1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
2. IIT Madras
3. IIT Bombay
4. IIT Delhi
5. IIT Kharagpur
6. Jawaharlal Nehru University
7. IIT Kanpur
8. IIT Roorkee
9. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
10. Anna University, Chennai
1. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
2. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
3. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
4. Anna University, Chennai
5. University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
6. Jadavpur University, Kolkata
7. University of Delhi, New Delhi
8. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
9. Savitribai Phule Pune University
10. Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
1) All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi
2) Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
3) Christian Medical College, Vellore
4) Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
5) King George`s Medical University, Lucknow
6) Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research, Puducherry
7) Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
8) Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi
9) Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
10) Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai
1. Miranda House, Delhi University
2. St, Stephens, Delhi University
3. Bishop Heber College, Tiruchirappalli
4. Hindu College, Delhi
5. Presidency College, Chennai
6. Loyola College, Chennai
7. Shri Ram College for Commerce, Delhi
8. Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi
9. Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira, Howrah
10. Madras Christian College, Chennai
1. IIT Madras
2. IIT Bombay
3. IIT Delhi
4. IIT Kharagpur
5. IIT Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
6. IIT Roorkee, Uttarakhand
7. IIT Guwahati, Assam
8. Anna University, Chennai
9. IIT, Hyderabad
10. Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
1. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ahmedabad
2. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bangalore
3. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Calcutta
4. Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Lucknow
5. Indian Institute of Technology, (IIT) Bombay
6. Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
7. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
8. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
9. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Roorkee
10. Xavier Labour Relations Institute, Jamshedpur
1)National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
2) National Law University, New Delhi
3) Nalsar University of Law, Hyderabad
4) Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Kharagpur
5) National Law University Jodhpur, Jodhpur
6) Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
7) The West Bengal National University of Juridicial Sciences, Kolkata
8) Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow
9) Symbiosis Law School, Pune
10) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar College of Law, Visakhapatnam
1) National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Mohali
2) Jamia Hamdard, Delhi
3) University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chandigarh
4) Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
5) Birla Institute of Technology & Science -Pilani
6) National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Hyderabad
7) Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
8) Bombay College of Pharmacy
9) SVKM, Mumbai
10) JSS College of Pharmacy, Mysore
1) Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
2) Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
3) School of Planning and Architecture New Delhi
4) College of Engineering Trivandrum, Thiruvananthapuram
5) School of Planning and Architecture Bhopal
6) Anna University, Chennai
7) JNAFAU School of Planning and Architecture, Hyderabad
8) Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
9) National Institute of Technology Hamirpur
10) Faculty of Architecture, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Udupi
Apr 4, 2018
Content not available.