“Students and public at large are informed that at present 24 self-styled and unrecognised institutions are functioning in contravention of the UGC Act in various parts of the country,” a notification from the UGC said.
“These universities have been declared as fake and are not entitled to confer any degrees,” it added.
Of the total 24 fake universities, at least eight are functioning in Delhi and they include Commercial University Ltd, United Nations University, Vocational University, ADR-Centric Juridical University, Indian Institution of Science and Engineering, Viswakarma Open University for Self-employment, Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya, and Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya.
Other universities listed as fake by the UGC were located in Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Odisha, Maharashtra, Kerala and Karnataka.
According to reports, the UGC had last year, too, released a list of such fake universities which included Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga (Bihar), Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP), Commercial University Ltd Daryaganj (New Delhi), United Nations University, Delhi and Vocational University, Delhi.
According to other reports, the UGC had last year asked 123 Deemed-to-be-Universities to drop the word 'University' from their names, saying that the use of word 'University' by Deemed-to-be universities is in violation of the Section 23 of the UGC Act.
As per the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, only a University established by a Central, State/ Provincial Act or an institution deemed to be university under section 3 or an institution especially empowered by an Act of Parliament can confer UGC specified degrees under section 22(3) of the Act.
1. Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar.
2. Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi.
3. United Nations University, Delhi.
4. Vocational University, Delhi.
5. ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi – 110008.
6. Indian Institution of Science and Engineering, New Delhi
7. Viswakarma Open University for Self-employment, India, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK DEPOT, New Delhi110033
8. Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), 351-352, Phase-I, Block-A, Vijay Vihar, Rithala, Rohini, Delhi-110085
9. BadaganviSarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum (Karnataka)
10. St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala
11. Raja Arabic University, Nagpur
12. Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, 80, Chowringhee Road, Kolkata- 20.
13. Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research, 8-A, Diamond Harbor Road Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpukur, Kolkata-700063.
14. Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi, UP/Jagatpuri, Delhi.
15. Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag, Allahabad ( UP )
16. Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad (UP)
17. National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur
18. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, (UP).
19. Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, KosiKalan, Mathura (UP).
20. Maharana Partap Shiksha NiketanVishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh (UP).
21. Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area, Khoda, Makanpur, Noida , Phase-II, (UP)
22. Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, AnupoornaBhawan, Plot No. 242, PaniTanki Road, Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
23. North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, University Road Baripada, Distt. Mayurbhanj, Odisha-757003
24. Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, No. 186, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road, Pondicherry-605009
In what can be called a sweet fruit of labour, the Ministry of Minority Affairs, on Wednesday, announced that more…
“Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another.” A quote by G.…
“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made…
“School is not the end but only the beginning of an education.” – Calvin Coolidge This quote of Calvin Coolidge…
17th of July is celebrated worldwide as the 'World Emoji Day' or 'Global Celebration of the Emoji'. We all know…